Author Topic: TOTW 19/07: Why couldn't Jack learn to just be happy with things as they were af  (Read 30858 times)

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Sorry, I meant to add, I don't think Ennis could learn to be happy with things as they were either.  Maybe he was unhappy because he couldn't be with Jack ("if you can't fix it") or wished he didn't want to be with Jack ("why can't you just let me be"). Things came to a head and he asked, "Why don't you [quit me]?"

Just a quick thought!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Jeff, I think that you are correct! I hadn't considered that Ennis was entirely aware of Jack's plans, but now I think he knew what was going to happen.

AP writes, "...with the help of the clear slick and a little spit, he entered him, nothing he'd done before but no instruction manual needed."

The "clear slick" part of that qoute tells me that Ennis may have been erect for a while. Maybe Ennis was playing that old game my frat brothers used to play, he was pretending to not be interested, just laying there waiting. "oh last night, I was asleep, sure was a lot of noise in the halls!" yep, I've heard that one before.

Good thought! (Wrangler slaps self up side the head again.  ;D )

Can you believe I'd forgotten about "the clear slick" part? But if Ennis was already "leaky," that would just about require that he was already erect, wouldin't it?

Not sure I'm convinced that Ennis knew what was, er, coming. I'll have to think about that some more. The scenario in my own mind at this point is that neither was actually planning it or even expecting it that night, but once they got snuggled up together, they both got hard. Jack could feel Ennis against him, then reached around, took Ennis's hand, and placed it on his own erection. That action gave Ennis the "go ahead."

I wonder, however, if this scenario quite works in the film? Maybe Heath's drunkenly mumbled, "What're you doin'?" suggests that "Film Ennis" wasn't quite so ready? Except that "it happens" pretty quick in the movie, too. ...  ???

P.S. Wrangler, it did seem instantaneous and I thank you for explaining why!  Sandy slaps forehead!

Well, I just offer that as a possible explanation, but, you're welcome!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS

Good thought! (Wrangler slaps self up side the head again.  ;D )

I wonder, however, if this scenario quite works in the film?

Maybe Heath's drunkenly mumbled, "What're you doin'?" suggests that "Film Ennis" wasn't quite so ready? Except that "it happens" pretty quick in the movie, too. ...  ???

Or it could be just more closeted "deniability". To put other words in Ennis's mouth, -  Jack I don't know what your doing, but I'll go along with it as long as you know that I'm not queer and I'm not making the first moves - .

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
I think there's a difference between TS1 in the movie and in the story. In the story, it reads:
"..and in a little while, they deepened their intimacy considerably."
I read this that there has been going on something before Jack took Ennis's hand and that they were both awake. However far that something went, both were aware of the direction it was going.

In the movie though, there's no such thing. They're only huddled close together. And we see Ennis sleeping. When Jack takes his hand, Ennis turns with the pull still sleeping and it takes him a moment before he's awake enough to realize where his hand is.
Of course, this doesn't mean Ennis wasn't already erect and possibly even "leaky". Dreams.
Maybe he was, maybe Jack felt it.
Maybe Ennis was even dreaming of Jack   ;).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Maybe Ennis was even dreaming of Jack   ;).

I sure would have been. ...  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Wow! When I suggested this question, I had no idea that the discussion would take this fascinating turn!! 

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Wow! When I suggested this question, I had no idea that the discussion would take this fascinating turn!! 

I guess it did get turned off topic, and I guess that's my fault, but so it goes. ...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Actually I love it when threads go OT...I must be one sick individual. I like to give prizes for the most OT thread!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Wow, wow, wow!!

Sex, is that why Jack just could not learn to be just happy without it firstly?? For Ennis and Jack, their first sex scene in the BM movie firstly did help, and helped both!! Surely!! For as a second step for friendship!!

Ennis and Jack were drinking a lot
that night!!
So both had to have one hard since they were sleeping it off!! That was normal... right?? Booze galore goes there... while you sleep!!

As to if both did dream then about sex... likely so since both became hard??
That possibility seems there!! And for each!! Before sex!!

So Why couldn't Jack learn to just be happy with things as they were... not only after that, but important as well as before their first sex scene?? !! It had to be so (sex) for Jack since he had a crush, immediately when he first had seen Ennis at that trailer getting their jobs from Aguirre as seen in the BM movie!!
Is that why many gay men get drunk in order to have sex together?? May I ask?

Hugs!!  May all Ennis' and Jacks learn not to be happy as things are, as just sex, and seek the grandeur of love as things can become more happiness!!