Author Topic: Ennis, Cassie and the Twists (revised title)  (Read 27301 times)

TJ

Re: What Ennis says about Cassie. (from TOB)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:37 pm »
Here's what Annie Proulx wrote in narrative form about the gal who was named "Cassie" in the movie's story line.

Ennis said he'd been putting the blocks to a woman who worked part-time at the Wolf Ears bar in Signal where he was working now for Stoutamire's cow and calf outfit, but it wasn't going anywhere and she had some problems he didn't want.

In the movie, the woman lives in Riverton.

Because of what Ennis said, Jack had to top it.

Jack said he'd had a thing going with the wife of a rancher down the road in Childress and for the last few months he'd slank around expecting to get shot by Lureen or the husband, one. Ennis laughed a little and said he probably deserved it.

To me, I think Ennis just made up the story about the woman as if to say, "Jack, I'm still not no queer." And, Jack's response was the same as "Ennis, me neither, I haven't changed at all."

In the part of the book where they make those statements, the narrative mentions the campfire with "the sparks flying up with their truths and lies."

I have met closeted homosexual guys like Ennis and Jack who were in denial of their sexual orientation and they made up lies about being in relationships with women they knew who were just friends or they lied about going with women who never existed in the first place.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 12:11:09 am »
I wonder what Ennis is thinking when Cassie says "I don't get you..."?  He looks at her in a thoughtful way.  If he would allow himself to at that moment, would he even be capable of answering that question with "well, I'm already in love with a man"... or "I'm gay"?  Has he come that far by the time of this conversation?   I think most of the film while Jack is alive is like watching Ennis inch slowly towards the conscious conclusion that he's gay and should do something to "fix" his relationship with Jack.  I think there's not doubt he's gay all along (but coming out to himself in a clear way in his head obviously is a long process for him).  I wonder... in terms of the chronology of things... Are we supposed to think that Jack is already dead (un-beknownst to Ennis) by the time the pie scene comes?

Jack's death is like a sledge-hammer epiphany about a lot of this to Ennis.  The fact that he actually takes it upon himself to do something awkward and bold for Jack following his death is an enormous sign I think.  I mean not only does he pick up a phone and talk to Lureen, but he actually gets in his truck and drives all that way to visit Jack's parents (clearly an awkward situation for him in some ways).  Throughout their 20 year love affair Jack couldn't drag Ennis up there.  And, yet Ennis does this on his own (he's clearly anxious and wanting to do this) following the death.  Those actions show how much Ennis feels responsible for Jack and how much he really does think of himself as Jack's partner.

Lots of excellent observations and questions, Amanda.

IMO, if Ennis suddenly turned candid over pie -- if the pie were spiked with truth serum! -- he COULD have told Cassie that he was in love with a man. It seems to me he has known this since the summer on Brokeback. (And it's the reason he's so depressed over the pie; he knows he will always be in love with Jack but doesn't know what to do about it.) But gay? I believe he is starting to face up to it by then, or at least has acknowledged it at some deeper level. But he might not quite be there at a conscious level until after Jack's death.

And you're right, making the trip to see Jack's parents is not only uncharacteristically bold and outgoing for Ennis -- it's a risk he never would have taken before -- it's also significantly an action a partner would take. His "I can't tell you how bad I feel" has always struck me as soooo poignant -- he literally CAN'T tell them. But by the time he leaves with the shirts, I think he knows that Mrs. Twist understands.

Also, there's something about Ennis' manner at the kitchen table that I can't quite articulate that tells me he has acknowledged that he and Jack were a couple. Maybe it's his remaining so steadfastly calm and polite despite Mr. Twist's rudeness? Anyway, his acknowledgement of their couple status is momentarily shaken by Mr. Twist's revelation about the new guy. But the shirts, devastating as they are, are also a precious reassurance for Ennis. In that respect, they are much more valuable than the ashes would have been. Imagine if Ennis had been given the ashes, but had to leave with the knowledge of Randall hanging over him!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 07:07:16 am »
I agree with what Amanda and Katherine said. I would go even further and say that Ennis began to come to terms with his relationship with Jack after the lake scen. Latest. There must have been a seed of cognition in Ennis before the lake scene: Ennis was the one who said that he couldn't stand this anymore. And the seed was raised by the confrontaion. Ennis was scared and shaken to the core by it.

What makes the end of the movie so tragic for me is that Ennis was almost there, he had almost traveled all the way around the coffeepot to find the handle, the answer. And he was almost ready to agree to a life with Jack. That's why he broke off with Cassie
Yes, you're so right. And for me, the lake scene was a big catalyst for Ennis to come forward.

Also, there's something about Ennis' manner at the kitchen table that I can't quite articulate that tells me he has acknowledged that he and Jack were a couple.
I think at this point Ennis had finally made the whole way (round the coffeepot). He knew it. And all his guards were down at this moment. I guess if Mr. Twist had directly accused him of being his son's lover or something along this tenor, Ennis would not even have denied it. Not at this very moment.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 07:47:07 am »
The Lake scene...  Such a turning point for both guys.

I honestly believe that both guys were unsatisfied with the situation at this point.   While they still seem to cherish the time together, they alway seem to be sitting quietly deep in thought.  Even when you see them riding horses on the last two times together they are not laughing and carrying on.

I think Jack had an attitude all that week.   He had a thing going with Randall for 5 years now.   Ennis wouldn't commit and Jack couldn't quit Ennis.   He was frustrated.   Thats why he kept baiting Ennis with questions.  He was looking for some hope.

Meanwhile, Ennis was also frustrated.  He was no longer free to drop everything at work and be with Jack as much as HE wanted either.     Ennis looks very HURT to me when Jack mentions the ranchers wife.   

So when the manure hits the fan at departure time, this is when Jack gets his excuse to blow up and try to find a reason to quit Ennis finally.   Also,  This is the BIG breakthru that Ennis needed to see that he "Can't stand it anymore".

Wow.  That is powerful stuff .

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:14:20 am »
Your post, David, made me think: do you suppose Jack's boasting about the fling with the wife hurt Ennis because he was worried that Jack wasn't all-consumed by "This thing" they had together, like Ennis was? That he was afraid of abandonment by Jack if Jack could take or leave his gayness? I think you're on to something here.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 10:28:00 am »
David - I agree that Jack lost a lot of hope after the 'divorce' scene and we don't ever see either of them smiling & relaxed again w/ each other, but Jack continued to try and move Ennis forward throughout the film:

"You going to do this again next summer?"

"What are we goina do now?" (Motel scene)

"It could be like this, just like this always"

"You & Alma, that's a life?"

"Got your message about the divorce...I thought it meant ..."

"Maybe you should move somewhere else, Texas maybe..."

"Live your f...ing miserable life, I was just thinking out loud!"

"You ain't found someone else..."

"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

"I did once."  (Resignation, but what if Ennis had responded differently)

And, even when Ennis cried, "Get the f... off me!"  Jack held on tight & again said, "It's alright, s'alright"

I agree that Ennis was almost there after the lake scene.  I also think the November meeting would  have been 'IT' - one way or another. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:53:42 am by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 11:55:42 am »
When Ennis finishes his comment "but I don't know" about Cassie, he is trying to tell Jack that he is not serious about her.

So when Jack admits to having an ongoing affair, that hurts Ennis.   He laughs, but then look at his face after.  It changes and looks like he is trying to hide his hurt feelings.     At least Jacks next statement was more from the heart.  But I think Ennis was already dreading telling Jack the bad news, when instead he should have said something positive about his feelings towards Jack.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 08:28:50 pm »
David - I agree that Jack lost a lot of hope after the 'divorce' scene and we don't ever see either of them smiling & relaxed again w/ each other, but Jack continued to try and move Ennis forward throughout the film:

"You going to do this again next summer?"

"What are we goina do now?" (Motel scene)

"It could be like this, just like this always"

"You & Alma, that's a life?"

"Got your message about the divorce...I thought it meant ..."

"Maybe you should move somewhere else, Texas maybe..."

"Live your f...ing miserable life, I was just thinking out loud!"

"You ain't found someone else..."

"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

"I did once."  (Resignation, but what if Ennis had responded differently)

And, even when Ennis cried, "Get the f... off me!"  Jack held on tight & again said, "It's alright, s'alright"

I agree that Ennis was almost there after the lake scene.  I also think the November meeting would  have been 'IT' - one way or another. 

This is all really interesting.  I also agree that if they had met up in November, big decisions would have been made.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 08:35:04 pm »
This is all really interesting.  I also agree that if they had met up in November, big decisions would have been made.

That is the $64,000 question.   IF they met up in November.

I sure know that Ennis was anxious to see Jack and perhaps make some consessions.    But I keep watching the DVD and that shot of Jack watching Ennis drive away.   Plus the comment his dad made about Jack and Randall in the spring.    I almost.....repeat almost wonder if the lakeside fight was the last straw in Jacks mind?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 09:00:21 pm »
That is the $64,000 question.   IF they met up in November.

I sure know that Ennis was anxious to see Jack and perhaps make some consessions.    But I keep watching the DVD and that shot of Jack watching Ennis drive away.   Plus the comment his dad made about Jack and Randall in the spring.    I almost.....repeat almost wonder if the lakeside fight was the last straw in Jacks mind?

A poster on TOB called clancypants, who often has really interesting posts, wrote a long essay arguing that Jack DID break up with Ennis -- as a favor to Ennis! To let him off the hook and ease his torment, after he realized in the last argument that Enni was never going to change. Clancypants marshalled all kinds of evidence and made a strong case. But it was just WAY too depressing, and I didn't agree with all the reasoning, so I opted to reject it.