Author Topic: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....  (Read 17347 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 09:44:12 pm »
It's funny, isn't it, how fate singles you out and decrees "Thou shalt be a Brokie."   

You can say....... Well, you know!  ;D
It is so true.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
You can say....... Well, you know!  ;D
It is so true.

Ain't it just?  Glad you were singled out, too, Friend.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:14 pm »

All of us here. Just amazing.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their story. I love reading these. More, please?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:01 am »
My life was changed on Saturday, December 8, 2006 when BBM premiered on HBO. I only knew it was a movie about "two gay cowboys", and had no knowledge of the unfolding plot. After my husband left for work I watched it by myself. When the movie finished, I could not understand my intense emotional reaction.

I was also unable to decipher the last line of the movie, and raced to the internet and typed in 'Brokeback Mountain' and eventually came upon the Bettermost forum. I was very glad that there was already in existence, a community of support for what I had just been through emotionally, because I thought I was 'nutso' for having such a strong reaction to it. I was an emotional wreck inside for days, and wondered how to broach the subject of the movie with my husband since I wanted to share the incredible experience with him, but I did not know what his reaction would be. After a few days I casually mentioned that I'd watched BBM, though inside I was far from casual or calm. BBM aired again on HBO about a week later and he watched it with me, and I could hardly contain myself inside, sneaking glances over at him to see if he had been as affected as I was during certain parts, or if I was indeed 'nutso'. (jury is still out on that...LOL).

Anyway, I just had to own the DVD and went in search of it that following Monday and bought it at a local Super Target.  I felt like it gave me something to hold onto, a piece of Jack and Ennis, while I pondered what I had experienced, what it all meant for the main characters as well as for myself. The forum was so helpful in those first few days, weeks, and months following my first viewing. It also made me resolute to go on the Alberta Pilgrimmage - I felt compelled to meet people who were similarly, deeply affected by BBM.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 09:52:25 am »
Me too Meryl, Me too!

BBM-Cat
I felt compelled to meet people who were similarly, deeply affected by BBM.
I know the feeling. Thats why I went to San Fran. I had to go. It was at a time when I wasn't sure How I was going to be able to but by God I was going. I did and I'm so glad. That one decision has changed my life almost as much as deciding to watch the movie.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 02:52:35 pm »
BBM-CatI know the feeling. Thats why I went to San Fran. I had to go. It was at a time when I wasn't sure How I was going to be able to but by God I was going. I did and I'm so glad. That one decision has changed my life almost as much as deciding to watch the movie.

Ain't it still amazing what has happened in the aftermath of this movie?
This need to reach out, to contact other Brokies, first online, then in person is one of the best presents Annie and Ang and all the others gave us. And the same thought of thankfulness goes to Phillip for providing our place.

And whenever I'm a bit envious when I read how often US BRokies find their way to each other I think of Kerstin. I'm the most lucky of us all. I have found the best friend a person can have through BBM, she's my RL friend and fellow Brokie - and she lives right here, only two streets away from me. In fact, I gotta hurry now. She'll be here in a few minutes and we'll have a night out together.

And don't get me started on Brokie travels - Best. Thing. Ever.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 08:47:54 am »

I first saw Brokeback Mountain at its very first public screening in Australia, on 26 January 2006 (the Australia Day public holiday), at the Broadway cinema complex in Sydney. It was a hot, high-summer day and we were glad to be in the air-conditioned cinema.

I went to the morning session with my dear friend, George, and we were surprised to find the theatre packed (unusual for a morning session). It's in a trendy part of the city, close to the gay precinct, and there was a sprinkling of celebrity A-Listers in attendance. It was an eclectic mix of gays and straight, probably slightly more women than men.

Though the theatre was full, there was not so much as a whisper throughout the screening. And at the end, most people stayed respectfully to the end of the credits, with lots of sniffling and nose blowing evident.

We had heard the publicity, though knew nothing of the actual plot, and were curious to see the movie. I think I may have been expecting something trashy and crass, because the local media had been pushing the "gay cowboys" line. Nothing could have prepared me for the life-changing event that was to come. I was a lamb to the slaughter.

I had not read the short story and, indeed, had never heard of Annie Proulx (boy, have I made up lost time on that score), so the ending was a totally traumatic revelation to me.

We went to lunch afterwards and talked non-stop about different aspects of the plot and how we should interpret the ending. We missed a lot of what was said by Ennis because of his mumbling, but we agreed that that was an endearing and integral aspect of his persona. Little did I know that I would still be discussing it two years later.

There were tears of course. Great, gushing, wailing sobs. That happened often, in the early days, and more so when I got the CD, book and screenplay. At times, I couldn't read the printed page for the tears. All I could do was put the book down and sob out loud.

I saw it about 20 times at various cinemas around the city (many more times on DVD), sometimes with George, sometimes alone. It ran for over two months in Sydney. A long run for this town.   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 09:21:05 am »

And don't get me started on Brokie travels - Best. Thing. Ever.

That's great Loneleeb3 & Pent - I hope I get to meet you all!

Kerry - what an intense, gripping experience - you're right, it was traumatic! Well put. Glad we are all functioning better now. LOL
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 09:29:30 am »
                                     "Thou shalt be a Brokie."

Meryl that should be on a souvenir or a glass or a pillow.  it encompasses everything about why we are here.

We didn't choose it.  It chose us.

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 10:25:52 am »
                                     "Thou shalt be a Brokie."

Question to our High Priestess and sentinel of the Cult-thread: is this already part of the Cult-thread? It should be!

That's great Loneleeb3 & Pent - I hope I get to meet you all!

My flights are already booked  :D Looking forward to meet you!