Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770544 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3400 on: January 06, 2008, 06:37:29 pm »
L - wouldn't it be more correct to say "the pair have one child together" - or is had right because the actual birthing is over...?

It is not an issue of the birth, but whether "pair" is considered singular or plural...and when it is referring to people, apparently it can be either. This is from dictionary.com

Pair signifying two individuals can take either a singular or plural verb, but it is usually followed by a plural verb and referred to by a plural pronoun: The guilty pair have not been seen since their escape.

So either "had" or "have" would be correct.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3401 on: January 06, 2008, 07:17:07 pm »
It is not an issue of the birth, but whether "pair" is considered singular or plural...and when it is referring to people, apparently it can be either. This is from dictionary.com

Pair signifying two individuals can take either a singular or plural verb, but it is usually followed by a plural verb and referred to by a plural pronoun: The guilty pair have not been seen since their escape.

So either "had" or "have" would be correct.

I think it's not that the actual birthing is over, but that the pair is over. If the sentence read "The pair have one child together," it would sound like they were still a pair.

I think singular is more technically correct, but it just sounds too weird -- "the pair has one child together."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3402 on: January 06, 2008, 07:50:48 pm »
I think it's not that the actual birthing is over, but that the pair is over. If the sentence read "The pair have one child together," it would sound like they were still a pair.

I think singular is more technically correct, but it just sounds too weird -- "the pair has one child together."

Had is past tense, which probably implies that the pair is over, they had a baby, and is correct since pair can be singular or plural (in this case singular).

Has, by itself (not as a helper verb) is present tense, and would imply that they are still together. The same with have (which is plural)..."The pair have a child together" would imply they are still together.

So, probably, all in all, "The pair had a child together" is the best usage.

Funny, they can get their grammar correct but not their facts! LOL

L

(PS, thanks to Louise who assisted me on this grammar consultation)

PPS, I am sure the non-native English speakers who regularly visit this thread (Chrissi, Snavel, Belbmmfan) will really appreciate this impromptu grammar lesson! LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #3403 on: January 06, 2008, 10:14:49 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's Priceless!

Heath certainly has Monster Balls here lately if the tabloid news of his  various exploits are to be believed

LOL!  Yeah, what was I thinking!  Obviously I was not sober when I wrote that.

yb

« Reply #3404 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:03 pm »

PPS, I am sure the non-native English speakers who regularly visit this thread (Chrissi, Snavel, Belbmmfan) will really appreciate this impromptu grammar lesson! LOL

Eh, you've forgotten me. 

And, thanks for this lesson, using the correct tense and prepositions have been very trying iindeed.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3405 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:59 pm »
Eh, you've forgotten me. 

And, thanks for this lesson, using the correct tense and prepositions have been very trying iindeed.

Oh, yb, I am so sorry! Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3406 on: January 07, 2008, 02:09:37 am »
Betty, your English is so good.  Same for Chrissi, Mel, Fabienne, Mikaela (who also was missed on that little list).

Back to HeathHookUp conjecture.  It was also reported that he was/is seeing Lily Cole.  Who knows.  He ain't seeing me.

I had dinner tonight with a group of people, one of whom works with the One Foundation.  She was throwing names around like Bono and Puff Daddy, and I kept wanting to ask her if she'd met Heath, but I could pre-hear what my voice would sound like and I couldn't ask.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3407 on: January 07, 2008, 06:57:54 am »

Ha ha. Just the opposite for this non-native speaker. To me "the pair have" sounds strange, because it's only one pair, therefore singular. But I'm happy "the pair has" is at least not wrong, even if it sounds strange to native speakers.
And yes, I always enjoy any grammar or vocabulary lesson.
You have no idea how much my English has improved since I'm a regular on boards where English is the main language (but somtimes it leads to funny mistakes on my side in pronouncing a word - ask Leslie or Louise. For example, I pronounced 'dough' like 'tough'  :laugh:).

Back to HeathHookUp conjecture.  It was also reported that he was/is seeing Lily Cole.  Who knows.  He ain't seeing me.

Me neither. This makes two. Maybe it's easier to count the women in the world he's not seeing than the ones he's (allegedly) dating.  :laugh:

...but I could pre-hear what my voice would sound like and I couldn't ask. 

Next time you do it for your fellow Heathens. "Don't ask what your country fellow Heathens can do for you, ...." It would have been a good deed, so no need to feel inhibited  ;).

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3408 on: January 07, 2008, 08:01:55 am »
Had is past tense, which probably implies that the pair is over, they had a baby, and is correct since pair can be singular or plural (in this case singular).

Has, by itself (not as a helper verb) is present tense, and would imply that they are still together. The same with have (which is plural)..."The pair have a child together" would imply they are still together.

So, probably, all in all, "The pair had a child together" is the best usage.

Funny, they can get their grammar correct but not their facts! LOL

L

(PS, thanks to Louise who assisted me on this grammar consultation)

Yes, very interesting. But to me the 'had a child together' means that 'the having of a child' was in the past. That's not true, they still have a child together, even if they are not together anymore... :(

Hmmm, of course, I'm not expert. Maybe it depends on what you want to stress, the pair being over, or the parenting not being over.

And in Dutch (just in case anyone is interested) 'the pair' is always followed by a singular verb. 'Het paar heeft'

You have no idea how much my English has improved since I'm a regular on boards where English is the main language (but somtimes it leads to funny mistakes on my side in pronouncing a word - ask Leslie or Louise. For example, I pronounced 'dough' like 'tough'  :laugh:).

I hear you Chrissi. How about spelling 'flower' when you're talking about 'flour'?  ::) :laugh:
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3409 on: January 07, 2008, 08:30:45 am »

Hmmm, of course, I'm not expert. Maybe it depends on what you want to stress, the pair being over, or the parenting not being over.

That's a very good point and I think you are right.

And in Dutch (just in case anyone is interested) 'the pair' is always followed by a singular verb. 'Het paar heeft'

Zo? Dat is prima!

I hear you Chrissi. How about spelling 'flower' when you're talking about 'flour'?  ::) :laugh:

That reminds me of the funny scene in Stranger Than Fiction when the Will Ferrell character brings the Maggie Gyllenhaal character a dozen 'flours' -- 12 assorted bags of flour (she was a baker). A cute visual pun on a dozen flowers (ie, a bouquet).

L