Author Topic: Interview with Sam Elliott!  (Read 7239 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Interview with Sam Elliott!
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:01:52 pm »
http://boxofficemojo.com/features/?id=2042&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo: Did you see Brokeback Mountain?

Sam Elliott: I did. I went with my wife [actress Katharine Ross (The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)] and I didn't really get what all the to-do was about. It is a beautiful film and I was thrilled for Ang [Lee, who directed Elliott in Hulk], but it isn't a Western. For one thing, it's about a couple of sheepherders, not cattlemen. The whole homosexual thing was interesting—they stepped over the line—but Katharine and I both looked at it and thought, 'what's the big deal?'

Box Office Mojo: Some conservatives claim it denigrates the cowboy. What do you think?

Sam Elliott: I do not think it's anti-cowboy. I have tremendous respect for Ang as a filmmaker.

Just thought it was interesting....

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: Interview with Sam Elliott!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:06:31 pm »
Stepped over the line?
Hey, isn't Sam Elliott dead? Oh no, that's his career.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:13:54 pm »
Yeeeahh - the last thing I remember that guy being in was Roadhouse - what a classic.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:35:23 pm »
He was in the Hulk.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 05:10:37 pm »
Katherine Ross was so beautiful back in Butch Cassidy and Stepford Wives days (she probably still is, i just haven't seen her).  I've thought that those close ups of Anne Hathaway when they dance the first time look kind of like Katherine Ross.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:04:47 pm »
Katherine Ross was so beautiful back in Butch Cassidy and Stepford Wives days (she probably still is, i just haven't seen her).  I've thought that those close ups of Anne Hathaway when they dance the first time look kind of like Katherine Ross.

you and I are often on the same frequency. I thought the same thing.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:15:36 pm »

I agree, Katharine Ross was beautiful (and probably still is). Let's not forget, she was in The Graduate, too.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:20:13 pm »
Stepped over the line?
Hey, isn't Sam Elliott dead? Oh no, that's his career.

:D

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 06:21:53 pm »
Didn't Katharine Ross play Dr. Thurman in Donnie Darko?

Offline RingerFanatic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 07:36:33 pm »
Yep! She was Donnie Darko's therapist. She must have been impressed with Jake's talents. As for Sam Elliot's comment of "crossing the line". What did he mean? I just saw him in "Thank You For Smoking". He plays the Marlboro Man who sues the cigarette company after contracting lung cancer. I know he played a lot of cowboys in the 70's and 80's. He's kind of in that Nick Nolte category....played rugged tough guys in the early days and now looks like death warmed over.