Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72596 times)

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2008, 12:23:16 pm »
I know i repeat myself so often, but i have to add my two cents here too. I think Michelle, his family, friends and colleagues felt, despite the pain they were in, the need to pay tribute to him. Gossip rags are still full of mostly false stories about Heath and paying tribute, saying what a great and talented guy Heath was  is a wonderful counterpart and everyone who loved and respected him wanted the public to know the positive stuff too. I really don't think it was harder for Jake to pay tribute than it was for his family and the mother of Heath's child. And maybe i agree with atz that i'm rather baffled than disappointed  because of the lack of tribute, gesture to a friend and co-star.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2008, 03:46:10 pm »
Because rumor runs rampant that Jake is closeted gay.

yes, I have heard rumors repeated about this matter. But, since Jake himself has indicated that he is not gay, why not just accept his version?

I have a very stong belief that if Jake were gay or bisexual, he would have no problem revealing this and then he would move on with his life.   :)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »
I know i repeat myself so often, but i have to add my two cents here too. I think Michelle, his family, friends and colleagues felt, despite the pain they were in, the need to pay tribute to him. Gossip rags are still full of mostly false stories about Heath and paying tribute, saying what a great and talented guy Heath was  is a wonderful counterpart and everyone who loved and respected him wanted the public to know the positive stuff too. I really don't think it was harder for Jake to pay tribute than it was for his family and the mother of Heath's child. And maybe i agree with atz that i'm rather baffled than disappointed  because of the lack of tribute, gesture to a friend and co-star.

And herein lies the gist of some folks' disappointment. We don't know why Jake has remained silent on the subject and when push comes to shove, he doesn't owe anyone anything. But-and it's a big butt (not unlike my own) Jake lives in the public eye, by choice, and employs people to manage his public persona. It is absolutely true that his fan base grew tremendously as a result of Brokeback Mountain, a fact that he was very clear in acknowledging, and that fan base has some cranked out people in it. To issue a statement, and I'm not talking tearful interviews on Oprah, seems to me to be little to do by "his people".

As for his fans, to suggest that his "true fans" aren't judging his actions is showing a lack of understanding of how profoundly some people have been disappointed. I know some people who loved him hard and are pretty broken hearted about this. And whether they (we) knew him or not doesn't minimize or invalidate their grief.

I don't see this even remotely as an issue of how people handle their grief. Unlike most of us, people in the public eye have staff that manage their PR and are capable dealing with these types of issues. And not to compare his sadness to anyone else that had a relationship with Heath, as MilAn stated others were able to say, or have said, some little word about it. It seems obvious, at least to me, that he deliberately chose not to do this and must have a good reason for it. He has never appeared to be a jerk so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his actions. I do, however, see it as a blunder in the sense that perhaps his PR people did not anticipate the backlash that would result.

As for why this discussion continues-well, Jake's supporters will continue to feel the need to defend him against perceived attacks to his character and motivation. And that is how it should be.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:24:14 pm by enjaroux »

Heathen

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2008, 03:22:25 am »
Rouxb, you're doing it again! but thanks anyway.  ;)

But-and it's a big butt (not unlike my own)

I nearly spilled my sunday morning coffee over my computer!!  :laugh:

I agree with the rest of your post btw.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2008, 09:01:28 pm »
Love you Jake G. !

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2008, 05:10:22 pm »
HEATH AND JAKE :'(

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2008, 09:49:02 am »
What seems to be at issue is how he dealt with the public - the fans.  Here I think we're presumptuous to judge him on what he did or didn't do.  It was unusual for him not to make a public statement, but to expect a "tribute" is a bit much.  The choice of his actions was entirely his and I don't consider his not making a public gesture a "mistake" or a "blunder".  What he did was quite intentional and for his own reasons which I will not deem to judge. People deal with grief in different ways and Jake has it harder than most considering he is an actor.  So whatever he did was right for him and fans need to be more accepting of this.  It wasn't their friend who died.

I couldn't agree more.
No more beans!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2008, 09:59:38 am »
LOVE you to-day too Jake G. !

Hugs!