Author Topic: Karel's commentary on the "bravery" of BBM; writer's Ossana's rebuttal  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
First, read Karel's commentary on the media's talk of "bravery" for all involved in making Brokeback Mountain.  While he loves the movie, he's angry at how the media has portrayed the cast and makers of BBM as "brave."  To read it, follow this link:

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid23334.asp

Then read Diana Ossana's response/rebuttal to Karel: 

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid24445.asp

Together, these articles are food for thought, and in the end, I think they're both right.  What's your take?
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Once again, thanks for posting this Impish, and I love the friction that's at work here.  It's only when things become uncomfortable there is a motivation to change. :)

As I've mentioned in another post, I really don't think it's reasonable or even appropriate to use BBM as a vehicle for activism, and I'm suspicious of those who want to make it so.  It smacks of personal agenda and sensationalism to me.

I agree with a lot of what Karel has to say when he says (paraphrased) equality will only truly exist when being gay is mundane to the point of not even being noticed (this is my dream too).  However I do see "bravery" in both Jake & Health.  Not because of the film or their roles, or even the line that "straights should not do gay roles" (please), but because they now are being forced into being brave because every time they open their mouths they get accused of something, or get someone offside.

I've listened to the recorded interview with Heath when he said "Fireman are brave, I'm an actor", and it was both humble and insightful.  So it seems to me the only ones who think they were brave, or more precisely want to think they were brave, are the journalists themselves.  But hang on, isn't Karel a journalist too?  Now I'm confused, who or what are we complaining about again?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 05:56:17 am by Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
So it seems to me the only ones who think they were brave, or more precisely want to think they were brave, are the journalists themselves.  But hang on, isn't Karel a journalist too?  Now I'm confused, who or what are we complaining about again?

Ha!  ;D 

But there's no confusion, really; Karel was complaining about how jounalists -- or more broadly, the media -- was focusing in on the "bravery" of the actors, rather than on the story, message or moral of the movie itself.  The quote you provided from Heath is great, and  essentially  agrees with Karel. 

Karel put it nicely at the end of his article when he said the truly brave are  the gay people living openly in today's society, not the  actors who portray them.  I think Heath would agree with that also.  In fact, I'm guessin' Heath would wish he had thought of that retort himself!   ;)
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.