Author Topic: TOTW 16/07: Did Alma Jr. know Ennis was gay?  (Read 73939 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: TOTW 16/07: Did Alma Jr. know Ennis was gay?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 10:47:36 am »
I imagine Alma Jr. would have been growing up in the 70s and 80s as far as when she would have first started getting an idea of the world. I can't really imagine her having much of a concept of the word gay or how her father would have fit into it especially being that she was from Riverton, Wyoming. And it is questionable whether or not she had travelled anywhere.

If you were reading the Bird, that must have been Hotlanta in the 1970s.   :D

She probably hadn't done any travelling other than Wyoming communities in the same region, such as Caspar. But I find it difficult to impossible to believe that a 19-year-old in the early 1980s would never have watched television and never heard the word "gay" used in a sexual orientation context on TV at least.  Riverton might not be a metropolis, but it isn't an Amish community or a monastary.  From your account, it sounds like you at least knew what the word 'gay' meant by the 1970s and I expect Alma Jr did too, even if she didn't know many details.

As the Mencken character in Inherit the Wind put it, "the virginal small-towner has been had by Marconi [radio, in the 1920s; mass media in general ] and Montgomery Ward [the spread of the consumer culture]."  And this was a comment from a playwright 50 years ago. 

I'm not suggesting that was very sophisticated or that she understood much about her dad's life but the days when one could assume that a small town girl was all that unaware of changes in the larger culture were long over by the early 1980s.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 11:53:36 am »
Alma jr. was intelligent and must have known that her father was bi or gay?

She did think about family life!! That is what makes me think that she knew that Ennis, her father was a bi or gay man!!

You think so too, maybe?

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 10:59:03 pm »
I think we're giving Junior a bit too much credit.  I didn't see anything particularly "intelligent" about her.

She acts like a typical teenager from a small town.

She wants to leave her mother/stepfather's home because - gasp! - they're too strict!

She thinks marrying a roughneck at the age of 19 is a good idea with a good future.

She has a poverty-stricken father ("Daddy you need to buy some more furniture").  And seeing how meanly he is living is suddenly happy that he's going to quit his sole means of income job just for her!

Ouch!  How self-absorbed is that?

No, Junior isn't the sharpest pencil in the box.

Yes, I imagine there were shows from Hollywood on TV about gays by the late 70s early 80's, but I'm sure Alma and her husband did not allow them to be aired in their home.  And Junior most certainly lived at home.

And honestly, does Ennis act like any of the gay stereotypes that might have been seen on TV way back when?

As for magazines and books and newspapers...let's just say Junior doesn't look like the reading type.  8)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 02:00:59 am »
Quote from: MargeInnavera
...I find it difficult to impossible to believe that a 19-year-old in the early 1980s would never have watched television and never heard the word "gay" used in a sexual orientation context on TV at least.

I definitely agree there, Marge.  But there's a huge difference between hearing gayness mentioned on the TV or by giggly highschoolers, and making the leap that your big, macho, stoic father has been faking straight since before you were born, you know?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 10:37:36 am »
It is obvious that Alma Jr. knew that her father was a bi or gay man!

She did see her father gotten hug by Jack, strongly, and heard them talk.... surely!

She has an eye, too, it seems to me? To you?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 10:44:44 am »
I think we're giving Junior a bit too much credit.  I didn't see anything particularly "intelligent" about her.

She acts like a typical teenager from a small town.

She wants to leave her mother/stepfather's home because - gasp! - they're too strict!

She thinks marrying a roughneck at the age of 19 is a good idea with a good future.

She has a poverty-stricken father ("Daddy you need to buy some more furniture").  And seeing how meanly he is living is suddenly happy that he's going to quit his sole means of income job just for her!

Ouch!  How self-absorbed is that?

No, Junior isn't the sharpest pencil in the box.

Yes, I imagine there were shows from Hollywood on TV about gays by the late 70s early 80's, but I'm sure Alma and her husband did not allow them to be aired in their home.  And Junior most certainly lived at home.

And honestly, does Ennis act like any of the gay stereotypes that might have been seen on TV way back when?

As for magazines and books and newspapers...let's just say Junior doesn't look like the reading type.  8)

What a condescending characterization!

I don't think that there is evidence one way or the other as to Alma's intellectual abilities or her chioice of reading materials  . Just because someone is not quoting
Proust or making up cute Haiku verse on screen, that doesn't make them a dummy. She was a reticent young woman who would soon be finding her own way in life. She wanted her Daddy, whom she loved, to be at her wedding. She related to him in a way that convinced him to quit his job cowboying in the Tetons and attend her wedding. I'd say she was a very skillful young lady, even Jack couldn't always get Ennis to quit his job in order to see him!

Give Alma, Jr a break!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 10:46:02 am »
I definitely agree there, Marge.  But there's a huge difference between hearing gayness mentioned on the TV or by giggly highschoolers, and making the leap that your big, macho, stoic father has been faking straight since before you were born, you know?

I agree,  there isn't a chance in helll that she woul suspect her father to be gay.  Just because he had a close friendship with one other man is not enough of a clue.  A lot of straight men prefer the company of other men.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 11:29:03 am »
Even if straight men like other men as friends, Alam Jr. saw that her father was bi or gay!

The clues seem to be there.

She must have thought that it was strange or OK for her dad to be with Jack as good friends! So, she had to have a thought about her father liking ONLY one man! She is not anti-gay like her mother!

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 01:23:34 pm »
I think with both Alma Jr. and Ennis we're supposed to perceive something along the lines of the old saying "still waters run deep."  My sense, is that the audience is meant to see both of them as very observant and smart in an introspective way (while neither is probably particularly well-educated in a formal/ official way).  I think we're also meant to see them as having some unspoken forms of communication between themselves (they way they're shown talking in Ennis's truck, etc.).  And, again, I think how an audience member views their modes of personal communication greatly impacts how the last scene of the movie is interpreted.

I do agree with the part of delalluvia's post suggesting that Junior's happiness at hearing that Ennis will quit his job in order to attend her wedding is a bit self-absorbed.  It honestly really is a lot to ask of a person who is impoverished.  It's not too much to hope/ expect that her own father would be at her wedding, of course.  But, the point here is that she's happy he's quiting a job to do this (that aspect of the situation seems a bit extreme).  Still, maybe she's been raised to expect Ennis to quit jobs at the drop of a hat (since he clearly did this a lot in preparation for meetings with Jack).

Her glee at her own new-found love and upcoming, sanctioned heterosexual union also comes across as hard to take (for me personally as a viewer) knowing what Ennis has had to struggle with in his relationship with Jack.  Of course, Junior, probably doesn't understand the full context of all of this... so I don't hold it against her.  But, I always think the moment when Ennis looks to the side and pauses a bit during the conversation and almost seems to tear up, probably has a lot to do with him contrasting his own situation with Jack to the circumstances now surrounding his 19 year old daughter at the beginning of her own relationship.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 01:39:48 pm »
Do we really know that Ennis is "quitting" his job to go to the wedding?

I mean, sure, he could be, and perhaps we are supposed to assume that he is. We know that he's told Jack that when he was younger he quit jobs to go away with Jack, but maybe he quit those jobs not because he wanted to quit but because the ranch owner or foreman wouldn't let him take time off and then come back to work.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about the ranching industry today or in 1984, but it still strikes me as pretty heartless to tell somebody he can't take time off to attend his own daughter's wedding.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.