Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2631094 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4050 on: February 29, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »
Yes it was actually their summer house believe it or not. It is definitely more of a castle than a house. It is truly a remarkable place, but I cannot imagine living in it as a private home. Being on one side of it would be like being in a different city if you were there with someone. The saying goes is that George could look from the back porch and know that he owned everything in sight which as Truman indicates is now the Pisgah National Forest. It really reminds me more of a hotel and I once saw on eBay where someone was advertising a postcard of it as "The Biltmore Hotel." The Vanderbilts main house was in Manhattan. When I was in NYC this past summer the guide on the Gray Line pointed out where the Vanderbilts lived. You could definitely see the resemblance although the Biltmore House looks much larger. The winery used to be where the cows lived that produced Biltmore milk.

And Gary I hope your parents do have their own Biltmore!!!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4051 on: February 29, 2008, 05:25:54 pm »
So I googled the Vanderblit. I'm not too familiar with rich folks history. According to Wikipedia Anderson Cooper is a descendant of the Vanderbilt. His mama is Gloria Vanderbilt. I know her name from the perfume but I had no idea he is her son.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4052 on: February 29, 2008, 05:39:19 pm »
Yes, Gloria was the subject of a horribly nasty divorce in the 1930s, her mother was accused of being a lesbian.

She had two sons, and lived, may still live, on the upper east side near Karl Schurz park and the Gracie Mansion where the mayor lives. One of her sons committed suicide by jumping out the window. A friend of mine from college lived nearby and told me all about it.

And Anderson Cooper, we're just waiting for him to step out of the closet. He is slipped up a few times on air before.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZioEg_XDBw[/youtube]

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4053 on: February 29, 2008, 05:43:10 pm »
Yes, Gloria was the subject of a horribly nasty divorce in the 1930s, her mother was accused of being a lesbian.

She had two sons, and lived, may still live, on the upper east side near Karl Schurz park and the Gracie Mansion where the mayor lives. One of her sons committed suicide by jumping out the window. A friend of mine from college lived nearby and told me all about it.

And Anderson Cooper, we're just waiting for him to step out of the closet. He is slipped up a few times on air before.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZioEg_XDBw[/youtube]

Gawker website has been trying to out him for a while. People keep sending pictures of Anderson and his boyfriend and they use it as evidence but nothing has been definite so far.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #4054 on: February 29, 2008, 06:16:41 pm »

that house, seems to be built in a way that would allow the most amount of light to
enter.  It seems that with all those front extensions and all the wonderful windows on each floor.
There would be an endless supply of light, as long as three was light available from outside.

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4055 on: March 01, 2008, 01:34:49 am »
It is quite awesome Janice. I guess they knew about letting light in way back there. I wish you could see the house one day. If it is up for sale, maybe you could buy it  ;)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4056 on: March 01, 2008, 11:19:03 am »
Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Suzanne the plans they made put an end to you
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just can't remember who to send it to
--James Taylor

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T35WXFOmwI[/youtube]

http://www.etext.org/Zines/Kudzu/library/essays/Adkins-Pilgrimage.html

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #4057 on: March 01, 2008, 09:44:02 pm »

Where Eagles Soar..................Carolyn Southworth

Beautiful mind

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4058 on: March 03, 2008, 08:18:21 pm »
When I was young, and went to concerts, people would hold their lit cigarette lighters over their heads, those who were able to do so, and sway back and forth to the music.

Now the crowd I hand with is older, like me, they no longer search us going in, they now sell us beer once we get inside.

And when the music starts, they reach into their pockets, pull out their cell phone, and hold them aloft, and sway back and forth to the music.

They always remind me of lightin' bugs.

injest

« Reply #4059 on: March 03, 2008, 08:26:29 pm »
just as long as they don't start talking about that distinctive odor wafting thru the crowd...

cause you know someone SOMEWHERE is gonna be sneaking some BenGay up in there....all that standing and dancing makes for sore joints....