Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72388 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2008, 09:52:36 pm »
If BBM's lesson is about tolerance, why can't it be applied to both sides on this issue?!

Very true. Excellent point, yb.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2008, 11:35:55 pm »
I completely agree that there's nothing at all wrong with folks hoping for a statement from Jake on this.  In fact, I think it's very reasonable from the perspective of serious Brokies.  And, I'm pretty much in the camp of folks who would really like to hear from Jake.  For me, it would help produce some sense of "closure" for me.  As it is, whether it's reasonable or not, I know that as a Brokie I'm personally waiting for Jake to do or say something.

But, I don't really see an analogy between the current "wait-and-see" ambiguity going on in terms of Jake and his reaction to Heath's passing and the "lessons" of BBM (of which, it could be argued there are many... the "lessons" of the film/story are just too complex).

But, I do think that Heath and Jake playing the two main roles in BBM is extraordinary (extraordinary in terms of cinematic history at least, and probably in terms of personal bond... given the evidence that Jake's Matilda's godfather, etc.).  These two actors will always and forever be linked together in the public mind and in cinematic history for generations.  And, now that Heath is gone, BBM is the most substantial and extraordinary film in Heath's short career... so, BBM takes on even greater proportions when Heath's career is considered on its own.  It just seems important to have folks (and probably most importantly, Jake) from this extremely important film to Heath's enduring cinematic legacy, mark Heath's passing. So, in that sense, I think it's perfectly understandable why there's some confusion and even frustration about Jake's withdrawl from the scene to such an extreme degree and his lack of a eulogy type statement so far.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

yb

« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2008, 11:58:06 pm »
^^^

atz75, I totally agree with everything you said.

About the lesson learned from BBM, I want to clarify that I threw in the 'tolerance' angle because it is what was claimed by those who are on Jake's side, not here but elsewhere.  My point is that's a valid reasoning, but it should also go both ways.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't really care if Jake issued a statement or not (it wouldn't bring back Heath anyway).  I can see both sides' arguments, but what irked me is some people's tendency to make those who wanted to hear from Jake feel bad or unreasonable to have such wish.

OK, that's all I've got to say about this issue.  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2008, 12:03:26 am »
well that is just it.  I don't see Jake as 'withdrawing from the scene' , I don't think there is a 'scene.'  He has made several films since 'Brokeback.'  And admittedly, he has had a hard time getting any good notices on them.  And his viability as an actor, as someone who as frequently as not has the supporting role rather than the lead, depends upon his making new films, not resting on the laurels of an award-winning performance, as much as we loved that performance.  Frankly I don't think Jake has as much invested in his role as Jack Twist as any of his fans do.  If I were Jake I think I would be far more involved in the political import of his lead in 'Rendition' and 'Jarhead', considering his political activism.  While he has gone on record as being content with his role as an icon for the gay community, Jack Twist is one role of many, and Heath Ledger, one co-star of many.  I think his actions are completely consistent, in that he rarely has personal comments to make outside of public relations junkets for his films, or outside of his chosen charity activities.  And I think his lack of a statement is quite purposeful: he wants those who follow his career to focus on his present roles, not his past ones, and he would rather keep his private life and private feelings private.  It might also be noted that Maggie, who had scenes with Heath in his most recent completed film, has made no statement either.  I believe that this is purposeful, due to how private they are as people.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2008, 01:03:21 am »
Personally for me, Jake and Heath became so intertwined,almost inseperable from Jack and Ennis due to BBM ,that it is hard to not hear anything from Jake.It is like I want that on screen love to translate into real life,friendship love.Ridiculous I know.
It is further complicated by Jake being Godfather to Heaths daughter.Something which would seem to indicate a friendship beyond the film.You would not normally nominate just a mere aquaintance to take on such an important role.I am godmother only to my best friends daughter.Like wise my dearest friends are god parents to my kids.
It is difficult then to understand why as a friend,not fellow actor no statement has been made.If the mother of my god daughter died and all kinds of things were being said about her,some of which were mere supposition, verging on scandelmongering, I would feel obliged to set the record straight.

This sounds like a criticism of Jake and it is not meant to.

If nothing else I am surprised he was not at the funeral,just to say a few words.That is usually what happens.A friend dies,you attend the funeral,and say some well meaning words from the heart.It is if nothing else a cleansing experience.Those words could then have been released to which ever media he preferred.No need to involve the more scandalous,thrill seeking mags.It could have been released to the more serious press publications.After all the funeral service in Australia was pretty private.

The only conclusion I can come to is ,maybe it was just too painful for him.And he prefered  to lick his wounds in private.Or could be he just did not want to be put in the position where anything he said could be misconstrued.Perhaps he knew things about Heath that he did not want to accidentally slip out in an unguarded moment of distress. Who knows. And he may have thought that a statement issued by someone else on his behalf would have been criticised as well.As in why did you not say something personal yourself.

I think it is a pretty difficult call for him.One thing is for sure,the longer he leaves it the more difficult it becomes.I do not envy him.
I find myself asking the question,if it was him who had died,what would Heath have done.
One thing's for sure,I hope what ever the reason behind his silence he is in a good place in his head.He still occupies a space in my heart.Pity one of the other spaces is now empty.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2008, 09:05:44 am »
Many people here have speculated about why Jake hasn't made a statement and have also commented on the importance of his Brokie fans to his career. Maybe he doesn't realize just how large or devoted his Brokie fanbase is? Maybe he doesn't realize how disappointed many of you are? How about if you write and tell him so? Here's an address:

Jake Gyllenhaal
Creative Artists Agency
9830 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90212-1825
USA

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:59 am »
Yeah. I've written there before.

Sent a SASE and requested a picture. No reply.

Maybe I should be more persistent -- like Truman and Andy Dufresne.

Might work if everyone wrote.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2008, 11:52:44 am »
For me, the answer to the mystery is simple: he doesn't emote in public, and he isn't going to emote to the press either.  Unfortunately that may also extend to fans of Brokeback as well.  After all, Jake was Heath's friend - not ours, and doesn't answer to us.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2008, 12:22:22 pm »
I had the same thought as Optom concerning what Heath would have done if things would have been the other way around. Would he have made a statement about Jake? I still do find it strange that Jake has said absolutely nothing and it appears that he will not. I actually did see Maggie speaking of Heath this past Friday on Entertainment Tonight. She was talking about what a great actor he was. Maybe we were all wrong in speculating that Heath and Jake were friends outside of BBM. It certainly does seem that Jake being Matilda's godfather meant something. Who knows, maybe it was Michelle who was actually the good friend and not Heath. Maybe it was her idea to have Jake as Matilda's godfather. I think sometimes that we as Brokies may want them to be good friends in real life because their roles in BBM were so important to us. To think of them as not being friends at all and meaning nothing to each other is rather hard to think about. In some ways it shatters some of the mystique of those powerful scenes in BBM. However, we do have to remember that it was just a movie although in so many ways it transcends that. However, it can never be taken away from us how Heath and Jake did indeed bring the characters of Ennis and Jack to life. It truly does make me wonder though if Jake realized or ever realized how important that character of Jack was to so many of us. It seems that even an acknowledgment of Heath's passing would have been better than nothing.

mvansand76

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2008, 01:14:46 pm »
I had the same thought as Optom concerning what Heath would have done if things would have been the other way around. Would he have made a statement about Jake? I still do find it strange that Jake has said absolutely nothing and it appears that he will not. I actually did see Maggie speaking of Heath this past Friday on Entertainment Tonight. She was talking about what a great actor he was. Maybe we were all wrong in speculating that Heath and Jake were friends outside of BBM. It certainly does seem that Jake being Matilda's godfather meant something. Who knows, maybe it was Michelle who was actually the good friend and not Heath. Maybe it was her idea to have Jake as Matilda's godfather. I think sometimes that we as Brokies may want them to be good friends in real life because their roles in BBM were so important to us. To think of them as not being friends at all and meaning nothing to each other is rather hard to think about. In some ways it shatters some of the mystique of those powerful scenes in BBM. However, we do have to remember that it was just a movie although in so many ways it transcends that. However, it can never be taken away from us how Heath and Jake did indeed bring the characters of Ennis and Jack to life. It truly does make me wonder though if Jake realized or ever realized how important that character of Jack was to so many of us. It seems that even an acknowledgment of Heath's passing would have been better than nothing.

Thank you. You put it in words much better, because even though I thought I had explained it pretty clearly in my previous post, there are obviously still people who either don't get what I say or don't read what I say carefully enough. That doesn't matter, I will drop this thing now and never come back to it, because it's a senseless discussion anyway. It shouldn't even be a damn discussion, but that's what people are making out of it, even blaming people for not valuing the lesson of Brokeback Mountain. What crap.