Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 155032 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 09:40:46 pm »
Hi WDJ -- I'll talk.  Wasn't John the Baptizer Jesus's cousin?  ;D

I think you have to go to Luke to get that answer. The King James Version calls Elizabeth, John's mother, a "cousin" of Mary. Newer translations in my library just say "kinswoman" or even just "relative."

I guess they were probably some sort of cousins, but not first cousins.

Coffee and doughnuts: the "other" Protestant Sacrament!  :D

I heard a joke once. You know you're Lutheran if you forget to bring the wine for Communion but not the coffee for Social Hour!  :laugh: (I can tell that joke 'cause I was raised Lutheran.  :) )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 10:45:22 pm »
who wrote this gospel?
Yeah it has traditionally been ascribed to Mark, who was a disciple of Peter.

The idea is that Peter told Mark (and others) all these things and Mark wrote them all down and tried to put them in order.

But it's not certain that Mark actually wrote the text; for one thing there are apparently some errors in the geography that Mark, as a resident of the area, would not have made.

I could imagine there may have been an oral tradition handed down for a while before it actually got written down. Mark is said to be the first of the gospels to actually be put in writing, and may have been a source for Matthew and Luke.

Mark ->
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 11:00:48 pm »
Remember too that in the Catholic tradition, Peter was the first Pope.

It's interesting that Peter was married!  ;)   We see in Mark 1 that one of the miraculous healings that Jesus performed was for Simon's mother-in-law - that Simon later became St. Peter.

Goodness - Wikipedia has entire entries on each chapter of Mark ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_1

The alleged ruins of St. Peter's home in Capernaum...

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 11:05:39 pm »
Yeah it has traditionally been ascribed to Mark, who was a disciple of Peter.

The idea is that Peter told Mark (and others) all these things and Mark wrote them all down and tried to put them in order.

But it's not certain that Mark actually wrote the text; for one thing there are apparently some errors in the geography that Mark, as a resident of the area, would not have made.

I could imagine there may have been an oral tradition handed down for a while before it actually got written down. Mark is said to be the first of the gospels to actually be put in writing, and may have been a source for Matthew and Luke.

Mark ->

I would imagine that there were a LOT of oral stories...most people back in that time didn't read or write. Most storytelling was done by people that memorized from other people. The Bible wasn't put together til a couple of centurys after all these people died. I can overlook minor details..I have never been one of those ultra 'literalists'

Offline Wayne

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 02:04:29 pm »
I'm impressed with how much this first chapter focuses on healing. First there are 2 specific occasions including one psychological and one physical condition:

1:23-26 he casts out an unclean spirit from the man in the synagogue
1:30-31 Simon's wife's mother has a fever and is healed

Then two general descriptions:
1:34 he healed many that were sick with divers diseases, and cast out many demons;
1:39 And he went into their synagogues throughout all Galilee, preaching and casting out demons.

And then a striking physical healing:
1:40-42 And straightway the leprosy departed from him, and he was made clean

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 02:06:14 pm »
So what I am getting is that Isaiah had prophecied that someone living in the wilderness would come before the lord/messiah and John apparently fit the bill. He preached that he was the one who would come before but not until Jesus emerged from the water when he baptised him did it become apparent who he was.

Wonder what sins Jesus confessed to?

In 1:17 it has my favoirte line in the whole Bible: "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men" which he said to two brothers in Gallilee, Simon and Andrew.

So then he went down to Capernum and in the synagogue drew out the unclean spirit from that man, Was that the first miricle he did?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 02:09:36 pm »
I wonder about these deamons. I immediatly think of some sort of supernatural possession, but maybe they could have been something as simple as someone over taken with grief, who needed to hear the right words to bring them comfort?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 02:12:09 pm »
1:14 ... Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, 1:15and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel

I like to think he was saying the kingdom of God is here now. Don't just sit around waiting for God to come down and fix everything. Use your common sense now and do what is right to make things the way they should be.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 02:15:49 pm »
1:14 ... Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, 1:15and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel

I like to think he was saying the kingdom of God is here now. Don't just sit around waiting for God to come down and fix everything. Use your common sense now and do what is right to make things the way they should be.

Well you know that makes more sense than saying "its coming! its coming!" forever and it never getting here. The bible is a good example of theying to communicate ideas, across time.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 02:20:10 pm »
supernatural possession, but maybe they could have been something as simple as someone over taken with grief, who needed to hear the right words to bring them comfort?
right, yeah ... I can't really picture that this "demon possession" that seems to have been so common at the time is something we would have no knowledge of whatsoever any more.

I guess, unless Jesus cast demons out so utterly from the world that it just doesn't happen any more?    :-\   But that's not really my impression.

I suspect sometimes they were referring to what we would now call mental illnesses, and other cases as you say could be grief, depression ... maybe epilepsy?

The "unclean spirit" of the man in the synagogue - I wonder if that was Tourette's syndrome?     :-\

(hope you had fun at the parade!    ;)  )

Don