Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 52474 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 01:04:36 pm »
NO disrespect intended rt but I rarely agree with critics...you say plodding, overlong, convoluted, unintentionally funny, self-important and boring.

Well this E*X*A*C*T*L*Y how I reacted to the book so sounds to me like Ron Howard and company did a bang up job with the material....what more can you ask.  ::shrugs::  Rarely do books translate well to film unless there is an excellent screen writer.  The HP series does it pretty well as does most of the Gresham novels but most disappoint mightly.

Hi Vic,

I would have expected from screenwriter Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) that this would have become exciting, inviting or engrossing -- not so.  There is zero chemistry between the stars to carry the endless amounts of exposition which sound as if they are read, read, read for the film's first unbearable hour...

rt

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:12:51 pm »
See and I enjoyed it....it was a little slow at times I thought and VERY self important as you said but all in all I liked it...

But I also have a bit of a bias because of Tom Hanks/Ron Howard

I personally recommend....but then I'm not a critic so what do I know?

How come you've seen it Chris? I thought it was out everywhere on Friday?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 01:13:42 pm »
Hi Vic,

I would have expected from screenwriter Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) that this would have become exciting, inviting or engrossing -- not so.  There is zero chemistry between the stars to carry the endless amounts of exposition which sound as if they are read, read, read for the film's first unbearable hour...

rt

Well I agree with the no chemistry thing......but to me it definetely wasn't enough to 'skip' the movie....

vkm91941

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 01:15:45 pm »
Well honey,  it seems pretty obivious that even an experience and capable screenwriter like Akiva Goldsman could not turn this sows ear into a silk purse.  Especially hard when the source material is so convoluted and  overly self important yet detailed enough that you must have all the back story to make any sense at all of the plot.   I felt  the same way about the Andrew Birkin screenplay of the Umberto Eco novel The Name of the Rose.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 01:18:24 pm »
How come you've seen it Chris? I thought it was out everywhere on Friday?

I had to screen it this morning for work.....

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 01:18:43 pm »
Thanks Rtprod.  I've been DaVinci coded out of my mind lately with all the press on TV.  I just don't care much for new twists on religious themes.  I bow out of the belief system with the formation of the catholic church.  That's where I consider the fairytale began. I have a hard time accepting most of what religion says, and certainly don't want to exert precious energy examining someone else's wild religious and/or sacrilegious imaginings.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:23:18 pm by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 01:29:01 pm »
I had to screen it this morning for work.....

Chris, I envy your job!  You will be the lucky few that can still see movie in theater even with a baby :).

For what its worth, I am not a big fan of casting Tom Hanks as Langdon in the movie to start with.  IMO, Tom Hanks is a little bit too old for the role.  I was all for Viggo Mortensen as Langdon (Vicky, do you like my choice? ;D).  I can totally see the no chemistry part even without seeing the movie.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 01:32:27 pm »
Thanks Rtprod.  I've been DaVinci coded out of my mind lately with all the press on TV.  I just don't care much for new twists on religious themes.  I bow out of the belief system with the formation of the catholic church.  That's where I consider the fairytale began. I have a hard time accepting most of what religion says, and certainly don't want to exert precious energy examining someone else's wild religious and/or sacrilegious imaginings.

I concur.  And not to be a total brown nose, but I generally agree with everything most critics say (Michael Medved and Roger Ebert can kiss my lily-white ass along with Mel Gibson, though).  And I almost always agree with what RT says.  Thusly, you couldn't pay me a brazillion dollars ;) to see this one.
No more beans!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:57 pm »
I concur.  And not to be a total brown nose, but I generally agree with everything most critics say (Michael Medved and Roger Ebert can kiss my lily-white ass along with Mel Gibson, though).  And I almost always agree with what RT says.  Thusly, you couldn't pay me a brazillion dollars ;) to see this one.

Thanks Ednbarby...for a moment there I thought I was inciting violence.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 01:52:58 pm »
  I was all for Viggo Mortensen as Langdon (Vicky, do you like my choice? ;D).  I can totally see the no chemistry part even without seeing the movie.

LOL yes Jenny you and I see eye to eye on all things Viggo!  LOL  :D