Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2157679 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1830 on: July 30, 2007, 08:04:03 pm »

HEY!!!!!! That's not fair!  >:(

See what she's trying to do, David? She is trying to tear us apart, but that's not gonna happen, is it? Hm?

It will never happen Melissa. Me and you are tight and we always will be. Nobody will tear us apart; not even Jess.  ;)  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #1831 on: July 30, 2007, 08:12:42 pm »
David, I have perhaps an unusual suggestion for you. I've had a hankering for a story (maybe fanfic wouldn't be the right word; perhaps more like a backstory) that employed the fictional Brokeback Mountain from a Native American perspective. I think it could be so fascinating to read a tale depicting that setting before those of European descent settled the West, and to show the mountain's numinous power in full force long before Ennis and Jack even entered the picture. I have a belief that the lives of all that have gone before us cast their shadows over our present activities, and I wonder about what other human stories ole Brokeback harbored that may have tinged the story between the two boys we have come to know so well.

Given your expertise in your Native American heritage and your wonderful storytelling skills, I think you would be a natural for such a work, if you had any inclination to pursue it. Just an idea to throw out there. Also, if you didn't feel like undertaking this kind of project, would anyone know a Native American-inflected story with Brokeback as a setting (whether past or present)?

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #1832 on: July 30, 2007, 08:34:36 pm »
Hello David!

How could I miss this thread? I'll have to take the time to delve into it. Just wanted to let you know that I liked reading about you. I love that you play the violin (I am learning, and have been for a few years only) and I love, love, love the cello !

I will be back here,

Isabelle  :-*
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1833 on: July 30, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »
Hello David!

How could I miss this thread? I'll have to take the time to delve into it. Just wanted to let you know that I liked reading about you. I love that you play the violin (I am learning, and have been for a few years only) and I love, love, love the cello !

I will be back here,

Isabelle  :-*

Welcome welcome welcome Isabelle! Bienvenue!!!  :D

I'd LOVE it if you posted here sometimes!! That's wonderful you are learning the violin! It's a difficult instrument but very rewarding also. I've spent many MANY hours playing my violin and cello. I love it!!

Please come back Isabelle! I'm glad you found my little blog and you are welcome to post here anytime you want!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1834 on: July 30, 2007, 08:48:55 pm »
David, I have perhaps an unusual suggestion for you. I've had a hankering for a story (maybe fanfic wouldn't be the right word; perhaps more like a backstory) that employed the fictional Brokeback Mountain from a Native American perspective. I think it could be so fascinating to read a tale depicting that setting before those of European descent settled the West, and to show the mountain's numinous power in full force long before Ennis and Jack even entered the picture. I have a belief that the lives of all that have gone before us cast their shadows over our present activities, and I wonder about what other human stories ole Brokeback harbored that may have tinged the story between the two boys we have come to know so well.

Given your expertise in your Native American heritage and your wonderful storytelling skills, I think you would be a natural for such a work, if you had any inclination to pursue it. Just an idea to throw out there. Also, if you didn't feel like undertaking this kind of project, would anyone know a Native American-inflected story with Brokeback as a setting (whether past or present)?

Hi Scott! I never thought about this before. It sounds like an interesting idea, doesn't it?

But I would have to change the story somewhat wouldn't I? Many Native American tribes fully accepted gay people, including the Sioux. Not only were gay people accepted, they were honored. Much of Brokeback Mountain dealt with the intolerance gay people often faced. It paralyzed Ennis, didn't it? This would not have happened at all within the Sioux tribes. So, a Native American version of Brokeback Mountain would be very different from the story we all know and love. But maybe I could figure out something!  :D

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Scott! I appreciate it!  :) 

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1835 on: July 30, 2007, 10:14:27 pm »
Cute Oreo avatar!  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #1836 on: July 30, 2007, 10:14:48 pm »
Hi Scott! I never thought about this before. It sounds like an interesting idea, doesn't it?

But I would have to change the story somewhat wouldn't I? Many Native American tribes fully accepted gay people, including the Sioux. Not only were gay people accepted, they were honored. Much of Brokeback Mountain dealt with the intolerance gay people often faced. It paralyzed Ennis, didn't it? This would not have happened at all within the Sioux tribes. So, a Native American version of Brokeback Mountain would be very different from the story we all know and love. But maybe I could figure out something!  :D

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Scott! I appreciate it!  :) 

but while they were on the mountain it was perfect! Only when they returned to the 'modern' world that things got bad.

There was a magic in the mountain...a Spirit there. There on the mountain, in tune and living IN nature, they were safe.

injest

« Reply #1837 on: July 30, 2007, 10:17:04 pm »
If I understand what Scott is wanting ....is a story of Native American lovers that lived on Brokeback in the days before the white man came.  Native Americans whose spirits watched over the lovers on Brokeback...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1838 on: July 31, 2007, 02:52:51 am »
Full Moon Over Indianapolis

Taken just minutes ago from the roof of my house just outside my bedroom window!

Isn't it pretty!!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1839 on: July 31, 2007, 02:54:09 am »
Cute Oreo avatar!  :)

Thank you Shasta!!  :D