Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2630055 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2660 on: November 18, 2007, 06:39:13 pm »
actually it does!! Truman sent me some postcards from Calgary...they were a little late but they made it!

;)

Law, sending them things off was like an act of faith. Maybe they'll make it, maybe they won;t I thought, but I am glad they did.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2661 on: November 18, 2007, 06:50:37 pm »
So on a fall day before thanksgiving (in the US) what do you do to amuse yourself: Road trip.

We decided to take Highway 420 to Roanoke, and that road always leads to confusion. We're gonna leave at 11:30 in the morning. So, at 1:15 in the afternoon we are finaly on our way. We get to the county line and oh we gotta go back, someone forgot their ATM card and all their other plastic. So back to the house we go, get the stuff and lets try this again.

We are going to meet his son and the son's girlfriend for dinner at an Indian Resturant. What time I ask....6 pm. Okay, so what are we going to do in the mean while? Well, go to Fresh Market of course. Fresh Market is a whole foods, organically grown produce place that features free coffee in dixie cups that was calling my name out on the interstate. I downed three cups in rapid suscession and helped paruse for munchies snacks for the trip to the star. They had all kinds of weird stuff like freeze dried cantalope....

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2662 on: November 18, 2007, 07:41:31 pm »
The fresh market was also where I found the picture of the day, the Buddah's hands, which was the strangest of all the strange fruit in the place. We ended up buying raisins and wasabi covered peanut, which are the absolute bomb! I shy away from peanuts, so I just ate the wasabi off of them. Talk about addictive!

So with out supplies on the dumbass mule we began our assent to the star, the Mill Mountain Star (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/VAROAstar.html) the worlds largest man made star on the only mountain located inside the corporate limits of a city (talk about obscure symbolism). The road is a newer one that winds around the back of the mountain, not the insane switch back road my sister coasted down in a 1965 Pylmouth Valient that was out of gas and that the Blessed Frump-Frump was made to climb back in 1970. A truly horrible tale that makes me cry even now.  (http://rtonline1.roanoke.com/history/frumpfrump.html)

There should always be mountains. Some place where one can be suspended above everyday affrais, look down upon them infact. My Granny was like that, I remember hearing as a child how in 1936 when they first got a car she wanted nothing else but to go up on the mountain, to gaze out at the world below from Lovers Leap. It is sacred space, and on that day its paths were littered with leaves, my boots crunching and kicking them with abandon. The path lead to the over look, and with the star like some grand corona behind us we gazed out at the Roanoke valley splayed before us. The river bisecting the interstate, the old neighborhoods, the high rises downtown, the open spaces, the rail yards, the airport, the malls, beyond them more mountains, Tinker, Poor, McAfee's Knob. Normal affaris, a quarter of a million lives, each complex and constantly changing. Each like a bubble in the boiling caulderon of life. Here one can step back and take a look at it. Marbel at it, like watching a story on a hugh TV.

I paid my tribute to the star, the incredible monstrosity the post war generation planted there, this land make that has stood guard over my comings and goings all my life. A few years ago it was dark for about 6 months for repair work and Mill Mountain looked so strange in its natural state. It is a part of things, it has always been as far as my mind was concerned.

The afternoon lead to reunion, acquition of bottles of Mead, a game of pool where I got to sink the winning 8 ball for the first time ever (yes, I called it) an opportunity to purchase a Dulcimer (Not this week) and a delicious meal of Lamb Saag and other unpronouncible treats. 

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2663 on: November 18, 2007, 08:00:11 pm »
true!  it's soooo great to sign on each day, and talk with the people I have been so fortunate to meet, and chat with the ones I hope to meet soon!

;D

I sure do agree with that Chuck!!!

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2664 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:50 pm »
Cool pics, big bro!  Thanks for posting them!

I sure do agree with that Chuck!!!

;)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2665 on: November 18, 2007, 08:05:06 pm »
And Jack, how you been? How are things at Biltmore?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2666 on: November 18, 2007, 09:22:55 pm »
Lynne, that's about the best I've heard it said.  I'm taking "internet" off when I speak of my online friends from now on.  Friends are friends, and I'm glad to count you among them!  :-*

Thank you, Meryl.  That means the world to me.  Henceforth, no preface needed.  Glory came to the condo I'm sharing this weekend, and I introduced her to Darla and Darral (housemates).  After 'nice to meet you' was 'Do you work together?'  I said 'No, we met through Brokeback.'  Puzzled looks abounded, but so what?!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2667 on: November 18, 2007, 09:26:18 pm »
Truman - thanks for sharing about your day and the star...It's always 'just like being there' for me!  :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2668 on: November 18, 2007, 09:58:02 pm »
Oh Tru!
You know what I'm doin now?
Your pics make me so homesick!
I remeber going up the mountain when I was little and seeing the Star always!
I would get so excited at night cause I would get to see the star all lited up!!
I remeber every summer goingup for Nannies church picnic.
We always went the back way through Floyd. Preacher Sawyer never liked the Interstate.
I  used toget scared drivin that rickity ole church bus through the mountains.
But when we got there and went to the zoo and saw the star I was ok. I usually slept on Nannies lap allthe wayhome! ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2669 on: November 18, 2007, 10:05:35 pm »
I usually slept on Nannies lap allthe wayhome! ;D

I can just see you. Bet you were a cute little bug.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.