Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 52471 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2006, 01:57:56 am »
"The Da Vinci Code" is a fictional novel. While it is in error about some things in regard to Jesus and his sexuality, from what I understand

Heh, that's one of the main points of contention.  Historically, there is doubt that Jesus ever existed at all, so to have criticism about the book that it is 'in error' about Jesus' supposed life really means that what the book does is go against what the church has always taught about Jesus.

it presents facts about what the Roman Catholic Church has been doing for at least a thousand years.

Yep.  The article that you posted said it well in that as an organization consolidiating and holding onto power by control and propaganda, the RCC is no more guilty of atrocities than any other such organization. 

The difference, however, and it is vast, is that in doing so, the RCC went against its very foundations with tragic consequences for millions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 01:59:53 am by delalluvia »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2006, 06:12:32 am »
On a side note, I love how Brokeback seems like our lover. If we are talking about a movie we really like, it seems the majority of us say "I really liked this movie, I mean it's not as good as Brokeback, but it was good" as if our movie will feel rejected if we happen to like another movie.

Well I'm not at all surprised by this. We are, aren't we on a website with people who were deeply affected by this ONE movie - the masterpiece - and even if some others can't/don't see it it yet, WE all know that Brokeback Mountain is the best movie ever made! So to admit to liking, even loving other movies will for ever (well at least until the next one comes around) have to take a much lower appreciation level in our collective admiration. Otherwise, we'd move on to a different site that would elevate that other movie to superstardom.

With regards to lending DVD's out - I'm guilty of having two extra copies too - they're finally back (both of them came back yesterday) after being gone for the better part of two weeks!  ;)

DaVinci? - read the book, found it an easier read than Harry Potter, not impressed at all - the critics have spoken -- I'n not going to see it. (well maybe before I see "Crash", but I'm not going to go looking for it!) because... in my book ...
quality does matter
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 06:15:59 am by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2006, 09:57:36 am »
Oh, Thomas, the disciple, doubted that Jesus rose from the dead, too.

The scholarly and other skeptics these days don't doubt that he rose from the dead, they doubt he existed at all.

Just wanted to clarify that point.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2006, 01:17:10 pm »
Well it had the biggest Friday of the year pullin in 30 million...my estimate is between 80-90 million total for the weekend...

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2006, 01:28:44 pm »
Wow, interesting.  That's the biggest Friday gross so far this year?  I wonder if it'll have good or bad word of mouth.  I'm probably gonna see it in a couple hours.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

rtprod

« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2006, 02:11:01 pm »
Well it had the biggest Friday of the year pullin in 30 million...my estimate is between 80-90 million total for the weekend...

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Well what can be done about this?  All it indicates is a sign that there is a built-in audience.  Sorry the film doesn't deliver but then few films today do, and when there are great small films out there that nobody sees, lodged silently in art-house cinemas on one-week runs, and everybody runs to this dreck, it makes me....depressed.

rt

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2006, 04:00:21 pm »
Wow, interesting.  That's the biggest Friday gross so far this year?  I wonder if it'll have good or bad word of mouth.  I'm probably gonna see it in a couple hours.

Juan

Yep the biggest opening day this year and the 12th biggest in history...

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=open&p.htm

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2006, 04:09:43 pm »
Well what can be done about this?  All it indicates is a sign that there is a built-in audience.  Sorry the film doesn't deliver but then few films today do, and when there are great small films out there that nobody sees, lodged silently in art-house cinemas on one-week runs, and everybody runs to this dreck, it makes me....depressed.

You nailed it dead on. 

Also, the opening weekend doesn't say much anymore.  Let's see if it falls off a cliff by next weekend.  Word of mouth means a lot at $9+ a ticket.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2006, 04:31:27 pm »
You nailed it dead on. 

Also, the opening weekend doesn't say much anymore.  Let's see if it falls off a cliff by next weekend.  Word of mouth means a lot at $9+ a ticket.

$9?  Where ever you're goin your gettin ripped...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2006, 07:26:03 pm »
$9?  Where ever you're goin your gettin ripped...
Here in Canada the only theatre that offers tickets for less than $12.50 for new showings - are the matinees - and they're only available on weekends - at least here in Toronto. The canadian dollar is only worth 10% less than the american $ now! - so your costs of $9 sounds cheap compared to mine.

Ps - for BBM, I managed to see it about 10 times @ matinee prices most of the time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 08:36:55 pm by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer