Author Topic: Topic of the Week 1/07: Did Ennis know early on that he was in love with Jack?  (Read 15282 times)

Offline tiveronicax2

• Don't Say Much
Yes he knew it in his heart it was love at first sight Ennis, being a loner, found it dificult to make friends~
and so he kept to himself when he met Jack~Jack was the oposite of Ennis and was very outgoing
and he slowly drew Ennis Out~As the days went by on Brokeback, A remarkable thing happened, Ennis
began to come out of his shell and he began to realize for the first time in his life he was happy!
Being that it was Ennis's first llove experience- he never gave it a name.
So they were alone and Brokeback became their Garden of Eden~
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:26:41 am by tiveronicax2 »

moremojo

Being that it was Ennis's first llove experience- he never gave it a name.
This is a beautiful way to express this.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
I dont think Ennis KNEW he was in love with Jack......but I do think he loved him.....

He loved the comfort he felt with Jack, he loved being with him there on that mountain, he hated it, when it when he knew it was over..he knew that his life had changed.....

But he probably didnt realize he was in love with Jack, until he saw him again, after those four years....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
He didn't know that he was in love, but he knew that something was going on, something that he had never felt before. He felt great elation, oftentimes when he had just left Jack, felt better than he ever had, felt "he could paw the white out of the moon." And when he saw it was all going to go away suddenly on that day in mid-August, it hit him like a ton of bricks. That's when he knew, I think, and that's why we see him spitting. It's Ang Lee's way of showing what was written in the story as thoughts.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

I feel that Ennis's acknowledgement of even his attraction for Jack would have remained sublimated if Jack had never boldly drawn his friend's hand onto his hopeful member. Ironically, if Jack hadn't unambiguously introduced the sexual element into the relationship, the men probably would have seen more of each other over the years (no need to hide out in the middle of nowhere, the local bar would have done just fine to shoot the breeze for old times' sake). But that one spark of passion would have remained unfulfilled.

Ennis probably would still have recognized the extent of his feelings once Jack had died (sexuality and love all together). But again, it would have been too late.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
I feel that Ennis's acknowledgement of even his attraction for Jack would have remained sublimated if Jack had never boldly drawn his friend's hand onto his hopeful member. Ironically, if Jack hadn't unambiguously introduced the sexual element into the relationship, the men probably would have seen more of each other over the years (no need to hide out in the middle of nowhere, the local bar would have done just fine to shoot the breeze for old times' sake). But that one spark of passion would have remained unfulfilled.

Ironic, isn't it? I think the same thing every time Ennis watches out for the white truck so 'unnecessarily' alarmed in the post-divorce scene. If he and Jack hadn't been lovers, he wouldn't have given the truck any thought, probably even would not have registered it at all.  :(

Ennis probably would still have recognized the extent of his feelings once Jack had died (sexuality and love all together). But again, it would have been too late.

I'm note sure about this. My gut feeling says no to your statement, but I will think a bit more about it....

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
On a second thought....

Your (Scott's) statement and my reply seem to imply that nothing sexual would have happened between Ennis and Jack if it weren't for Jack's move that drunken night.
But I don't think that's the case. I think if it hadn't been *that* night, it would have happened at another time anyway.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
 I think Ennis's view of the world involved how he was expected to be useful to others.  His socialization was extreme and it was made clear to him that his needs and desires were of no importance.  He saw himself as a minor part of  a larger picture and he had obligations to his family, Aguirre, Alma, his kids, the courts, his ranch bosses, Cassie, and all the people on the sidewalk in town.  His wishes and desires were unimportant.

His life was based on survival and not on comfort, happiness or fulfillment.   His meals, like his other consumptions, were spartan - but he spent little time bitching or expecting more.

Love was just another four letter word to him.
In the novella Annie Proulx uses the word 'love' for the love Jack had for a little dog, the love that Ennis had for his daughters, and as a closing to Alma's suspicious note to Ennis.

The closest to love expressed to Ennis in his early life - that we see - was his mom telling her little cowboy that it's time to hit the hay.   Time to hit the hay and be ready to 'work' again tomorrow.

So when Jack Twist came along and connected with Ennis, it sparked him into being a more complete human, but no more aware of love as a thing that he deserved on a daily basis.   Yes Ennis enjoyed the social and sexual activity with Jack, but it was like whiskey, round steak or elk meat.  Enjoy it while you have it, but don't expect to have it all the time.  There was comfort in the closeness to Jack, but his personal comfort did not pay the bills, satisfy the boss or the wife or please the people on the sidewalk.  Being with Jack was a guilty pleasure for Ennis.

On that fateful day when Ennis got the news:
Ennis didn't know about the accident for months until his postcard to Jack saying that November still looked like the first chance came back stamped DECEASED.
Suddenly he knew that his guilty pleasure wasn't there anymore.  And it never would be again.  Even after that, does Ennis feel pangs of love for Jack, or just the hunger for a bit of steak once in a while?  He knows there's a hole in his life.   He knows Jack valued even his old shirt.  He knows that you should marry the person you love, not the person appointed for you by circumstances or families.

Even then does he know that the feeling he has for a MAN called Jack is a kind of love?   Can he experience love as a fine unfiltered thing between two sharing humans?  I think more than the vocabulary is missing.  I think Ennis has the phantom pains you have when an arm is missing, but you don't have to 'love' your arm to miss it and to know that you need it to do the day-to-day things that make life worthwhile.

Ennis loved Jack from Day One.
  But what is love if you deny it all your life?
  But what is love if you feel that you don't deserve it?

moremojo

Wonderful analysis, Toast.
But what is love if you feel that you don't deserve it?
This is absolutely key to understanding Ennis's situation. He didn't think he deserved anything more than what life had thrown him, hard knocks and all. Ennis arguably didn't love himself, and if one has no self-regard, one has more difficulty in appreciating and honoring the soul of another.

Yet..."Jack, I swear..."--a faltering attempt, surely, at naming that enthralling thing that grabbed hold of two nineteen-year-old boys on a remote Wyoming mountain top once upon a faraway summer.

moremojo

But I don't think that's the case. I think if it hadn't been *that* night, it would have happened at another time anyway.
I certainly think it could have. But I do believe it would have taken Jack to initiate it.