Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 51787 times)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2006, 08:15:32 pm »
As my 3 year old niece tells me all the time:
You're bein' such a fussy head!
I really enjoy reading what you guys have to say. I think you're all smart (I love smart people!) and opinionated (I love opinionated people too) which makes for some interesting discussions/debates/arguments.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

rtprod

WHOOPS...
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2006, 12:00:38 am »
From Box Office Mojo:

"In its second weekend, The Da Vinci Code dove 56 percent, the steepest fall of star Tom Hanks' career following his biggest opening, which was boosted by millions of eager readers of the blockbuster novel."

Whoops...

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2006, 12:46:00 am »
True, but in two weeks it's managed to make more than MI3 has in four.  Those built in audiences count for something.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2006, 12:48:46 am »
True, but in two weeks it's managed to make more than MI3 has in four.  Those built in audiences count for something.

Juan

Exactly...and it will top 200 million + over the next month....where as MI:III will hault at about 140 million....its obvious which Tom has the true Hollywood power....LOL

Besides...its 56% drop was actually lower then expected...with the negative critical reviews and HUGE opening with X3 it was expected to drop at least 60%....56% is in the lower end of modest...MI:III dropped 49% in its second weekend....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:55:39 am by christopher_SLAYERS »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2006, 03:35:22 am »
Ok, here is a quick review from me (not related to the box office :)). 

I saw both The Da Vinci Code and MI3 last Friday. The Da Vinci Code is what it is, a C+ movie.  The movie, for the most part, religiously copied the storyline from the book.  You can say it’s lack of creativity, but if you are a fan of the book, it may not be a bad thing.  I felt the movie was pushing though solving the puzzle parts to get the story moving.  It didn’t take time to explain the ins and outs of the clues/puzzles that were left by Sauniere, therefore the audience did not get the same appreciation to how well the puzzles were designed and what it took to solve them.  This is what made the book so fascinating to me, which I felt is missing in the movie.

That said, I still enjoyed the movie (and managed to not fall into sleep after MI3  :)).  You see, I am a visual person.  When I read the book, I was trying to imagine all the paintings, the artifacts, the places mentioned in the book.  The movie helped me visualize all the things and places.  I particularly enjoyed the part where Teabing explained the hidden code of “The Last Supper” in his study.  As others have already commented on, Ian McKellen is the only memorable actor in the movie.  He actually made Teabing more interesting than the book version. Overall, the movie is worth the money I paid for.

So if you like the book, you may still find the movie enjoyable.  If you have not read the book, but plan to see the movie anyway, just set your expectation low and you may want to reference the book for some details later.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2006, 11:17:26 am »
I saw it at the weekend and quite liked in.. not in my bestest top 10 movies ever..bu8t not in the worst ten either.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

moremojo

« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2006, 11:24:53 am »
Hey, guys--

Finally saw The Da Vinci Code over the holiday weekend, in Kerrville (and that trip is a whole story by itself), and must confess that I didn't think it was very good. It wasn't the laughable fiasco I had been led to believe; rather, I would describe the production as lackluster, with a distinct lack of chemistry between Hanks and Tautou. Ian McKellan and Paul Bettany gave the most memorable performances, and I confess a fondness for Jean Reno.

I have not read the book, but I went with my mother and my sister, both of whom had read it, and they didn't care for the movie either. Stay tuned for more of my Kerrville story later...

:)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:55:50 pm by moremojo »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2006, 01:03:08 pm »
Stay tuned for more of my Kerrville story later...

:)
Scott M.

Hurry now, you've whetted our appetite! Well, mine anyhow.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #198 on: May 31, 2006, 12:08:51 am »
OK, I saw it tonight. Unfortunately, I don't have a vehement opinion one way or another. On the one hand, I came as close as I have for years and years to falling asleep in the theater. (I've actually done that only twice: The Hudsucker Proxy and The Seven Percent Solution. Wait, three times: the Rugrats movie. But that hardly counts; any sentient adult would have done the same.) On the other, my lack of engagement may have had to do with the fact that five minutes into the movie I was called away and had to miss half an hour of it.

Still, there were times when I was mildly caught up. But I kept wishing it were less reverential and more fun, more in the mold of National Treasure or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My kids liked it. Tom looked better and more fit than I thought he would. Audrey was pretty, but her wardrobe was boring (if all else fails in a movie, I can always at least get into nice clothes). And in one scene where she and Tom were sprinting down the sidewalk, it looked like she had suddenly changed out of her four-inch heels and into something more practical for eluding gendarmes.

*Updated this morning because I remembered the Rugrats.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:09:51 am by latjoreme »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2006, 01:04:46 am »
but her wardrobe was boring (if all else fails in a movie, I can always at least get into nice clothes). And in one scene where she and Tom were sprinting down the sidewalk, it looked like she had suddenly changed out of her four-inch heels and into something more practical for eluding gendarmes.

I can excuse her wardrobe...she was a cop after all and on duty, so hardly a place to be a clothes horse, but, heh, you noticed the shoes too?

At the end of the movie, there's a scene where she dips her foot in a fountain and I was like WTF?!?!?  Ain't no way she's had on heels all this time running!