Author Topic: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....  (Read 17356 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 02:58:36 pm »
My flights are already booked  :D Looking forward to meet you!

Me too - flights booked! How crazy is that!? Oh wait, no one here will think that is crazy, nevermind. LOL

Maybe for the 4-year reunion we could get shirts

The 11th Commandment: "Thou Shalt Be a Brokie"

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
The first time I saw Brokeback Mountain was on Saturday, March 4, 2006 which was the day before the Oscars were aired. I saw it on a DVD at home by myself. I would have never thought or even considered that the movie would have the effect on me that it did. I had wanted to see it, but I truly believed it was just going to be a movie. I never expected the punch I received from it. I wanted to see it somehow before the Oscars which I did. I am still in disbelief that I actually heard the words "Crash" when they announced the best movie of the year. A few days later I went to the theatre by myself to see it on the big screen. The effect on me was the same as it has been everytime I have seen it since.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 08:33:38 pm »
Maybe for the 4-year reunion we could get shirts

The 11th Commandment: "Thou Shalt Be a Brokie"

;D  ;D  ;D

Question to our High Priestess and sentinel of the Cult-thread: is this already part of the Cult-thread? It should be!

You know, we do have a Ten Commandments (here) contributed by spottedreptile in the elder days when we resided at the Pierre Tremblay board.  Maybe I'll add it to these.  :)

The 10 commandments of Pierre Tremblay

Posted by spottedreptile Tuesday March 14, 2006

1. Thou shalt be strong of mind, and loving of heart.

2. Thou shalt not bait the troll, nor shalt thou tremble before it.

3. Thou shalt honor this board and all true believers who are contained therein.

4. Thou shalt be ever grateful to the goddess Annie Proulx and all her offerings.

5. Thou shalt not succumb to temptation, when some foul infidel dost defile her offerings.

6. Thou shalt not flee this haven for in doing so thou shalt betray thy honoured brethren who depend upon thy support.

7. Thou shalt be ever vigilant in defending this haven in all times good and bad, down to the smallest fibre of thy being, for this is a worthy place and
     attractive to enemies as a pure light attracts those who live in the dark.

8. Thou shalt hit without mercy the Blessed Tools provided for thy use, e.g. the Ignore Button and the Report Abuse Button.

9. Thou shalt sing songs of praise and joy regarding Brokeback Mountain to clear thy mind of dark thoughts and hopelessness if enemies arise, for
    arise they will.

10. Thou shalt remember that the infidel Troll dost draw strength from darkness and the weak capitulations of others, and therefore thou shalt pity
      the Troll, as it does not have a life.

11.  Thou shalt be a Brokie.

YEEHAW
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 10:14:26 pm »
I saw it on Friday, January 6, 2nd feature on opening day.  I took a 1/2 day off at work as I knew evening features and SaturdAY and SundAY features could possibly be a sellout and I didn't want to have to wait any longer.

I must have arrived at the theater an hour and half early and glad I did as a line had already formed.   I remember talking to the guy in line in front of me who had driven 2 1/2 hours to see the film.  The audience was very enthusiastic and really into it.  The air definitely reeked of "premiere" not that I've ever been to a film's official premiere, but I know there must an air of excitement for such a thing.     

After I left the theater, I though "Oh that was a good movie." Then I started thinking about more and more as it all sunk in.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 07:02:08 am »
I hired the DVD and watched it in mid April 2007, I had to take the next day off work and rewatched it several times, I was a shambles. This time last year I would never have believed my life would be changed by a movie but it has set me on the path for the rest of my life

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 03:53:03 pm »
Saw BBM at Regent on Worcester theatre in Christchurch on March 29 2006.  I was with an ex-colleague.  My reaction was that it was an excellent love story, and my God, Jake Gyllenhaal is hot!  My friend thought that Heath Ledger was the hot one.  But BBM didn't grab hold of me until I watched the DVD I bought in August 2008.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 04:19:14 pm »
I saw it for the first time on January of 2006, after reading an advance article in the Kansas City Star a few months before and getting curious about it.  Hadn't read the short story, never heard of anybody in it other than Randy Quaid and I just had a very general outline of the plot so I didn't have any particular expectations.

For some reason, the first viewing didn't affect me quite as much as the second. In January there were only a few theatres in the KC area showing it, and I went to the nearest one, which was way over on the Kansas side of the metro area. It was a sold-out show, as was the second viewing, this time closer to home, about three weeks later.

Advance-ordered the DVD from TLA Video, and it landed in our mailbox the very day the DVD was officially released. It was a wide-screen version, but I've bought a full-screen one since then. Have lost count of how many times I've watched either of them.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 01:23:43 pm »
I am not a regular movie goer, mainly because I just dont think to go to the movies, but for some reason, I watched the local papers here waiting to see when Brokeback Mountain was going to come to our local theatre.

The movie had all ready opened in the Capitol cities, but I live in a large country town, and knew that it would be a month or two before it was released here.

I had recently become friends with a lady in town, and mentioned to her that I was waiting for BBM to be released, she said, she was too, so we said we would contact each other when it happened.

It was early March 2006, finally, and I rang my friend and we arranged to go to a morning session on the second day of release here. Most of the audience were women, but there were a few men who I guessed were probably gay.

I had read only one review of the movie, which did not shed much light on the movie, I remember the "gay cowboy" phrase, and in my mind I was thinking it would be cowboys in the old wild west, and I was intrigued how they were going to portray a gay theme for those times.

So my first shock was when the 1963 date came up on the screen, and I think it was then, that I realized that this movie was not going to be anything like I imagined.

To say, I sat there spellbound, is an understatement, at times I thought someone had written a story about my own life.......as one of Ennis's children. I could actually feel myself gulping air, sometimes even wondering if I was going to miss taking a breath.

I must admit, I did not understand a lot of the dialogue, and strained to decipher what was being said at times, particularly by Ennis. I did not understand the dozy embrace, thinking that there was a production error there somewhere, because one minute Jack had a moustache, and next minute he didn't. When Ennis was waiting for Jack after the four years, I kept thinking that Jack was going to break Ennis's heart, by not responding to the reunion, the same way, as I could see Ennis so excited about it....then when they had that memorable embrace, my fears were put to rest....only to be physically sickened when Alma opened the door and saw them.....and then another fear set in, as to what was going to happen now.

Then the rest of the movie, was will they end up together, why does Ennis have to be so dam paranoid, the frustrations, made me want to stand up and yell out....for Christ sake, be together, stay together, it will work out.

And then Jack getting killed.....I must admit I was one of the many viewers, who did not notice the DECEASED stamped on the postcard, so when Ennis started talking to Laureen on the phone, was when I realized that Jack was gone, and then the scene showing him getting bashed, was, I assumed, was the way he had died. The feeling of finality for Ennis, the thought that for the rest of the movie there would be no more Jack and Ennis together, made me feel so empty.

And then the shirts at the end.......I honestly could hardly breathe, and I was sobbing like a baby.

I walked out of the theatre, like I had just been in a different lifetime, that I had been carried away to be included in Jack and Ennis's life. At the same time, I was feeling like I had been there before, that I had been part of it all before......and I had in my own life.

I couldn't even speak to my friend who had been with me. I walked to my car, and I sat there, and I remember pouding the steering wheel, and crying, even yelling, not even sure what I was saying, but I could hear this loud noise coming out of my throat, mixed in with the sobs.

I went back to the theatre three more times in the following two weeks to see it again. I couldn't stop talking about it to my family and friends, but I soon realized they just did not understand what I was feeling.

Then I got the idea to look it up on the net, to maybe read some more reviews, or to try to get some more information on the movie, and also to give me a bit more insight into so many things in the movie that I did not understand. I just wanted to get as much information about it as I could.

I went into Yahoo, because that was my main search engine, and while browsing, I found the Yahoo message board on BBM. OH thank goodness, I thought, I am not the only one going crazy over this movie. I think I read every post written on that board. Eventually I made my way to Bettermost, and here I am, still here, still fascinated by how a movie can move so many people, bring so many people together, change so many people's lives.

Whoever did it, howevever it happened, I would never want to change this journey.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 02:05:36 pm »

I don't know how I managed to overlook this poll for so long! Interesting stories Buds!

I saw BBM for the first time in a theater in Pittsburgh (I saw it 5 times in the same cute little-ish indie movie house) early in 2006.  I can't quite remember if it was January or February.  I have a very bad memory for dates like that (when it comes to almost any topic).  I seem to recall that it didn't open in Pittsburgh until early 06, and I saw it very shortly after it opened here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »
I saw Brokeback in Montclair, NJ on Dec. 26th of 2005.

Christmas that year fell on a Sunday.  Because of that, the banks were closed Monday, so I had an extra day.  Most of my friends had work, so I had decided I was going to see Brokeback alone.  However, my mom decided she wanted to see it with me, and we went.

I expected to be able to get a seat quickly.  Instead, the line was out the door.  We were told we could see the viewing we wanted, if we were willing to sit in the front row.

That's what we did.

From that day on, I was a Brokie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!