Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2629875 times)

moremojo

Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3920 on: February 18, 2008, 01:12:36 pm »
Anyone now notice that both the first and last words heard in the movie begin with the letter 'S'? Coincidence?
I had an insight Friday night that ties into this observation; I don't know if someone else may have shared it before, but even if that were the case, I think it would bear repeating.

It is this: Far more salient than the first and last words in the movie beginning with the same letter is the fact that they are both "swear" words...the last one literally so. The first swearing is uttered by Jack in Ennis's presence, before a trailer, while the last swearing is spoken by Ennis, inside a trailer, before totemic items that symbolically represent Jack's presence. One of those totemic items is Jack's blue shirt, the very one we see him wear when he is introduced on screen. Also, both swearings come out of emotional moments that are normally deemed "negative" in our culture--Jack's opening annoyance and frustration contrasted with Ennis's grief at the end.

All this strikes me as another vivid instance of the elegant bookending that is such a prominent yet understated feature of this great film. I wanted to put this out there in case others might find it interesting to think about.

moremojo

« Reply #3921 on: February 18, 2008, 01:15:47 pm »
In any event, I would assume that it's a mere coincidence that first and last words of the film begin with the letter "S" and that they're both swearwords.  Scott threw something out there, and I picked it up and ran with it.
I just came across these posts after submitting my own most recent one, so I see that others were thinking along similar lines. I think there really could be something to this; I tend to think that very little in this film is pure coincidence.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3922 on: February 18, 2008, 06:24:51 pm »
I had an insight Friday night that ties into this observation; I don't know if someone else may have shared it before, but even if that were the case, I think it would bear repeating.

It is this: Far more salient than the first and last words in the movie beginning with the same letter is the fact that they are both "swear" words...the last one literally so. The first swearing is uttered by Jack in Ennis's presence, before a trailer, while the last swearing is spoken by Ennis, inside a trailer, before totemic items that symbolically represent Jack's presence. One of those totemic items is Jack's blue shirt, the very one we see him wear when he is introduced on screen. Also, both swearings come out of emotional moments that are normally deemed "negative" in our culture--Jack's opening annoyance and frustration contrasted with Ennis's grief at the end.

All this strikes me as another vivid instance of the elegant bookending that is such a prominent yet understated feature of this great film. I wanted to put this out there in case others might find it interesting to think about.

I love this newly-found bookend, Truman, gary and Scott.  Has anyone thought of adding it to the bookends thread in the Open Forum?  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3923 on: February 19, 2008, 04:57:48 pm »
Thank kew Jezus the meowing and rear end dancing has seased!

Crybaby is out of heat, and now ready to head to the vet for her shots and liberation from having to go thru that again.

She was back to her rambunctious self this morning. Waiting for me outside the bathroom, letting me start up the stairs and then shooting past me at full speed, into the living room, behind the piano, then into the kitchen where she rolled on her back and tugged at the dangling corner of the table cloth. She is a sight.

The wind is howling now, been getting stronger all day, the drafts shaking the leaves of the Peace Lilly, the windchimes working overtime. I love the sound of the wind. It acoustic corseness is perfect, scratching some itch I don't keep my mind on.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3924 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21:53 pm »
Big brother, it is good to see you've survived Crybaby's heat!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3925 on: February 19, 2008, 07:33:51 pm »
A funny story about being in heat. When my nephew was little they had a Siamese cat named Brandy. Brandy was in heat and meowing to the top of her lungs. My nephew asked my sister what was wrong that cat. My sister said she was in heat. She expected to have to give an explanation to him of what that meant, but he just said ok and went on. A couple days after that Brandy was still in heat and doing the same thing. My nephew once again asked what was wrong with the cat. My sister once again said she was in heat. My nephew said, "But it's not even hot in here."

I'm glad for you and Crybaby that her in heat session has ended. I sure am glad people don't act that way :laugh:

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3926 on: February 19, 2008, 08:16:01 pm »

Jack you are one crazy >>  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Can you  just picture that.   Oh my god,,,,,now that would be a riot.

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3927 on: February 19, 2008, 09:13:37 pm »
I sure am glad people don't act that way :laugh:

Oh, on second though, maybe I'll just....no comment  :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3928 on: February 19, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jack, just how isolated is that cabin you live in?   :P

ROFLMFAO!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

injest

« Reply #3929 on: February 19, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »
ROFLMFAO!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pffft! I have seen it and you ain't got a FA to ROTFLO...