Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2157331 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1380 on: February 01, 2007, 03:07:51 am »

The American Queen

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
« Reply #1381 on: February 01, 2007, 03:37:34 am »
yes right along  the river  nice brown crappy river
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1382 on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:55 am »
yes right along  the river  nice brown crappy river

You're looking at the Ohio river with the wrong set of eyes, Wulfie!

Quite often, when African American slaves sang about "The River Jordan" they were referring to the Ohio River. The Ohio river represented FREEDOM for them, and the only thing that separated them from this freedom was a body of water. Crossing the river was easier said than done though, as it was heavily patrolled by posse men and regulators.

Later, after the Civil War, the Ohio River served as the life blood between the North and the South. Ships and barges carried cargo up and down the river, providing much work and commerce for people in the Midwest and upper South.

Soon, interstates were built and the magnificent ports of Evansville and Madison Indiana suffered as cargo traffic shifted from river boat to semi trailer trucks. Many of these ports soon disappeared and a great chapter of American history was closed forever.

But the Ohio river still flows past states like Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia. Yes Richard, it's a crappy river, and it's a damn shame we have polluted it so much. But the Ohio remains a great and powerful river; etching its way through the great American landscape just as it etched its way through our great, and often sad American history.

injest

« Reply #1383 on: February 01, 2007, 09:03:27 am »
I love rivers no matter what they look like. just something about that water flowing past. They are special in a way I don't know how to explain but feel full of potential and full of life...

injest

« Reply #1384 on: February 01, 2007, 09:06:42 am »
Haha. Well, I think the "curse" only counts for the Cubs! We're playing the Bears. They do have one of the worst Quarterbacks in the NFL though. So maybe the QB is cursing them this year.  :)

ok maybe I mean jinx...see Lovie Smith's family lives here in East Texas...they don't go to his games anymore because when they go....he loses! They wouldn't go to the playoffs because of it, there was a big special segment on the news about it! BUT they ARE going to the Super Bowl! sooo.........

;) ;) :laugh:

injest

« Reply #1385 on: February 01, 2007, 09:47:35 am »
and by the way...We will be watching the Super Bowl!!

and since the Cowboys aren't in there (will they ever be again?? :P) we will root for the Colts!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1386 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:42 am »
and by the way...We will be watching the Super Bowl!!

and since the Cowboys aren't in there (will they ever be again?? :P) we will root for the Colts!!

Thank You Jess!!  :D

Currently it's a balmy and tropical 7 F (-14 C) in Indianapolis with winds from the Northwest at 30 MPH (50 KPH).

Yes folks, Indiana is a frozen tundra, and not a mouse is stirring on the streets tonight. But I can tell you one thing: there will not be ONE single television in this ENTIRE city that won't be tuned in to Channel 8 for the Super Bowl this  Sunday evening!

So eat your heart out, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition". "Beauty and the Geek" and "Grease: You're the One That I Want".... Hoosiers won't be watching you this Sunday evening!

Please remember to root for our Indianapolis Colts, whether you plan to watch the Super Bowl or not! We're gonna need all the help we can get!  :)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #1387 on: February 03, 2007, 04:02:07 am »
Good luck tomorrow David on your Indiana Colts!   I'll be rooting for ya!   I don't usually watch football cause basically I really don't understand it, but most of the people around here do.   So I am sure I will hear about it or even end up watching some of the game!   If anyone asks me why  I chose Indiana Colts,  I will tell them one of my best buddies is the Colts biggest fan.  And he's right from the Heartland! 8)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:13:31 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 03, 2007, 08:09:56 am »
But the Ohio remains a great and powerful river; etching its way through the great American landscape just as it etched its way through our great, and often sad American history.

That was a wonderful post, David. You have a delightful way with words. Your post was very informative for me, as a non-American. There was a documentary on Australian television tonight on the Mississippi River. It was made by the BBC (UK television) and was beautifully shot. It depicted the many moods of the river, throughout all the seasons of the year. I found the river to be particularly beautiful in autum, when an eerie mist rises from the water. Certainly, one of the great rivers of the world.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 03, 2007, 08:13:24 am »
I love your new avatar, David. Cody is sooooo cute!  :-*  Is he named after Buffalo Bill?   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν