Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476101 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2006, 04:01:38 pm »
Bump for new people...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2006, 12:30:21 pm »
bump
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #322 on: January 05, 2007, 10:42:02 pm »
Bump
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2007, 06:06:52 am »
Hi everyone!

I haven't waded through the WHOLE thread, so forgive me if I make a reapeat here, but here goes (and by the way, today is my 1st BBM anniversary. Sunday, January 29th 2006 was the day my life started being deeply shaken...).
So after 12 or 13 viewings, I have just noticed that as Ennis leaves "on one of his little trips", after Alma says "Forgettin' something?" and Ennis has gone, she stares blankly and 2 male voices on the radio say:

A: "Why did you do that?"
B: "Well, what can I say?"

I thought this was just spot on!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:03:39 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2007, 06:32:58 am »
That is a good one! Those radio guys are like a Greek chorus!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2007, 02:20:19 pm »
Hi everyone!

I haven't waded throught the WHOLE thread, so forgive me if I make a reapeat here, but here goes (and by the way, today is my 1st BBM anniversary. Sunday, January 29th 2006 was the day my life started being deeply shaken...).
So after 12 or 13 viewings, I have just noticed that as Ennis leaves "on one of his little trips", after Alma says "Forgettin' something?" and Ennis has gone, she stares blankly and 2 male voices on the radio say:

A: "Why did you do that?"
B: "Well, what can I say?"

I thought this was just spot on!

Wow, you are SO observant...er...with your ears  8). Yet another great excuse to watch it again and pick up on things I missed the other 46 times  ::). Man, what a rich film...

No idea why, but today I couldn't stop thinking about the look on Ennis's face when Jack yaks on about the sheep killed by lightening. I've always loved and been intrigued by that look - at first I thought it was maybe just a reaction to the imagined 'smell' of the sheep, or Jack's use of the word 'asphixiate' (no idea how to spell it properly), but recently I've wondered if it's also a look of confusion, fear, and fascination with the very fact that Jack is speaking to him so easily, spinning him a yarn as if they were old buddies. Maybe this is the first time anyone's talked to Ennis in this way? I get the impression that Ennis's family weren't a talkative bunch.

What do y'all think?
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Scott6373

« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2007, 02:25:55 pm »
Try this one on for size.  I noticed this quite out of the blue.  When Jack is laying on the ground playing the harmonica...I could swear he's playing "He Was a Friend of Mine".  Granted his playing is bad, but the melodic attempts follow the line of that song.  Now I'm not sure when Dylan released that song.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2007, 02:37:44 pm »
Try this one on for size.  I noticed this quite out of the blue.  When Jack is laying on the ground playing the harmonica...I could swear he's playing "He Was a Friend of Mine".  Granted his playing is bad, but the melodic attempts follow the line of that song.  Now I'm not sure when Dylan released that song.

You're right, Scott. But I only heard that after listening to the BBM soundtrack (Jake 'performance' is on it). I have no idea when Dylan released that song, but if I remember correctly, 'The Devil's Right Hand's release was not in line with the timing of the film either. Maybe they didn't really care much about that.

Jake was so adorable playing that harmonica... :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:28 pm »
I couldn't stop thinking about the look on Ennis's face when Jack yaks on about the sheep killed by lightening. I've always loved and been intrigued by that look - at first I thought it was maybe just a reaction to the imagined 'smell' of the sheep, or Jack's use of the word 'asphixiate' (no idea how to spell it properly), but recently I've wondered if it's also a look of confusion, fear, and fascination with the very fact that Jack is speaking to him so easily, spinning him a yarn as if they were old buddies.

I've always seen it as a little bit of all of these, particularly the first and third. Heath's acting is so good he can convey two completely different reactions in one facial expression. He seems amazed that someone is interested in having this kind of friendly conversation with him.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2007, 02:49:58 pm »
Try this one on for size.  I noticed this quite out of the blue.  When Jack is laying the ground playing the harmonica...I could swear he's playing "He Was a Friend of Mine".  Granted his playing is bad, but the melodic attempts follow the line of that song.  Now I'm not sure when Dylan released that song.

You're not alone with this POV. Ruthlessly, I and others discussed exactly this a while ago. He said, both times Jack plays the harmonica (setting the second camp and after they untangled them Chilean sheep from theirs) he plays "He Was a Friend of Mine". I agree that both times he plays the same song. But to this day I can't hear any similarity between what Jack plays and said song  :-\.

Ruthlessly's theory went on that every singing/humming/playing music in the movie (not the soundtrack) was a foreshadowing of Jack's death. E.g. Ennis humming Streets of Laredo (Cowboy's lament), Water Walking Jesus and this one.