Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres  (Read 31039 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Brokeback Mountain back in theatres
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:24:51 am »
 :(

I've been waiting for so long to see BBM again in the theatre. I've always been hoping one of those little art house cinemas will show it again.
Now they do.  :(
Couldn't those *$&#* play it three weeks ago? Or anytime last year? They didn't even play it at the lesbian-gay film festival last year. But now it's not in one of the small art house cinemas, it's in one big multiplex cinema and in one 'normal', traditional theatre.

Yes, I'm angry. And I even don't know if it's right to be angry. It may be an attempt to exploit the situation. But it may as well be an honest tribute. And after all, a cinema is not a non-profit organization.

I just checked the website of the 'normal' theatre. The do have a tribute to Heath on their homepage, twice even. One time in the category "News", and one time on the site with the description of BBM.

From their news page:
"Dear visitor,
due to the unexpected and tragic passing of Heath Ledger we show again the poignant masterpiece of Ang Lee: Brokeback Mountain."

and from their BBM page:
"In remembrance of the unexpected and much too early deceased Heath Ledger we show the moving masterpiece of Taiwanese Ang Lee once again."

The latter pointed out in red letters.

Ok, the tributes on their site placated me.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:53 am »
Well Chrissi, over here, there's nothing in the theatres nearby. Not even on their website... :-\  >:(

It's like the world has put op a sign 'He's dead. Get over it.'  :(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:38 am »
Hm, well, Fabienne, I think you're probably better off than us people up here. Heath's been on the front page of the major paper (a tabloid), and he's been mentioned in news follow-ups both on TV and in most of the major papers, several times, and it's invariably been syndicated versions about "found naked" and "pills" and "battling addiciton" and development in those stories over the week, directly based on US media. To be fair they have also kept referring to one or more of the films he's known for,- usually it's Brokeback. Plus "I'm not there", which is currently in its ordinary run in theatres here.

I'd be of two minds about the theatres showing Brokeback, just like you Chrissi - but when all is said and done, if people who didn't know much about Heath before are curious and so get to know him and his work better through Ennis, that's a very good thing. So I think it's good they are given that possibility, - time so much more well spent than reading the latest on Heath in the papers!  ::) ::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:32:37 am »
I haven't seen any notices that they are playing it in theaters around here. Interesting thought--could I watch it in a theater again? I don't know. I don't think I've watched it all the way through since our Boston Brokie get together in Sept 2006.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:28:38 am »
Well after I replied to Chrissi's post, I asked myself whether I would go to see it in the cinema if it had been on screen here currently. I think I would...

So, then I thought, what am I waiting for? It's not in the cinema, but I have the dvd. So, I put in the dvd and watched it again, this afternoon. I had the afternoon off, so I was all by myself.

And now, I'm glad I did. To be honest, I was dreading it a bit. But it was ok. I really got into the story as soon as Ennis got off of that truck in Signal. I hadn't seen it since we've been to Alberta last summer, so it was special to see the places we'd visited. I felt peace and warmth at the Dozy Embrace scene, just like I did when I stood there in July.

I cried at scenes I didn't cry about before. Hearing Ennis say 'Well, I guess I'll see you around then, huh' and Jack say 'Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it' was very emotional. It was tough watching the Alma and Ennis scenes...

But it wasn't very different that watching it all the other times. It was certainly intens, but I felt an even greater sense of appreciation for what a true masterpiece this movie really is. Because, this movie and Heath's Ennis, that's 'how come me end up here'. I owe you Heath.

:)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:03 am »

I am sorry if anyone thinks it may be disrespectful for theaters to play our lovely
masterpiece.  But I am of an opinion, that if it in any way gets more people to the
theaters so that they too may appreciate it.  Then I am in favor.  Unfortunately as in
most things.  Time mellows peoples reactions to a new and different type of event.
I truly believe that the movie has changed so many minds about the gay or lesbian
subject matter, that it is not the shocking tale to many that it once was.  I further
believe that Heath and Jake might well get that deserved Award if it was played now.
I believe it has made that much of a difference.  It could truly be appreciated by more
folks now.  And when all is said and done isnt that the point.  I say let them sit in every town and hamlet.  Let them have it in ever place conceivable. So that others
who were too ignorant or too afraid to see it before, can do so..  I think that would be a
very fitting legacy to our dear Heath.  He would not only have made a worldwide change, but
that change would be ongoing.....

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:59:05 am »
But I am of an opinion, that if it in any way gets more people to the
theaters so that they too may appreciate it.

I'm with you, Janice. It's quite possible the profit motive is not totally absent from the theater owners' decision. But that's OK with me, because I think, or at least hope, that people probably ARE interested in seeing it, either for the first time or again, and that can't be anything but good. And the theater owners' are probably also sincerely motivated by people's genuine interest, too. They're giving the people what they think the people want. So it's win-win.

Of course, if the theater owners wanted to be REALLY good, they could donate the proceeds to some appropriate charitable cause ...  ::)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:05:29 pm »
I think a lot of the independant theaters barely scrape by, and if this can help them with their bottom line I can understand. Business is sadly business. The story told by the movie however is bigger than all of its parts, and anytime it can be shown, there is a chance it will have a life changing effect on someone. So with that greater good in mind, I am for it.

Rest in Peace, Heath.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 12:30:06 pm »
I think a lot of the independant theaters barely scrape by, and if this can help them with their bottom line I can understand. Business is sadly business.

Good point. I would go, and I would even buy popcorn and a Diet Coke ... if I thought I could bring myself to see it again ...  :-\

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »

I myself own two copies of the film.  I have seen it over 100 times.  But if they had it
here in a theater nearby.  I would gladly go and see it in a theater again.  Its a "love that never
grows old."

Beautiful mind