Author Topic: Can We Get the New People to Say Hi?  (Read 47693 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: Can We Get the New People to Say Hi?
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2006, 03:41:23 am »
Hi Fran. Don't worry about your post sounding depressing or not. You are introducing yourself, in relation to what you are feeling now, and trust me, I hear ya!  Your introduction is perfectly fit too since it is in relation to the movie we all love here.
Hi everyone, I'm Isabelle, and I'm a broke-aholic. I'm French, but only marginally.
WELCOME.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2006, 07:10:13 am »
Hello all -- I've also been asked to introduce myself on this thread by my good Brokie friend Becky!
My name is James - I used to post quite regularly on the Chez Tremblay imdb board before all the trolls got to it, but for the past few weeks I have not had as much opportunity to post on BetterMost as I'd like since I've been so busy with my uni degree lately - its settled down a bit now though, for a few weeks before my summer exams, so hopefully I'll be able to pop in once in a while. All the Tremblayans were great on the imdb board, and I'm sure they're all great here too - hope I get to know all you brokies better soon.

A little bit about myself: I'm a huge film fan - my 2 favourite films are Jurassic Park and LA Confidential, with BBM a close 3rd. No film has effected me emotionally as much as BBM though - it took a v.long time to get past that sad, haunting stage after my first viewing in January. I'm from North Wales - a beautiful part of the world - and studying at Nottingham Uni. My other love apart from film is tea. A cup of tea does wonders really. Making a cuppa passes the time when I'm bored, gives me something to do when I should be doing my essays (if im not on imdb that is), plus tea seems to cheer me up whenever I'm feeling down. Plus I'm discovering new teas all the time, all with lots of different flavours... Greatest invention in the world as far as I'm concerned!
Yay! You took my VERY subtle hint....I am learning from Will! But I swear I am the only British person who doesn't like tea! Everyone thinks I am weird that I only drink soft drinks. No coffee, no tea, don't leave no sign....sorry I slipped into brokeback then! I hope you post more here when you get time off from your exams!
Love,
Becky :-*
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2006, 07:32:30 am »
Woohoo, welcome all new posting peeps!!

My name is James...
... and studying at Nottingham Uni.

One of my best friends goes to Nottingham.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2006, 08:06:03 am »
I'm Ray, the annoying one.    :P

Ray Annoying? Ray Nasty!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2006, 01:59:20 pm »
Hey Chris - I do remember you from imdb! Its good to see all that we've all found this great place to post on...

Oh, a man after my own heart.  I sometimes think I could measure my life in cups of tea. 

Me too! However, while I consider myself a huge tea fan, I'm really an amateur compared to most of my family, and probably most Brits - my sister honestly gets through about 12 cups a day! I'm usually five or six a day... better than being addicted to ciggies though eh!

Whereabouts in North Wales are you from?  I grew up in London, myself. 

I'm from a tiny village called Betws-y-Coed in Snowdonia - its quite popular with tourists so you might have heard of it. Are you still living in London now? Hopefully I'll be spending a good deal of my summer hols in London this year with my brother.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2006, 03:02:46 pm »
Hiya James,

No, I'm going to university in Toronto, Canada (at the imaginatively named University of Toronto), but my parents still live in London, and I consider it home in the most basic and fundamental way.  This summer will be the first time in a long while that I won't be back.  I'm going to miss is so much.  Ugh, me in Toronto in the humidity.  Fun, fun, fun.

No, I haven't heard of Bets-y-Coed.  I have to know how to pronounce that, though.  Is it 'betsy code'?  I've got it all wrong, I'm sure!

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2006, 07:07:40 pm »
I have to know how to pronounce that, though.  Is it 'betsy code'?  I've got it all wrong, I'm sure!

That's quite funny you should say that, because that is exactly how all English tourists pronounce it when they're there, but is unfortunately wrong.

It's pronounced Bet-oos Err Coyd.

As for humid summers... well it certainly rained a lot where I grew up, so I know how awful rainy summers can be - hope it isnt too bad this year in Toronto!

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2006, 12:07:30 am »
first time poster..here from IMDB....you are most welcoming, thanks fo rthe invite!!
i am a totally sold out Brokie..
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2006, 02:29:26 pm »
Welcome, maggiemommy, James, and all! So refreshing to hear new voices on this board! Fran, your story is a lot like mine, so we can be depressed together and so maybe not so depressed. I also have two teenagers, one heading out the door this fall to uni, as they say here. And I'm about ready to panic because she's the only one in my household who shares my love for BBM and views on the world, being inclusive and loving others for who they are rather than condemning. For the past week or two it's dawned on me that I am embarking on a full blown mid-life crisis! I'm just trying to get used to the idea; it's scary, but also elating, because there are so many possibilities out there, that I had turned my back on until recently. Maybe I'll just sneak off to uni with my daughter! That's probably her worst nightmare. I hope I do at least one thing radical during this crisis and not lose the opportunity! Wish me luck!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2006, 03:22:02 pm »
Front-Ranger, I am sorry to say that it makes me feel less alone to know that others are having major mid-life crises and thinking of making serious changes, because this is happening to me too, as I am approaching 40! maybe we should have a 'mid-life crisis' victims' convention some time?
" - I'm vegan now."