Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 155037 times)

injest

Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2007, 11:51:06 pm »
Jesus seems to be getting more heat from the authorities. He secreatly retreats to Lebanon, but even there fame follows him.

He heals a Greek woman's daughter of an "unclean spirit." When she asks, he first resists, saying that food meant for "the children" (the Jews) should not be given to "the dogs" (the Gentiles).

Now honestly this sounds pretty trite to me - not the mindset of the only son of the universal omnipotent all-loving and only god.

The woman says Yes, but even the dogs get to eat the crumbs the children drop. So he tells her that her daughter (who is not present) is healed.

seems petty. and out of character.

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2007, 11:55:02 pm »
Jesus returns to Decapolis, the eastern (Gentile) side of the Sea of Galilee, and heals a man who is deaf and mute.

Again he charges the witnesses to tell no one, but word of this event gets out as well.

It seems odd that he wants to keep everything quiet.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2007, 11:58:04 pm »
Jesus returns to Decapolis, the eastern (Gentile) side of the Sea of Galilee, and heals a man who is deaf and mute.

Again he charges the witnesses to tell no one, but word of this event gets out as well.

It seems odd that he wants to keep everything quiet.

how long is this from when he gets crucified? maybe he knew time was running short?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2007, 12:02:09 am »
At the time that the gospel of Mark was being verbally handed down and eventually written, there was a conflict between Jewish Christians based around Jesus's family and the growing gentile church that was coming to be based in Rome.

The children and the dogs might be a veiled reference to the issues of that later time. Or maybe that's what Jesus actually said, I don't know...     ???
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2007, 12:07:21 am »
At the time that the gospel of Mark was being verbally handed down and eventually written, there was a conflict between Jewish Christians based around Jesus's family and the growing gentile church that was coming to be based in Rome.

The children and the dogs might be a veiled reference to the issues of that later time. Or maybe that's what Jesus actually said, I don't know...     ???

Tell you what I think the point of that story is. Don't forget that Jesus is fully man as well as fully God. I think the point of this story is that this is where Jesus himself learns that he is sent not just to the lost sheep of the House of Israel, but that his mission has a broader implication than just that. And I think it's really interesting that he learns this from a woman. ...

Just my two cents.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2007, 12:55:06 am »
this is where Jesus himself learns ... that his mission has a broader implication
:)   I like that! Thanks Jeff ...

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2007, 05:56:14 pm »
So on to Mark 8. Here is the textM and here's the Wikipedia writeup.

The feeding of the crowd is repeated, this time starting with 7 loaves and a few fish, and ending with 7 baskets of bread.

He gives sight to a Gentile man who had been blind. He sees them like trees, walking around. Jesus lays hands on hiw eyes again and his sight is restored.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2007, 06:03:21 pm »
Alone with the disciples, Jesus asks who people think he is. The disciples tell him people think he is John the Baptist raised from the dead (as Herod thought), or Elijah.

The reference to Elijah is important because Malachi, the closing book of the Jewish scriptures, ends with a promise from God that he will send Elijah.

Elijah's purpose will be to "restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers," before "the day will come, burning like a furnace; and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff; and the day that is coming will set them ablaze"

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2007, 06:11:44 pm »
Jesus asks "But who do you say that I am?" and Peter says "You are the Christ."

"Christ" is the Greek version of the Hebrew word "Messiah" or anointed one.

Mark 8:31-32: He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.  And He was stating the matter plainly.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2007, 06:15:17 pm »
The disciples have been debating who among them will be rewarded with the greatest positions in the new kingdom, but Jesus reveals some deep ironies.

34 If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

35 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.

36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?

Don