Author Topic: TOTW 07/07: Was Mr. Twist homophobic?  (Read 39206 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 07/07: Was Mr. Twist homophobic?
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2008, 12:52:53 pm »
Thansk whysoserious!!

Wow, you reveal a lot !! And greatly too !!

Since I never saw before,
may I ask you:

are your female, male, other ??

Hi Artiste! I'm female, but actually you have seen me before. Check out the left side of my post, under the avatar! Like many of us here, I'm observing Heath's birthday with a special Heath-related name. You might want to join in the fun.  :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2008, 08:10:34 pm »
Merci !

Hugs!

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 01:13:27 am »
Interesting thought that Mr. Twist was disappointed in Jack because he could never commit to taking over the ranch.  I can see that he was disappointed but I still don't think he would have been fond of Jack being gay even if he took over the ranch and made a huge profit out of it. I still think he wouldn't have approved of Jack being gay. I think his homophobia is a product of his generation.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2008, 11:57:42 am »
Thanks MS Mercury!

It's interesting what you say! That could very well be as you say!

Old man Twist, maybe would not have liked Jack as a gay man with Ennis living with him !! However, he seems to accept that Jack was (wanted) to live with Ennis, right??

Isn't that puzzling ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 04:27:25 pm »
So Old Man Twist must have known that Jack was gay ??

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2008, 04:54:46 pm »

Yes, I think in his comments to Ennis, OMT is trying very hard to let Ennis know that Jack's sexuality was well-understood.  He seems to even be trying to let Ennis know that he (OMT) knows more about certain aspects of Jack's sexuality than Ennis does.  OMT is able to provide Ennis with the new information about the "other fellow"... for example.

I think we're meant to perceive Ennis as being surprised at the fact that Jack mentioned him at home to his mother and OMT... seemingly for many years over the course of their relationship.  Ennis learns that their relationship really wasn't as secret as he throught.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2008, 05:05:50 pm »
Merci atz !

You say:

Yes, I think in his comments to Ennis, OMT is trying very hard to let Ennis know that Jack's sexuality was well-understood.  He seems to even be trying to let Ennis know that he (OMT) knows more about certain aspects of Jack's sexuality than Ennis does.  OMT is able to provide Ennis with the new information about the "other fellow"... for example.

Atz, may I say that you say that beautifully !

And, so is OMT calling Ennis a fool ?

May I ask,

hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 05:44:10 pm »
I am inclined to agree with you, sadly, Artiste after thinking about it. I think OMT was condemning Ennis as a fool.

He was a sad, bitter old man who had lost his farm, his spirit, and, at last, his only son. I think he was consumed with grief and one of the earliest stages of grief is anger, leading on to despair and bitterness.

In fact, now that I think about it, the way OMT acted was  similar to the way I saw a few people react after the death of Heath Ledger. It can bring out the worst in people. I've seen people lash out in a vindictive manner, even hatefully. Grief can change people radically. Hopefully it is temporary.

But through it all, I don't think OMT was homophobic because that would mean that he'd be repulsed by his own son. And I don't think that was the case.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 08:09:14 pm »
I am inclined to agree with you, sadly, Artiste after thinking about it. I think OMT was condemning Ennis as a fool.

He was a sad, bitter old man who had lost his farm, his spirit, and, at last, his only son. I think he was consumed with grief and one of the earliest stages of grief is anger, leading on to despair and bitterness.

In fact, now that I think about it, the way OMT acted was  similar to the way I saw a few people react after the death of Heath Ledger. It can bring out the worst in people. I've seen people lash out in a vindictive manner, even hatefully. Grief can change people radically. Hopefully it is temporary.

But through it all, I don't think OMT was homophobic because that would mean that he'd be repulsed by his own son. And I don't think that was the case.

I am very glad to read what you said. I have always felt that OMT was poignant and sad, not angry. Defensive, not attacking. I noticed that others didn't feel this way, and some seemed to need to see OMT as a terrible homophobic father who victimized and made fun of his son. I took a different view that OMT was deeply disappointed in his son, and regretted never being able to really be close to him.

Also, I saw a subtext in OMT's kitchen dialog with Ennis. I imagined OMT really saying to Ennis: "You loved my son, why didn't you protect him? I loved my son, why couldn't I protect him?" and in the end, all OMT could do is protect Jack's ashes from someone that he now wanted to see as an outsider.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2008, 11:40:08 pm »
I imagined OMT really saying to Ennis: "You loved my son, why didn't you protect him? I loved my son, why couldn't I protect him?" and in the end, all OMT could do is protect Jack's ashes from someone that he now wanted to see as an outsider.

Yes, I agree with you OFT.  :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"