Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72295 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2008, 03:25:54 pm »
Yes, we have confirmation, from Heath himself, in an interview with him, Michelle (and others?). I watched it a number of times back in the day, and still have the Youtube clip bookmarked, but it has since been removed.  :-\ Nevertheless, there's no doubt about it. Someone asked at some Brokeback promotional press thing whether Ang Lee was the godfather of Matilda, given the way Heath and Michelle met, and Heath (and Michellle) seemed caught off guard, and so answered, no - in fact, Jake was her Godfather.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »
Yes, we have confirmation, from Heath himself, in an interview with him, Michelle (and others?). I watched it a number of times back in the day, and still have the Youtube clip bookmarked, but it has since been removed.  :-\ Nevertheless, there's no doubt about it. Someone asked at some Brokeback promotional press thing whether Ang Lee was the godfather of Matilda, given the way Heath and Michelle met, and Heath (and Michellle) seemed caught off guard, and so answered, no - in fact, Jake was her Godfather.

That's cool Mikaela!  It would be neat to see that clip if it could be found again.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2008, 03:56:36 pm »
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that they were just friends. Not BFFs, no godfather thing, just friends. Even with that relationship, he probably would have made the trip to Perth for the funeral. Many others who simply knew him or had worked with him made the trip. People who didn't even know him made public statements. Jake... nothing.

Then think of what has always been said by and about both of them... they were best friends. Jake is Matilda's godfather. And then ask yourself why, taking that into account, he has not said a word and did not even attend his best friend's funeral. It ain't because he was busy. Like I said, mere acquaintances have done both of these things. Why not him?

Because people handle these things in different ways. Maybe Jake just couldn't bear the idea. Maybe he's still in the denial and depression phases. Maybe he's still internalizing the whole thing and hiding from the world because that's just how he deals. I think it's safe to say he's distraught because there's no other rational explanation for what would superficially appear as his complete disinterest in the whole thing. What's the likelihood--even if they were just plain old friends--that he just couldn't be bothered?

I remember when John Lennon was killed, some reporter asked Paul McCartney how he felt. "It's a drag, isn't it?" For years, I held that against him, thinking it was disrespectful, flippant and cold. God, this dude just doesn't care! What an a**hole!! Then one day it dawned on me what he was really saying to that reporter... "how do you THINK I feel, you friggin' moron? DUH. What a stupid question! Leave me alone, I'm mourning my lifelong friend. You're intruding on my private grief, and it's none of your business."

That's how I see it, anyway. Your mileage may vary.  :)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »
That's cool Mikaela!  It would be neat to see that clip if it could be found again.
Yes, it would. Especially since it wasn't a pap thing or anything - but a bona fide interview. I've been looking for it previously (months ago), but haven't found it again. (The original YouTube clip was entitled: Jake, the godfather to Heath and Michelles baby" ) and a search over there along those lines doesn't yield any results.

Perhaps I<3Jake might have it, I'm not a member there.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2008, 04:50:57 pm »
I remember when John Lennon was killed, some reporter asked Paul McCartney how he felt. "It's a drag, isn't it?" For years, I held that against him, thinking it was disrespectful, flippant and cold. God, this dude just doesn't care! What an a**hole!! Then one day it dawned on me what he was really saying to that reporter... "how do you THINK I feel, you friggin' moron? DUH. What a stupid question! Leave me alone, I'm mourning my lifelong friend. You're intruding on my private grief, and it's none of your business."
That's exactly how I see it. I think any question asked to Jake would be so unnecessary.. I said it in some other post. I fear the day he will have to reply to such questions. Some journalist are really no good. I like Jonathan Ross a lot for instance, but in Oct/Nov 07 Jake was on his show and Jonathan just couldn't NOT ask him about/mention BBM. .. You could see from Jake's expression that he was thinking 'not again'.. but he remained polite. I think in the end, BBM became a kind of 'burden'.. to him and Heath. Anyway, questions to him about Heath will be more then plenty at some point. I'm not looking forward to it.

It's like this article I read the other day about an interview of a husband who's wife had killed (in an awful way..) all of their 5 children one afternoon. .. about 9 months ago. And the journalist started the interview with 'how do you feel'..... ?!?! I mean, WTF!! I really try to avoid swearing on boards, but, come on! What a freaking question is that???? I am NOT looking forward to such questions asked to Jake.

IMHO he can keep silent for many many more weeks, months.. But then again, I think it will increase the pressure on him and he'll know that. ..

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2008, 08:32:33 pm »
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that they were just friends. Not BFFs, no godfather thing, just friends. Even with that relationship, he probably would have made the trip to Perth for the funeral. Many others who simply knew him or had worked with him made the trip. People who didn't even know him made public statements. Jake... nothing.

Then think of what has always been said by and about both of them... they were best friends. Jake is Matilda's godfather. And then ask yourself why, taking that into account, he has not said a word and did not even attend his best friend's funeral. It ain't because he was busy. Like I said, mere acquaintances have done both of these things. Why not him?

Because people handle these things in different ways. Maybe Jake just couldn't bear the idea. Maybe he's still in the denial and depression phases. Maybe he's still internalizing the whole thing and hiding from the world because that's just how he deals. I think it's safe to say he's distraught because there's no other rational explanation for what would superficially appear as his complete disinterest in the whole thing. What's the likelihood--even if they were just plain old friends--that he just couldn't be bothered?

That's how I see it, anyway. Your mileage may vary.  :)

Hey Verona!  This is a great post.  I definitely agree with you... I don't think Jake has been silent on this out of callousness or coldness.  I do think it's probably something much more profound.  Jake seems like such a warm person (based on interviews, etc.) that I've seen with him... and also based on the existing joint interviews and pics we do have that feature him with Heath, I can't imagine this isn't effecting him hard.  What you say really is striking to me though, that it's fallen to Daniel Day Lewis to make one of the most gracious eulogies so far and he didn't even know Heath.  And, of course even Michelle has now issued that lovely, heartbreaking statement.  The only explanation I can really understand with regards to Jake is that he's taking this hard (as some reports have indicated) and that he's trying to be very private about it (or perhaps not shift the spotlight away from Heath's family).   I think your analogy here with Paul McCartney is very good and perhaps even enlightening in this situation. 

The whole story about Jake pinning Heath's photo up on the set of his current movie (just prior to Heath's death) certainly indicates that Heath was still very much on Jake's mind despite the amount of time that's passed since BBM and the BBM promotional activities.

As time moves along here, I find myself more and more worried about Jake.  I don't mean to be intrusive on Jake's privacy or grief.  But, as a Brokie, I find myself thinking about him more and more these days.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2008, 08:41:17 pm »
According to Jake's fan site wetdarkandwild.blogspot.com they were filming Brothers last week until Sunday. He was supposedly spotted with other cast members having a drink on Thursday. I think with the help of work, family and friends Jake will be ok.

Offline brokeback-fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:53 pm »
People! I know how overzealous fans of any celebrity can get.  I am a huge fan of both BBM and of both Heath and Jake, but not in an obsessive kind of way.  How would you take it if your 28 year old brother, sister, son, daughter, cousin, nephew, niece..dies out of the blue.  I bet this is how Jake feels. 

Think about them in BBM for a second.  What you see on screen is acting, but acting comes from your soul and actors are affected by the roles they play as I am sure that Heath and Jake felt a deep love for each other in a way we would not understand because it is personal - between them.  They shared kisses, hugs, a gentle touch, love.  How can you not be affected by that?  So much so that Jake is Matilda’s godfather (yes, it is true.  I saw Heath actually say it). 

I do not mean to chide any of you.  I have seen many posts with y’all apologizing for hurting the other one’s feelings.  People! Don’t take life so seriously.  Think of Heath’s memorial.  Shout to the high heavens! Rejoice that we were blessed with such a beautiful person such as Heath.  And smile!

Someone wrote an interesting quote in tribute to Heath and it was spot on.  It is from my favorite scene in BBM:
A beautiful clear cold night by the river with the campfire blazing and the stars shining bright. 

Jack: “Is there anything interesting up there in Heaven?”

Ennis: “I was just sendin’ up a prayer of thanks.”

Jack: “Fer what?”

Ennis: “Fer you forgettin’ to bring that harmonica, enjoyin’ the peace and quiet!”

(Laughter follows)…

That is how I will remember Heath Ledger.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2008, 08:50:37 pm »

Hear hear.  He didnt do this against us.  It just happened.

Beautiful mind

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator