Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108989 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3920 on: September 14, 2006, 07:47:47 pm »
I swear... I just get more and more worried about Ellery with each chapter  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3921 on: September 14, 2006, 08:27:32 pm »
I swear... I just get more and more worried about Ellery with each chapter  :-\

Actually, I don't. Yes he has stress and all but think about it...if this had happened back in March, who would have taken care of him? Here he had someone that he could say to, "Sweetheart, take me to the hospital" and that sweetheart did just that. And stayed with him, brought him home, and tucked him into bed. Ellery has experienced a huge life change, just like Ennis. But the two of them are also realizing they can rely on each other, ask each other for help...it is all so real and so great.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3922 on: September 14, 2006, 10:15:02 pm »
Actually, I don't. Yes he has stress and all but think about it...if this had happened back in March, who would have taken care of him? Here he had someone that he could say to, "Sweetheart, take me to the hospital" and that sweetheart did just that. And stayed with him, brought him home, and tucked him into bed. Ellery has experienced a huge life change, just like Ennis. But the two of them are also realizing they can rely on each other, ask each other for help...it is all so real and so great.

L

I agree... but I still worry about the way he holds things in and how much anxiety he has that is now manifesting itself in a physical way. I'm with you in that the one thing that keeps me from worrying is that he has Ennis and that he's experiencing this change with him, but I still think that he has a little ways to go.  He's still thinking (*SPOILER* ahead from ch. 37) that Ennis may leave him for delivering the message about Worrell... hmmm...

You're right though, it is all so real and great!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3923 on: September 14, 2006, 10:58:46 pm »
You live and learn. I didn't know you could dislocate a rib from stress. :o :o With Ellery's weak back and his new propensity to dislocate his bones  Ennis may find his style somewhat cramped. Perhaps Ellery really is turning into a china doll. Getting fancy is getting chancy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:02:28 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3924 on: September 15, 2006, 01:59:05 am »
re: chap 38 -
I can just hear them 20 years from now:

Ennis smiles across the table at Ellery, "Hey, remember that time you got drunk, fell down, messed up your back, and I had to take you to the hospital and you were laid up for days?  And, hey, remember that other time when you dislocated a rib and thought you were gonna die?"

Ellery rolls his eyes and says, "Yeah Ennis, I remember... you'd never let me forget even if I wanted to..."
Meanwhile, the family gathered round the Thanksgiving table all laughs, having heard the stories of Ellery's 'illnesses' many times before...

i like this. it's how it should be.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3925 on: September 15, 2006, 03:13:31 am »
i like this. it's how it should be.

I really like it too  :)

Thanks Kelly  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3926 on: September 15, 2006, 03:15:25 am »
I keep Ellery tied to the bed and I spank him until he tells me what happens next.

He is of course, completely naked.
Ooooh Louise!!
I'm shocked, LOL!!
Can I join in?!?  ;D  :P  ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3927 on: September 15, 2006, 03:18:48 am »
You live and learn. I didn't know you could dislocate a rib from stress. :o :o With Ellery's weak back and his new propensity to dislocate his bones  Ennis may find his style somewhat cramped. Perhaps Ellery really is turning into a china doll. Getting fancy is getting chancy.
Great last line!  :D
Aww, I really feel sorry for Ellery.... :(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3928 on: September 15, 2006, 03:39:37 am »
Thank you all for the comments on realism in the chapters... yes, Ellery is manifesting definite stress in his life.  He has always been "damned skinny" and his own doctor probably by now would not have mentioned it.  But yes - you can pop a rib out of your chest from stress!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3929 on: September 15, 2006, 04:11:25 am »
Ooooh Louise!!
I'm shocked, LOL!!
Can I join in?!?  ;D  :P  ;D

Dont say things like that...you,ll start me off having "those" dreams again!! :o :o ;) ;)
And Louise you have taught me something I never knew, well apart from all the stuff about gay sex lol. I honestly never realised you could dislocate a rib from having stress. oooeeer, as I frequently say. :) Glad Ellery bought some of their toys back with him...we all know what happened the last time Ellery hurt himself dont we? ;) ;) ;)