Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72374 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2008, 01:36:46 pm »

As far as who was taking care of Matilda, Michelle arrived in Perth with a female companion who was unnamed in the photos - that was probably an assistant/nanny to help care for Matilda while Michelle attended the services.

I think one of Heath's sisters has twins who are, oh ca. 4 years old? I saw a picture of them, two very adorable blond tousled-headed girls. I'd imagine someone probably was looking after both the two of them and Matilda together while the family was at the service and wake.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2008, 02:06:17 pm »
for me, I don't think silence necessarily equals 'distraught'...  he may very well be distraught, but he also just may be choosing to be silent, for reasons that could perhaps number one million.

I can just as easily imagine that he would rather not say anything at all, for fear of having his words overly interpreted, etc., potentially adding fuel to the fire, spawning further gossip, blah blah blah.

Yes Bel your right. His silence could be for a million and one reasons, who knows. I,m only thinking out loud really. Like I said, I expect we,ll all find out soon enough.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2008, 02:33:28 pm »
I think ultimately we are all concerned about Jake, because if he feels half as unsettled as all the rest of us do, it must be pretty tough to do his job!  And the timing is terrible for him just as they are trying to wrap up shooting of a film he is starring in.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2008, 03:00:57 pm »
I think one of Heath's sisters has twins who are, oh ca. 4 years old? I saw a picture of them, two very adorable blond tousled-headed girls. I'd imagine someone probably was looking after both the two of them and Matilda together while the family was at the service and wake.

They have to be Kate's daughters because the other two are too young to be mothers of four year olds. According to this site, Heath's sister Olivia Ledger is 11 years old, and the other one Ashleigh Bell is 18.

http://www.nndb.com/people/204/000029117/
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:15 am »
Just as others have said there could be a million possible reasons why Jake did not attend the memorial service in Perth or make any statement concerning Heath. It may be that he prefers to keep his thoughts private to himself and not end up in the spotlight concerning the tragedy. Although they have been reported to be best friends and he is Matilda's godfather I don't think they ran in the same circles at all. In fact Heath didn't run much in any circles from what I can tell. He was a very private person and seemed to have friends from a variety of groups. He was certainly not the type who belonged to any specific clique. Although Jake does appear more frequently in the Hollywood circles I still see him as a rather private person too. Who knows it might have been he didn't go to the memorial service because he didn't want to be a part of the fanfare. For some reason I cannot see Jake jumping into the Indian Ocean and frolicking around as a goodbye to Heath. I know the people doing this reportedly did so cause Heath would have liked it. From everything I have read about Heath there is something about that I just don't see as something he would like all that much. I see him to be too private and too quiet to think all that much about something like that. Just my two cents worth.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2008, 12:00:05 pm »
Just as others have said there could be a million possible reasons why Jake did not attend the memorial service in Perth or make any statement concerning Heath. It may be that he prefers to keep his thoughts private to himself and not end up in the spotlight concerning the tragedy. Although they have been reported to be best friends and he is Matilda's godfather I don't think they ran in the same circles at all. In fact Heath didn't run much in any circles from what I can tell. He was a very private person and seemed to have friends from a variety of groups. He was certainly not the type who belonged to any specific clique. Although Jake does appear more frequently in the Hollywood circles I still see him as a rather private person too. Who knows it might have been he didn't go to the memorial service because he didn't want to be a part of the fanfare. For some reason I cannot see Jake jumping into the Indian Ocean and frolicking around as a goodbye to Heath. I know the people doing this reportedly did so cause Heath would have liked it. From everything I have read about Heath there is something about that I just don't see as something he would like all that much. I see him to be too private and too quiet to think all that much about something like that. Just my two cents worth.

Well, given the fact that ones who planned the ocean plunge were his immediate family I think it is safe to think Heath might have liked it. I never met him but he seemed to be an outdoors kind of person. And growing up on the coast he probably loved the sea.   What Heath seemed to hate was the press's constant harrasment but that didn't mean he wasn't a social guy. Considering all accounts that have been written about him, it seems like he liked going out, skateboarding, surfing, bar hopping and meeting women. He even played playing chess with strangers on Washington Square Park (or so they say) so IMO that hardly makes him too quiet. He was quiet with the press. 

However, I think you might be right about with his relationship with Jake. They might have felt some strong connection while making BBM but then grew apart. Of course that doesn't mean Jake wouldn't be sad over his passing but could be an explanation for his behavior. I was surprised to learn that he didn't actually go to his funeral. Anyway, we don't really know what's going on with Jake, so it is best if we don't speculate at all.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2008, 02:01:53 pm »
As Natali said, we can't possibly know what's going on with Jake.  And honestly, it's not our right to know.  I know no one here is saying that it is - just thinking out loud.

Heath was extremely private.  Jake is known to be fairly private, too.  In any event, neither of them has ever owed us, the fans, an explanation for anything they do (or don't do).

I kind of think some folks are transferring some of Ennis and Jack's relationship onto Heath and Jake, and understandably - their portrayals were so honest and real, it's hard not to believe that they have a very similar relationship in real life.  I'm sure Jake cared very much about Heath, and for all we know, was still in frequent contact with him.  They worked very closely together for a significant period of time and forged a bond - I'm sure time and distance hasn't done much to sever that.  That said, just because Jake happened to costar as Heath's character's lover in a movie does not require him to make a statement.  Sienna Miller did that fairly recently, too.  Has she made a statement?  Christian Bale and Maggie Gyllenhaal have very recently costarred with him.  Have they made statements?  Is anyone upset that they haven't?  It's each person's choice, and I don't think it's fair to judge someone who worked closely with him and considered him a friend but has opted not to make a statement at this time unless we're judging all of them the same.

No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2008, 02:18:37 pm »
As Natali said, we can't possibly know what's going on with Jake.  And honestly, it's not our right to know.  I know no one here is saying that it is - just thinking out loud.

Heath was extremely private.  Jake is known to be fairly private, too.  In any event, neither of them has ever owed us, the fans, an explanation for anything they do (or don't do).

I kind of think some folks are transferring some of Ennis and Jack's relationship onto Heath and Jake, and understandably - their portrayals were so honest and real, it's hard not to believe that they have a very similar relationship in real life. 

That could be the case for some people. However, I think it is mostly because Jake is Matilda's godfather. In many cultures holding the godfather title means that the parents of the baby and the person selected to be godfather or godmother have a close relationship. I know now it is more symbolic, but still.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2008, 02:40:14 pm »
That could be the case for some people. However, I think it is mostly because Jake is Matilda's godfather. In many cultures holding the godfather title means that the parents of the baby and the person selected to be godfather or godmother have a close relationship. I know now it is more symbolic, but still.

Hey Bud,
Yes this is how I feel about it.  I wrote about this in the Jake, Jake, Jake thread last night.  The fact that Heath and Michelle selected Jake to be godfather and that Jake accepted that role (which is, at least symbollicaly, a lifetime role) indicates that there's a level of assumed closeness and friendship that goes beyond simple professional friendliness.  I mean, I would think Heath and Michelle would have considered that invitation carefully given that it's all about their daughter...  and that Jake would have accepted it with a level of seriousness and a certain commitment to an ongoing friendship.  Whether there are practical aspects to this role or not, at least to me it seems important.

And, really following the BBM activities and promotions, it's our strongest indication that the friendship between Heath/Michelle and Jake was/is deeper than a simple professional interaction.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2008, 02:58:38 pm »
Did we ever get a confirmation from Jake, Heath or Michelle that Jake was indeed Matilda's godfather? Or is it a rumor that has become truth in our minds?

I remember there was a quote by Jake, something along the lines: "Yes, we are like best friends now, I have even been asked to be Matilda's godfather."

That quote (if somebody has the exact one) has always seemed strange to me, something Jake wouldn't say, because he/they is/are so private.

:-\