Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2630213 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3130 on: December 12, 2007, 05:04:41 pm »
I thought they only had palmetto bugs in Florida?  ???
Nope, all over the south!
  :P
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3131 on: December 12, 2007, 05:05:59 pm »
Kudzu jelly? That sounds awful. ...  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3132 on: December 12, 2007, 05:06:43 pm »
Nope, all over the south!
  :P

Well, the South is welcome to keep 'em.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3133 on: December 12, 2007, 05:31:02 pm »
South Carolina is the Palmetto state. Maybe even the Palmetto Bug state.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3134 on: December 12, 2007, 05:35:40 pm »
South Carolina is the Palmetto state. Maybe even the Palmetto Bug state.
They are all over down there.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

karen1129

« Reply #3135 on: December 12, 2007, 06:03:08 pm »
They are all over down there.

Here in Texas too !  Yuk.
Come across a couple of them suckers when I was packing our office up.
I screamed ! ;D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3136 on: December 12, 2007, 06:37:26 pm »

It was many years ago I was on a trip with my in-laws  to meet with the husbands side of the family.
We drove thru Arizona and New Mexico .  When nature called.  We stopped at a rest area for the bathroom.
Wow, I almost left without going... The place had those things all over the floor.......I was thankfully much more
limber back then.. I sat on that stool, feet and all.......... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   skeered the p outa me

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3137 on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:14 pm »
Here in Texas too !  Yuk.
Come across a couple of them suckers when I was packing our office up.
I screamed ! ;D

I probably would, too!  :laugh: From the looks of that picture, they are big suckers!  :o

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3138 on: December 12, 2007, 07:44:52 pm »
I hate bugs....but roaches especially!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3139 on: December 14, 2007, 10:43:47 am »
And yes, we drove over a median strip. :)

We met up with Cowboy Wayne in front of a greasy spoon looking place that the Wall Street Journal had said had the best burgers in America, but the wait was too long. So he climbed in the truck with us and we headed off in another direction.

Wayne, the first brokie I ever met, still smiling, still a solid mass of joy. We drove deep into the century old neighborhood where he and his partner live in a magnificent old home with an alley out back just big enough for the truck to fit in. Then a couple of steps took us onto the patio of eden. It was simply amazing. Lemon trees, Calamondins, Inpatients, Crowns of Thorns in bloom, Aloe enough to put out a wildfire, you've seen the pictures. We walked about in amazement and there in the back I spied it, and jiggled my finger at it: The Night Blooming Sirius. The plant I had compared Rich to in SF. Well of course Wayne would have one.

And then inside, the long leaved ficus tree, two stories tall, like something out of Dr. Seuss, ready to envelope anyone who got close enough and spit them back out a cartoon character. The house full of art, beautiful, vibrant colors and luridness, cats and possums free to come and go as they pleased as long as the weather held. It was just wonderful. I have never seen a chocolate ceiling before.

Wayne loaded us up with plants, each receiving a crown of thorns (as we take up our crosses, huh?) and once the truck was extricated we headed to the cemetery.

It was dusk when we got there, the restaurant was called Six Feet Under, and took its name from the old walled and forested cemetery across the street. The nice bespeckled young lady at the door asked if we would like to sit out on the deck. Hell yeah, it was in the 70's (F) and so on the 8th of December, we three friends sat at a high top table, killing a pitcher of Pabst Blue Ribbon on a gorgeous summer evening, the day dying in the west. Questions and answers flying, phones ringing. More pitchers arriving, like the air itself were not intoxicating enough. I took pictures, so I could remember.

I wished Wayne could have gone on with us, but alas he is still dissertating, but maybe, just maybe, we will be reunited again this summer in Wyoming. Maybe over a plate of bacon straight off the hog at the Main Street Diner in Buffalo, maybe with friends. But you don't forget your first. ;)

The evening took us to a C&W bar were a nice young man with laryngitis tried to help me around the dance floor, fast, fast, slow, a couple of times, bless his heart, it was already too late in the evening for that. But not too late to look out on the multitude that had gathered, and who moved as one, one mind, one heart almost, one love.

And even in the big city, you can still see the stars from the bed of a pick up.     

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."