Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72639 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2008, 03:27:36 pm »
I had the same thought as Optom concerning what Heath would have done if things would have been the other way around. Would he have made a statement about Jake? I still do find it strange that Jake has said absolutely nothing and it appears that he will not. I actually did see Maggie speaking of Heath this past Friday on Entertainment Tonight. She was talking about what a great actor he was.

Well, there's a movie coming up where both Heath and Maggie are in so I'm not surprised she actually spoke about him. Heath is one of the leading actors of Batman so speaking about him it is probably mandatory and expected. In fact, I actually expect her to speak more about Heath in the months to come, when the movie promotion actually begins.

Also, Daniel Day Lewis, Naomi Watts and even Maggie had the ocassion to say something about Heath. They all did it duing interviews and awards ceremonies. When Jake's new movie Brothers is released he'll probably say something because as the lead actor he will have to give out interviews, and I am pretty sure journalists will not miss the opportunity to ask him about Heath.

I personally think it'd be an act of disrespect to Heath's family and even to Michelle if Jake had given out a public statement about Heath's death, considering how private Heath was. Jake is a smart man and I'm sure he knows what he's doing. The important people here are Heath and his family, not us. Jake had to show respect to them not to us. Just my 2 cents.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2008, 03:49:24 pm »
Thank you. You put it in words much better, because even though I thought I had explained it pretty clearly in my previous post, there are obviously still people who either don't get what I say or don't read what I say carefully enough. That doesn't matter, I will drop this thing now and never come back to it, because it's a senseless discussion anyway. It shouldn't even be a damn discussion, but that's what people are making out of it, even blaming people for not valuing the lesson of Brokeback Mountain. What crap.

I don't think people are criticising the way you feel about this issue, but pretty much stating their opinion.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

mvansand76

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2008, 05:10:18 pm »
I don't think people are criticising the way you feel about this issue, but pretty much stating their opinion.

Who said anything about criticism? I didn't. I was just wondering if people actually read what I wrote before stumbling back into that weeks-old and chewed out discussion.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2008, 06:07:21 pm »
Well, there's a movie coming up where both Heath and Maggie are in so I'm not surprised she actually spoke about him. Heath is one of the leading actors of Batman so speaking about him it is probably mandatory and expected. In fact, I actually expect her to speak more about Heath in the months to come, when the movie promotion actually begins.

Also, Daniel Day Lewis, Naomi Watts and even Maggie had the ocassion to say something about Heath. They all did it duing interviews and awards ceremonies. When Jake's new movie Brothers is released he'll probably say something because as the lead actor he will have to give out interviews, and I am pretty sure journalists will not miss the opportunity to ask him about Heath.

I personally think it'd be an act of disrespect to Heath's family and even to Michelle if Jake had given out a public statement about Heath's death, considering how private Heath was. Jake is a smart man and I'm sure he knows what he's doing. The important people here are Heath and his family, not us. Jake had to show respect to them not to us. Just my 2 cents.

yes, that is pretty much what I am getting at.  Jake has not said anything to anybody in the press, about anything from what I can determine, and won't until he is doing press for a film.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »
yes, that is pretty much what I am getting at.  Jake has not said anything to anybody in the press, about anything from what I can determine, and won't until he is doing press for a film.

I think when death is concerned it should be different. There are many other friends and co-stars who are as  private as Jake who commented on Heath's death via statement when asked, and i'm sure Jake was among those contacted by the press. Not every statement came frome public appearances, like Ang Lee's first beautiful tribute, it was released by his PR.
Just a few days ago, press contacted Jake to ask him where his foot injury came from, his PR replied immediately that it was an accident happend during a basketball game! In this case he didn't ignore the press!

Oh, just wanted to add that i added more quotes from friends and co-stars in the Heath tributes thread. Check it out! :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:08 pm »
This does not constitute "latest" news.  But, I was googling about Jake to find out why he's been spotted with crutches recently.  And found myself on the Wikipedia page for Jake (something I've never looked at before... yes, it's a slow day at work today).

Anyway, there's a section on the rather extensive page for him about "family" and it's interesting to note how large a role the concept of "godparent" seems to have played in Jake's life (including but also beyond the situation with Matilda).  I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable of sources.  But, I thought this was interesting enough to bring over here... For what it's worth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Gyllenhaal

Family
Gyllenhaal's sister Maggie is engaged to actor Peter Sarsgaard, Gyllenhaal's co-star in Jarhead and Rendition. Gyllenhaal's niece, Ramona Sarsgaard, was born on October 3, 2006. In December, 2006, Jake and his sister escaped a fire that destroyed Manka's, a famed lodge and restaurant in Inverness, California, at which they were vacationing.[51] Jamie Lee Curtis is Gyllenhaal's godmother,[4] and he has repeatedly referred to his godfathers being a gay couple.[52][53] Gyllenhaal himself is the godfather of Matilda Rose Ledger (born October 28, 2005), daughter of Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams, both of whom co-starred with him in Brokeback Mountain.[54] His uncle, Anders Gyllenhaal, is the executive editor of The Miami Herald. His late uncle is filmmaker Robert Achs.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2008, 03:05:54 pm »
Atz he supposedly hurt his leg playing basketball, but he is fine now, there are new pictures of him (without crutches) and Reese (who is not pictured) on http://www.iheartjake.com/  attending a private service  in L.A. You can also check out the iheartjake.com forum for the new pics, you have to register.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2008, 02:09:37 pm »
for anyone who is registered on LJ, I have written an essay on Jake and the aftermath of Heath's death, if you would like to read it.  Registered LJ users are welcome to comment on my LJ.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/262111.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2008, 03:15:28 pm »
for anyone who is registered on LJ, I have written an essay on Jake and the aftermath of Heath's death, if you would like to read it.  Registered LJ users are welcome to comment on my LJ.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/262111.html

I think you made some very valid points as well as ones I agree with in your story on LJ. Beyond the fact that Jake is Matilda's Godfather there is nothing else to prove that there was any friendship between Heath and Jake. Even the fact that Jake is Matilda's Godfather does not mean that the two of them were friends. As I said earlier it could be that Jake and Michelle are actually the ones who are friends and it may have been her idea to make Jake the Godfather. Since there are no facts that we know of everything just becomes speculation. However, regardless of what they were in real life that will not change what they were in Brokeback Mountain. Because their performances were so spectacular in portraying Ennis and Jack it truly is hard to separate the characters from the actors. I think it would have been wonderful if somehow Heath and Jake could have been that close to each other in real life. For us the fans, it would have been like the happy ending we did not get from the movie. However, everything suggests that there was nothing between them in real life except coworkers in a movie. Of course again there are no facts to back anything up.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2008, 07:47:51 am »
Since Jake hasn't even acknowledged Heath's passing, why is this thread in the Heath Rememberance Forum?  ???