Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 941507 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:50 am »
Life may be just a dream, but how do we interpret it? What we dream at night can give us clues about what is important to us in waking life. Dreams help us to process our conscious thoughts and can give us new and important insights into the problems and challenges we face in the world. Although we may have strange and unusual dreams, there are a number of common dreams that many of us experience over and over again. Read the interpretations below for an explanation of symbols that seem to appear frequently in dreams.

http://astrocenter.astrology.msn.com/msn/ArticleAstrologyHomeV2.aspx?sd=20090414&GT1=21001
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2009, 12:33:32 pm »
3. You find yourself back in the classroom, or you've failed a test.

5. Being chased.

8. Falling, flying, or sinking.

These are definitely recurrent dreams for me - especially #3.  I've had so many versions of that one.  Usually I'm suddenly back in high school or college and I'm aware that I haven't been there in ages and I'm unprepared for the huge test that day!   Being chased is fairly common, but when I wake up I can't remember who or what was chasing me.  And I've had dreams where I'm falling or sinking, but I don't remember having a "flying" dream, although I know those are pretty common.  I had no idea dreams about teeth were common - I don't remember ever having one!  Interesting stuff.  Thanks!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2009, 01:54:59 pm »
This is all very interesting, Shasta! As most people know around here, I am a dream interpretation enthusiast. There are lots of interesting dream sites, and the Tarot holds more info as well. One book I use to help interpret my dreams is The Dream Game by Ann Faraday. And of course there is Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung. I am quoting from the link you gave us for more info:

1. Keep a dream journal near your bed to record your dreams.
2. Read through your journal once a week and underline repeating dream symbols, terms, people, and themes that arise.
3. Use the guide above to track your current emotional state and life issues, and notice the patterns and timing of their evolution.
4. Try to identify any dream symbols (cars, teeth, water) that appear in your waking life, noticing which appear with greater frequency and the nature of your interaction with these symbols. Is there any overlap between your waking and dreaming life?

There are also quite a few dream symbols in Brokeback Mountain. Can anyone name one of their favorites and what they think it means?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2009, 05:15:27 pm »
This is all very interesting, Shasta! As most people know around here, I am a dream interpretation enthusiast. There are lots of interesting dream sites, and the Tarot holds more info as well. One book I use to help interpret my dreams is The Dream Game by Ann Faraday. And of course there is Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung. I am quoting from the link you gave us for more info:

There are also quite a few dream symbols in Brokeback Mountain. Can anyone name one of their favorites and what they think it means?

Like Marie, one of my most common dreams was the falling one. I hardly ever dream anymore for some reason. When I was younger, my recurring dream was Indians circling my house. I had that one many times. I always woke up afraid before anything too scary happened. Maybe it was from watching too many westerns.  :P :-\

I know there are a lot of water symbols in the movie. Not sure about the meanings---I'd be interested to hear tho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2009, 06:16:37 pm »
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Fore me, 3 recurrent dream themes - all spelling bad news.  :P

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »
My most common dream is that I'm in a house, which is a new house I've just moved into or a dfferent house than in real life. I've learned to explore this new house and look at everything in it for clues to my real life challenges. These houses have ranged from mansions to trailers to little hovels made of dirt, but they are all very interesting and I always feel comfortable in them. One was a lot like the "Falling Water" house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The house that appears most often in my dream is a three-story structure with an almost empty first floor, a very cluttered and crowded second floor, and a third floor attic that is like a haven. One time I was on the second floor, trying to get to the top floor and found out that I could not. I had to go down to the first floor and get on an escalator that took me through the second floor and up. My husband and I argued about it because he insisted that I could get to the top from the second floor. So I said, "Hey, it's MY dream!" Another feature of this house is a separate pool house that has an indoor and an outdoor pool, with many tropical plants. One time I dreamed that I went into the pool house, and all the plants were dying. But I have not felt that way for a long time. In back of this house are some rooms that are rented out, like the places I stayed when I was in college.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2009, 06:50:12 pm »
Those sound like really fun dreams, Front-Ranger!

Did you ever see the little hobbit houses in Lord of the Rings? I love those!  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2009, 06:52:40 pm »
They are built into the sides of hills and all the doors are round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2009, 07:03:03 pm »
Thanks for the pictures from the shire, friend!! I haven't seen those for years!! Oddly enuff, my actual real life house has a couple of round windows and also a couple of half-round windows. I'll take some pics and post them here. My house also has a bank of clerestory windows in the master and guest bedrooms. These windows face south, and the moon can be seen out of them when it is full. At night, I lay bathed in moonlight which must affect my dreams. Another thing I love about my house is a shaft window in the master bathroom ceiling. When the moon is full at a certain time of night, it throws a light right into the bathtub and it seems like the bathtub is filled with an ethereal light.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2009, 07:07:20 pm »
Thanks for the pictures from the shire, friend!! I haven't seen those for years!! Oddly enuff, my actual real life house has a couple of round windows and also a couple of half-round windows. I'll take some pics and post them here. My house also has a bank of clerestory windows in the master and guest bedrooms. These windows face south, and the moon can be seen out of them when it is full. At night, I lay bathed in moonlight which must affect my dreams. Another thing I love about my house is a shaft window in the master bathroom ceiling. When the moon is full at a certain time of night, it throws a light right into the bathtub and it seems like the bathtub is filled with an ethereal light.

It sounds very unique and pretty. Like a getaway---but you get to be there all the time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~