Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 52476 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 01:55:48 pm »
Now I'm just gonna throw my two cents in here...

No offense to anyone here because you know I love you all but.....granted critics are often times good judges in the film department hence the fact that they are critics...

But they aren't always right....and sometimes the best films get little critical appraise...so go see the film and judge for yourselves!  You never know what your missin unless you actually see it...and if you don't like it then that is great - thats your opinion and I respect that....but you can't necessarily judge a film by its critical success....JMO

Ok so there it is....

vkm91941

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 01:59:02 pm »
Sound advice Chris.  Some of my all time favorite films where not critical successes.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 02:22:22 pm »
Mind you, I am a movie critic wannabe, so I'm more than a tad biased in this department.   ::)

I don't take every review to heart, or even follow my favorite critics' picks and pans to the letter.  But if it's the general critical consensus that something is crap, I'm gonna skip it.  Similarly, if it's the general critical consensus that something is a must-see, I'm not gonna miss it.

Honestly, my feelings about the subject matter that Flash mirrored are a major deterrent, too, along with the fact that I attempted to read the book last year and disliked the main protagonist so much (can't even remember the character's name now - I think I'm repressing it) that I couldn't get past the first 50 pages.  Then there's the fact that I think "A Beautiful Mind" was grossly over-rated (probably one of the few things RT and I disagree on) and that I think Ron Howard is a bloody scientologist and I'm up fed up to my eyeballs with those guys, and, and, and...

Long story short (too late as usual) you guys make a good point - if you're really stoked to go see the movie, go see it an decide for yourself.  Truth is I wasn't that stoked in the first place.  :)
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 02:25:22 pm »
Well I definetely agree on the A Beautiful Mind thing Barb....wasn't THAT good IMO but then again there weren't many films that were that year.....

rtprod

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 02:37:38 pm »
Mind you, I am a movie critic wannabe, so I'm more than a tad biased in this department.   ::)

I don't take every review to heart, or even follow my favorite critics' picks and pans to the letter.  But if it's the general critical consensus that something is crap, I'm gonna skip it.  Similarly, if it's the general critical consensus that something is a must-see, I'm not gonna miss it.

Honestly, my feelings about the subject matter that Flash mirrored are a major deterrent, too, along with the fact that I attempted to read the book last year and disliked the main protagonist so much (can't even remember the character's name now - I think I'm repressing it) that I couldn't get past the first 50 pages.  Then there's the fact that I think "A Beautiful Mind" was grossly over-rated (probably one of the few things RT and I disagree on) and that I think Ron Howard is a bloody scientologist and I'm up fed up to my eyeballs with those guys, and, and, and...

Long story short (too late as usual) you guys make a good point - if you're really stoked to go see the movie, go see it an decide for yourself.  Truth is I wasn't that stoked in the first place.  :)

OHHHHHH, Barb, we are in TOTAL AGREEMENT HERE.  I also felt A Beautiful Mind was overrated and over-awarded.  No disagreement here, was just mentioning Goldsman's pedigree since that film does carry some clout.

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 02:40:39 pm »
OHHHHHH, Barb, we are in TOTAL AGREEMENT HERE.  I also felt A Beautiful Mind was overrated and over-awarded.  No disagreement here, was just mentioning Goldsman's pedigree since that film does carry some clout.

Phew!  You know I hate it when we disagree, lovey.  :)
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 02:42:12 pm »
Is Ron Howard a scientologist?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

rtprod

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 02:46:57 pm »
Now I'm just gonna throw my two cents in here...

No offense to anyone here because you know I love you all but.....granted critics are often times good judges in the film department hence the fact that they are critics...

But they aren't always right....and sometimes the best films get little critical appraise...so go see the film and judge for yourselves!  You never know what your missin unless you actually see it...and if you don't like it then that is great - thats your opinion and I respect that....but you can't necessarily judge a film by its critical success....JMO

Ok so there it is....

On the role of the press and our film criticism profession...  In our film critics prof. association, and it's one of the big ones with year-end voting and awards reported nationally, there's much discussion about this topic and my thought is as follows.  The role of the film critic is to objectively look at the film and ask these questions:

1. What did the director try to achieve?
2. How well did he achieve this end?  

Whether or not it was worth doing is a moot point. 

That is all there is, folks.  And though we'd like to think that subjectivity has a great deal to do with it, it really shouldn't be any criteria for a legitimate film critic when evaluating whether or not a film "works."  One of the best barometers you can employ is to separate personal taste from whether or not a work of art succeeds on its own terms.  Many times, whether or not we "like" something has little to do with how "good" it is.  

When you can say, "I understand that this film is very good and qualifies as a success.  However I personally didn't like it because...," then you know you're there in terms of your ability to remove yourself from your evaluation and talk objectively about the merit of the work. If you are worth your weight as a critic, you have to get outside yourself when it comes to subjects, genres, likes and dislikes. 

In the world of critics--mainly men who spend days together in a small room in the dark, talking of nothing much more than celluloid, and rarely about the outside world--there are those who begin with different perspectives as the credits roll for each film.  Perspective number one is the critic who is embittered and begins with a slightly negative stance the film must then overcome, as if it's to win him over.  Perspective number two is the critic who genuinely loves film and begins with a glass half full take.  And within the group there are TV journalists, entertainment "reporters," print, online, daily, weekly, cable, network, etc.  So there are many different evaluations happening and to different ends.  

Although, subjectively I wanted to love this one because anything that incites Christians to wave signs in the air and hold special services to debunk is A-OK in my book....  LOL

rt

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:18:54 pm by rtprod »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 02:53:21 pm »
Is Ron Howard a scientologist?

I'm just guessing he is, based only on the fact that the message of A Beautiful Mind seemed to be "Love Conquers All - Even Schizophrenia!"

:P

So I could be (and hope I am) totally wrong.  But it just seems like the kind of message one of those bozos would enjoy promoting.
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 02:55:15 pm »
Phew!  You know I hate it when we disagree, lovey.  :)

Oh, me too babe.  We just can't have that happening.  I'd have to get on a plane and work it out with ya.

rt