Author Topic: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks  (Read 32302 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks
« on: November 19, 2006, 04:10:22 pm »
This will be the thread for appetizers and snacks.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:32:30 pm »
No recipe here, but we used to have a family tradition of making popcorn for a snack after we came home from Christmas Eve church. Nice memories. ...  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:01:05 pm »
My best appetizers

Go to Trader Joe's, preferably with no kids in tow.

Cruise the frozen aisle.  Walk slowly, stopping frequently.  Take time to smile at other browsers.  Talk about giving thanks! 

Choose two packages each of three kinds of appetizers (the spanakopita, mini-quiches, everything I've tried is good.)

Take them home and now you are set.

While you are there, stock up on their tomatillo salsa, and get your Tom's of Maine deodorant and toothpaste for much less than anywhere else. 

Eat some chocolate you just bought there, and wash it down with a Crystal Geyser sparkling juice, driving home in the car.

Count your blessings! 

:)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:35:50 am by Ellemeno »

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:51:44 am »
This is my favorite all time appetizer.

Hot Artichoke Dip

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish. Blend together the cheese, mayonnaise and whipping cream. Stir in the artichokes, green onions and pimentos. Mix well, and transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.

serve with Ritz Vegetable Crackers or Bagle Chips  :D Delicious!
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:56:25 am »
Got this one in Trader Joe's yesterday, the samples they handed out were to die for.... SO, I plan to make it for the family Thursday to nibble on during the football game

Holiday Meatballs

Ingredients

1 bag of Trader Joe's Party size Meatballs
1 Jar-18 oz Trader Joe's Cranberry Sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar

Directions

Mix cranberry sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar in skillet.  Heat through while stirring constantly,when sauce begins to bubble add defrosted meatballs and heat until hot.  Serve in chafing dish or mini crock pot with tooth picks.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
Some spanish Appetizers. The so called Tapas!

Mussels Vinaigrette (Mejillones a la vinagreta)

Ingredients

2 1/2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
Shredded lettuce
2 tbsp minced green onion
2 tbsp minced green pepper
2 tbsp minced red pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
Dash of red pepper sauce
Salt to taste

Preparation

Steam open the mussels. Put them in a deep pan with the water. Cover the pan and put over a high heat, shaking the pan, until the shells open. Remove from heat and discard any mussels that do not open.

When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the empty shells. (Mussels can be cooked in advance and refrigerated.) Shortly before serving, arrange mussels on a bed of shredded lettuce on a serving platter. In a bowl combine the onion, green and red pepper, parsley, oil, and vinegar. Season with red pepper sauce and salt. Spoon the mixture into the mussels in their shells.

Makes 30 tapas

---------------------

Crisp Spiced potatoes (Patatas Bravas)

Ingredients

3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 large potatoes, peeled, and cut to 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons of paprika
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Chopped parsley, to garnish
1 cup  oil, for frying
3 tablespoon olive oil

Preparation

The brava sauce

In a saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft. Turn off the heat, and add the paprika, Tabasco sauce, and thyme, stirring well. Transfer to a bowl and add the ketchup and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

The potatoes

Sprinkle the potatoes lightly with salt and black pepper. In a large skillet fry the potatoes in 1 cup of oil until cooked through and golden-brown, stirring occasionally. Drain the potatoes on paper towels, check the seasoning, add more salt if necessary, and set it aside.

Mix the potatoes with the sauce inmediately before serving to ensure that the potatos retain their crispness. You can also serve it with the sauce aside, on a separate bowl. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm.

---------------------

Spanish Omelette (Tortilla de patatas)

Ingredients

1/2 pint of oil
5 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced and lightly sprinkled with salt
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 eggs
Salt

Preparation

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the potato slices. Try to keep the potato slices separated so they will not stick together. Cook, turning occasionally, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain into a colander, leaving about 3 tablespoons of oil in the skillet.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add the potatoes, and stirr to coat with the egg. Add the egg-coated potatoes to the very hot oil in the skillet, spreading them evenly to completely cover the base of the skillet. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook, shaking the pan frequently, until mixture is half set.

Use a plate to cover the skillet and invert the omelette away from the hand holding the plate (so as not to burn your hand with any escaping oil). Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and slide the omelette back into the skillet on its uncooked side. Cook until completely set. Allow the omelette to cool, and then cut it into wedges.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

----------------------------

Garlic mushrooms (Champiñones al ajillo)

1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the mushrooms over high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, the white wine and salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the garlic and mushrooms have softened, and the liquid has dried. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve on small platters.

------------------------------------------------------

Garlic Shrimp (Gambas al ajillo)

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons white whine
Chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley for garnish

Preparation

In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Raise the heat to high and add the shrimp, lemon juice and the wine. Stir well, then sauté, stirring briskly, until the shrimp turn pink and curl slightly, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:03:47 am »
Here's one I like, partly because it's so easy. Warning: I made it up.

Smoked-salmon pinwheels

A couple of flour tortillas, big ones, I guess you could try the flavored ones but I've always just used plain
Cream cheese
Lemon
Cold-smoked salmon (the kind that's thin, flat and flexible -- like lox -- not the kind that's chunky and flaky, which is hot smoked)
Red onion, finely chopped
Capers, if desired
Fresh dill

Let the tortillas and cream cheese get at or near room temp. Mix cream cheese with lemon juice until it's creamy and spreadable but not outright liquidy -- about the consistency of peanut butter or tub margarine. Throw in some finely grated lemon peel if you like it extra lemony. Spread the tortillas with a thin layer of cream cheese, right to the edges. Lay strips of salmon on top, parallel, with spaces of cream cheese in between. If the salmon is in fairly even strips (perhaps even cut in thinner strips), it will look cool when finished. Leave a margin of space around the edge that has cream cheese but no salmon.

Sprinkle with little snippets of fresh dill, the finely chopped onion, and the capers if you want them. Then roll as tightly as possible, like a wrap, so the salmon strips run the length of the inside of the roll (in other words, don't roll it up perpendicularly to the salmon). Press the cream cheese-spread edge to seal. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or so. When the wraps are pretty firm, take off the plastic and cut into slices, about half to 3/4 inch wide.

Arrange on plate and garnish with sprigs of dill.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:19:59 am »
Here's one I like, partly because it's so easy. Warning: I made it up.

Smoked-salmon pinwheels

A couple of flour tortillas, big ones, I guess you could try the flavored ones but I've always just used plain
Cream cheese
Lemon
Cold-smoked salmon (the kind that's thin, flat and flexible -- like lox -- not the kind that's chunky and flaky, which is hot smoked)
Red onion, finely chopped
Capers, if desired
Fresh dill

Let the tortillas and cream cheese get at or near room temp. Mix cream cheese with lemon juice until it's creamy and spreadable but not outright liquidy -- about the consistency of peanut butter or tub margarine. Throw in some finely grated lemon peel if you like it extra lemony. Spread the tortillas with a thin layer of cream cheese, right to the edges. Lay strips of salmon on top, parallel, with spaces of cream cheese in between. If the salmon is in fairly even strips (perhaps even cut in thinner strips), it will look cool when finished. Leave a margin of space around the edge that has cream cheese but no salmon.

Sprinkle with little snippets of fresh dill, the finely chopped onion, and the capers if you want them. Then roll as tightly as possible, like a wrap, so the salmon strips run the length of the inside of the roll (in other words, don't roll it up perpendicularly to the salmon). Press the cream cheese-spread edge to seal. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or so. When the wraps are pretty firm, take off the plastic and cut into slices, about half to 3/4 inch wide.

Arrange on plate and garnish with sprigs of dill.

Oh man.  I want this NOW.  Lemon, caper, smoked salmon.  Yumbo.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 02:28:26 am »

Oh man.  I want this NOW.  Lemon, caper, smoked salmon.  Yumbo.

Thanks! Yeah, it's fun to think of some good flavor combo and then put it in a new context.

For instance, I recently made this really good pumpkin ravioli with prosciutto and sage. So when I had some friends over for brunch, I put the same flavors into a strata. Like bread pudding, with a savory pumpkin custard, sprinkled with prosciutto, sage and toasted walnuts. I won't post the recipe, because it wasn't THAT great. But it was a fun experiment. (The ravioli dish, however, IS that great.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:40:45 am »
Has anyone here ever tried that powdered eggnog? I tried it this year, but I accidentally mixed it in with milk and it was way too rich. I didn't read the directions. The second time I used water, like it told me too and it tasted like sweet watery powdered milk.

It was terrible.

Have any of you had success with the powdered form? Maybe I should avoid it next year. It really tasted awful. Both times. :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.