Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2158038 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1230 on: January 26, 2007, 12:30:09 am »
I have software called "SunClock" installed on my desktop. Whenever I'm in contact with anyone overseas, I just look-up their profile to see where they're located and then consult the SunClock map, which I always have running in the background. The software is free. Do a search for SunClock in Google.

I'll check it out Kerry! It sounds interesting... and useful.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 26, 2007, 12:37:35 am »
The year was 1969. The place was  Saint Matthew's Catholic School, Indianapolis Indiana.

Sister Marie Michael. She was my first grade teacher. She was an old nun who would rock back and forth in place as she stood in front of the class. She was mean (but of course nearly all of those nuns were mean). She had black pointy "witches shoes" and she used to kick me in my ankles with them. OUCH!!!  >:(

I received a few swift "rappings" across my knuckles with her pointer a few times too, along with having my mouth sealed shut with masking tape if she felt I was talking too much.

I ate my homework a few times too. Yeah, ATE IT... literally.  :P

She had a paddle with holes in it. She would paddle us with it in front of the entire class. That REALLY hurt!  >:(

Oh yeah, I remember those nuns Kerry!  :P

Sister Theresa Claire was really mean too!

David - If ever there was anyone who needs to have a Hail Mary and an Our Father said for them, it's probably poor ol' Sr Marie Michael. Probably wouldn't hurt to light a candle or two for her, too, while you're at it - LOL  ;) (Say a rosary for her as well, while you're at it. And it wouldn't go astray to have a Novena said for her, too - LOL  ;)). She doesn't sound like a happy little possum to me - LOL ;). She shouldn't have taken it out on the children, but she sure does sound like a frustrated old cow to me!!!  :laugh:  
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1232 on: January 26, 2007, 12:49:05 am »
David - If ever there was anyone who needs to have a Hail Mary and an Our Father said for them, it's probably poor ol' Sr Marie Michael. Probably wouldn't hurt to light a candle or two for her, too, while you're at it - LOL  ;) (Say a rosary for her as well, while you're at it. And it wouldn't go astray to have a Novena said for her, too - LOL  ;)). She doesn't sound like a happy little possum to me - LOL ;). She shouldn't have taken it out on the children, but she sure does sound like a frustrated old cow to me!!!  :laugh:  

Oh! That's another one!  lol

I was an altar boy at Saint Matthew's. We always had to attend Mass on Tuesday and Friday mornings. Just after they took attendance, they would march all of us down to the church for morning Mass.

One morning, before school started (we all played on the playground after the bus dropped us off) me and a few other altar boys snuck into the church and lit all of the little red, blue and green votive candles.... ALL OF THEM!! We must have lit a couple hundred of them. Just as we were sneaking back out of the church, Monsignor Moriarty walked out of the Sacristy and caught us! He and a couple of the other priests grabbed us by the ear and threw us into the confessional. Then, after we made our confession, they took us to the Principal's office and called our parents. During Mass that morning, the Monsignor changed his sermon and told the entire congregation about what we did (he named all of us too) and instructed everyone on the "evils" of dishonesty and defacing a holy place. haha.

I think I was in detention for the next two or three months because of that!  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1233 on: January 26, 2007, 12:54:06 am »
She shouldn't have taken it out on the children, but she sure does sound like a frustrated old cow to me!!!  :laugh:  

That's how Catholic school was back then Kerry; at least here in the US. Many Catholics my age or older could tell you similar stories.

lol  It was ROUGH!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1234 on: January 26, 2007, 12:57:02 am »
I'm sure Sister Marie Michael has passed away by now though.

God, she was about 250 years old back in 1969 I think.

I remember she was tall and fairly muscular for a woman. She had a Rosie O'Donnell build, I guess you could say... only MUCH older than Rosie.  :P

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 26, 2007, 01:00:09 am »
Ah, the good ol' days!  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1236 on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:47 am »
Hey Kerry, drop us a post just as soon as you finish Chapter 12 and let us know how you liked it. I'm sure you will like it, but Chapter 12 is a very serious (for lack of a better word) chapter. We find out more about Ortiz in chapter 12. We also find out the depth of Hinestroza's cruelty.

I'll stop now because I don't want to post any spoilers. But let us know how you liked it, okay?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #1237 on: January 26, 2007, 02:40:06 am »
<Humming "Waltzing Matilda">

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

KERRY!!

:D   :D   :D  :D   :D

Hey David, I got a lump in my throat too, when I saw your message to Kerry.....and I always get goose-bumps when i hear Waltzing Matilda......Thanks mate!
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1238 on: January 26, 2007, 02:48:48 am »
David & Kerry -
Nice work on the Brokeback Prayer and Hail Mary Jack and Ennis!  Make sure our High Priestess (Meryl) sees these, hunh?!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 26, 2007, 03:14:12 am »
David & Kerry -
Nice work on the Brokeback Prayer and Hail Mary Jack and Ennis!  Make sure our High Priestess (Meryl) sees these, hunh?!
-Lynne

Why, thank ya, Lynne. I originally posted the Brokeback Prayer at the Cult thread and have received feedback from Meryl. I am about to cut-n-paste Hail Jack and Ennis there shortly, giving due credit to David.  ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν