Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2156905 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3910 on: March 06, 2009, 10:52:55 am »
{{{{{{CHUCK}}}}}}

{{{{{{KELDA}}}}}}}

Thanks for the hugs! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3911 on: March 06, 2009, 11:50:25 am »
anytime, buddy!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3912 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:49 pm »
I had a panic attack this morning and it was really awful. I don't know how many of you are familiar with panic attacks, but you literally feel like you are going to die. This one came out of nowhere. My heart started beating very fast and furiously, I started sweating, shaking, my hands tingled, I felt like I was going to faint, and I couldn't think clearly. It only lasted a couple of minutes and then it went away. About 15 minutes later it started again, lasted a couple of minutes and then went away. I went through about 6 cycles of this, until I finally took one of my Dad's ativans. Then it stopped and I felt better. I haven't had a panic attack in years!

I've been very stressed from losing my job, and just before my attack today I was watching the news and they were talking about the DOW dropping below 7,000 points and I started thinking about how much worse things may get.

But I really thought I was dying. It was awful! I hope it doesn't happen again for a long time.

Oh I am so sorry for you. I had my first panicattacks in my teens and to be hoest for the past 20 years have been pretty panicfree. Mine started about a month ago ands are every bit as bad as I remembered.If it happens at the till, it is awful, I sweat, feel sick/faint/confused and terrified and I just want to get them through so I can get oustside for some air.

I know it is all the stress, and know realistically I will not die, but they are hellish.I find the paper bag helps. No not the one over my head.!!
The physical symptoms of the panics are in part caused by hyperventillating, which reduces CO2 levels and also excess adrenalin and cortisol, 2 stres hormones., you can  increase CO2 levels very quickly by breathing into a bag then breathing back in the exhaled CO2.

If at all possible once you have done that, then do something active which will help mop up the excess adrenalin and cortisol.The reason it is so horrible, is that you should only pump out excess stress hormones if you are in a fight or flight situation.If you are not, the blood becomes saturated with them and as there is no fight or flight situation they make you feel so hyper.Physical activity will help mop up the excess and reduce symptoms.

I hope they settle for you soon as they really are very, very scary.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3913 on: March 06, 2009, 09:35:53 pm »
Thanks for all the information Fiona! I always feel a bit better when I find out I'm not the only one going through this - although I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. When I go through one, it almost feels as if I'm about to have a heart attack. My heart pounds very fast and hard and I'm filled with a feeling of dread. And like you, I also breath very fast, I'm completely in a state of panic, I begin to sweat, hot flashes, sharp tingling sensations on my face and hands, etc...

I suffered my first panic attack in twenty years last Monday. I'd forgotten how terrible they really are. The first panic attack on Monday was by far the worst of all the attacks this week. When the first panic attack struck, I honestly thought I felt my soul discorporate. I realize that really didn't happen and it was only my imagination, but I actually thought I was dying. I just laid there on the couch and waited for the final crushing pain as my heart stopped beating. But thankfully it never happened. I was comforted reading an article on Wikipedia about panic attacks. It said nobody has ever actually died from one, but that doesn't change the fact that it FEELS like it when I'm experiencing it. People who've never suffered from one of these attacks do NOT understand how horrible and awful they are.

So far today there have been no panic attacks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)

I hope you don't have any more of them either, Fiona! :-*

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3914 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:00 pm »
You are very welcome David, there is some confort in numbers !!

My middle child the tennis mad son, had his first panic attack at age 10. My husband was away and he came rushing into me saying I had to call the ambulance as he was dying. He was petrified.

The poor lttle thing, we did the bag thing and I was very calm and told him exactly what was going on, stroking him and rubbing his back in very slow circular motions. He calmed down and  because the paper bag worked pretty well, he manages them much better.

I was so shocked that it was him who started to get them as he is the most calm and laid back of all my kids.What he does do however is internalise all his worries.I now know the signs, he will want to get into bed with me, and then 2-3days later he will tell me what the problem was.

He also gets big tummy problem before an important match, we have several rest room stops on route, once on the court he is fine.

I am hoping your experience was just a blip and not the start again.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3915 on: March 06, 2009, 10:04:48 pm »

My middle child the tennis mad son, had his first panic attack at age 10. My husband was away and he came rushing into me saying I had to call the ambulance as he was dying. He was petrified.
The poor lttle thing, we did the bag thing and I was very calm and told him exactly what was going on, stroking him and rubbing his back in very slow circular motions. He calmed down and  because the paper bag worked pretty well, he manages them much better.

I was so shocked that it was him who started to get them as he is the most calm and laid back of all my kids.What he does do however is internalise all his worries.I now know the signs, he will want to get into bed with me, and then 2-3days later he will tell me what the problem was.

He also gets big tummy problem before an important match, we have several rest room stops on route, once on the court he is fine.

That is especially sad to hear. I hate to think of a child going through something like that! Poor little guy!

YES!!! I do the exact same thing. I've been internalizing things my entire life!

I will try to remember the bag trick if and when the next one strikes. I've never tried it before. I just sit there or lay there and wait for it to pass. :(

Trying to walk it off seems to work too... sometimes.

injest

« Reply #3916 on: March 06, 2009, 10:12:44 pm »

stress, it even affects horses....when a horse is nervous, he gets diarhea too..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3917 on: March 07, 2009, 12:46:02 am »
stress, it even affects horses....when a horse is nervous, he gets diarhea too..

When we get nervous everything speeds up, including our digestive systems. Often times it just runs right through. Over and over again. So far I haven't had that problem. That would be ALL I need! Panick attacks on the toilet, how fun! >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3918 on: March 07, 2009, 12:48:52 am »
It's 82 freaking degrees in this house and the heat is NOT on! And it's only 70 outside! God, I'm burning up in here, but I refuse to turn on the air condition in MARCH! I'm just not going to do it. This is Indiana after all, not Hawaii! But I can't figure out why it's so hot. :(

I'd open a window but I don't have the screens in and I'm scared my cat may try to jump out. He's a house cat and he NEVER goes outside.

I guess I'll just sit here and burn up. :laugh:  :P

injest

« Reply #3919 on: March 07, 2009, 12:56:09 am »
It's 82 freaking degrees in this house and the heat is NOT on! And it's only 70 outside! God, I'm burning up in here, but I refuse to turn on the air condition in MARCH! I'm just not going to do it. This is Indiana after all, not Hawaii! But I can't figure out why it's so hot. :(

I'd open a window but I don't have the screens in and I'm scared my cat may try to jump out. He's a house cat and he NEVER goes outside.

I guess I'll just sit here and burn up. :laugh:  :P

or

you

could

TURN ON THE AC!! doesnt' matter what month it is!! silly!