Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 71887 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2008, 10:44:26 am »
I was going to make that same point, Natali - that the Perth funeral seemed to be for family and the family's friends.  And that it's quite possible that the family expressed a wish that the other folks not attend to keep the media at bay.  Or that the other folks collectively decided that would be the best idea.

I'm also with Jude that he's just dealing with it in his own way.  And I still think that any effort to keep the media from exploiting their friendship isn't for self-preservation - after all, any publicity is good publicity (unless you're Tom Cruise), right?  It's out of respect for Heath and his family.  He could just very well be doing what he knows Heath would want him to do.  Heath was extremely private.  So is Jake.  It's not that much of a mystery to me.  Like everyone, I'd just like to know that he's doing OK.  If he's gone back to the set for "Brothers," that's very good news.
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:41 am »
I was going to make that same point, Natali - that the Perth funeral seemed to be for family and the family's friends.  And that it's quite possible that the family expressed a wish that the other folks not attend to keep the media at bay.  Or that the other folks collectively decided that would be the best idea.

There are also very aware of the general public's expectation (Brokies included) about what Jake would do/say/go to. I'm pretty sure they have people searching the forums and gathering information, and they know the media is too so maybe there was a collective decision to keep things as low key as possible by reducing the number of attendees at the funeral, though 500 hundred guests is a lot of people.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2008, 11:09:23 am »
One thing about the mountains of northern New Mexico, where Jake's movie is filming: there have been two storms there in the past two weeks, and now it's sunny and things will be melting. If they're filming outdoor scenes (which seems likely in NM; the state markets its scenery to Hollywood, and it stands in for a lot of other places), they've got to worry about the natural conditions changing rapidly at this time of year. They might have trouble with continuity if they don't wrap filming while winter's behaving like winter (assuming that they wanted real snow visible - and if they didn't, why film in January and February?).

Jake was seen in LA. It's possible that he went to that memorial service, but then needed to come back to NM and finish his work on Brothers.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2008, 11:13:06 am »
Was Ang at the funeral? Or otbher BBM reps? anne Hathaway?

Kelda I was wondering about Anne Hathaway also.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2008, 11:17:09 am »
I do feel it is highly possible that Jake wants to stay out of the media's attention. As others have said at this point Jake making a statement would solve nothing. He may as someone else said be doing exactly what he feels Heath would have wanted.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2008, 01:01:16 pm »
I have no problem with Anne Hathaway not appearing.  She was in BBM, but she never shared any screentime with Heath and probably only met him after the movie when they were doing a publicity jaunt and by then he was involved with Michelle and likely not into socializing with a big group much.

Did she show up at the LA memorial service?  I much rather have seen her than a one night stand like Lindsey Lohan.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »
First of all a  :-* to Kelda. No worries.

I was going to make that same point, Natali - that the Perth funeral seemed to be for family and the family's friends.  And that it's quite possible that the family expressed a wish that the other folks not attend to keep the media at bay. 

Well, Cate Blanchett and Bryan Brown attended. They are movie stars/actors and previous co-stars in Heath's films - perhaps they were also personal friends, I do not know. But it hardly was an affair limited to the closest family friends, seems to me. As for only Aussies attending I think that must have had to do with the travel distance from the US/UK and the fact of the LA memorial services as much as anything  - the Hollywood set had already had the opportunity to say their goodbyes, - but it seems unlikely to me that foreign co-star actors would have been specifically asked to not attend the Perth service.

The thing is, Jake's absence and silence is starting to draw as much attention as his attendance/speaking out would. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation in that regard. Scandinavia's largest paper, VG, has a short article on Heath's funeral today. Despite the briefness of the piece they do specifically make a point of mentioning that "Jake Gyllenhaal however was not present". So it's not just the Brokeback fan crowd making a point of this.

I think things had been easier for Jake if he had made some sort of short statement, through his publicist even, like Michelle did. That would ease the pressure and curiosity.... Jake must know that, so I feel a bit worried that he remains quiet despite that. Though I hesitate to interpret the silence.

---

Del, I wasn't comparing Heath and la Dunst, very far from it - but it's not too long ago that I stumbled across someone's collection of photos of Jake with Kirsten on the net, and there could be little doubt from those that they were very much in love once, and in Hollywood terms their relationship lasted long, too. So I would think Jake might also be upset about her being in a situation where she needs rehab, coming on top of what happened to Heath. But of course I am only speculating...  :-\

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2008, 01:29:20 pm »

I think the only reason Jake was presumed to be there was that the media had access to the guest list for the Penrhos College memorial service, and he was on the guest list.  The rest of his presumed attendance may have simply been guessed.

As far as who was taking care of Matilda, Michelle arrived in Perth with a female companion who was unnamed in the photos - that was probably an assistant/nanny to help care for Matilda while Michelle attended the services.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
Well I have to confess to being surprised that Jake didn,t go to Heaths, funeral. Maybe he attended the memorail service in LA, I don,t know. As to his silence, I can only assume, as we all can, that he is simply to distraught to say anything. But I,m only speculating. I expect we,ll all find out something sooner or later. Whatever the reason for his abscence/silence, I just hope he,s ok.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2008, 01:35:21 pm »
Well I have to confess to being surprised that Jake didn,t go to Heaths, funeral. Maybe he attended the memorail service in LA, I don,t know. As to his silence, I can only assume, as we all can, that he is simply to distraught to say anything. But I,m only speculating. I expect we,ll all find out something sooner or later. Whatever the reason for his abscence/silence, I just hope he,s ok.

for me, I don't think silence necessarily equals 'distraught'...  he may very well be distraught, but he also just may be choosing to be silent, for reasons that could perhaps number one million.

I can just as easily imagine that he would rather not say anything at all, for fear of having his words overly interpreted, etc., potentially adding fuel to the fire, spawning further gossip, blah blah blah.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."