Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85256 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2008, 10:03:58 pm »
I'm pretty much on board with Verona and Snavel's and others' similar theories as to how poor Heath likely medicated himself to death.  It's pretty understandable and very reasonable and actually quite normal behavior for many people.  His family has said - and we don't have the reports of how much of each was actually in Heath's system - that the amounts of each pill were very little. 

I can't tell you how many people I know who take one over the counter med then a few minutes later feeling like it's not working - try another without letting the other med get out of their system first.  My sister-in-law routinely mixes alcohol and sedatives to relax on airplane flights when all the warnings on the meds tell you and tell you not to do something like that.

I can easily see Heath, being a young strong man thinking the same, it's prescribed, or it's OTC so it's OK.  He's frustrated at 4am with no sleep, so he takes another pill, later, gets up, feels his allergies coming on, so he takes an antihistimine, later, decides to take a nap, pops another pill, later still, maybe, gets so groggy he can't recall when he took what or how much and takes another...

Rumor has it Marilyn Monroe OD'd this way, she was too loopy to remember the pills she had already taken.

This could have easily happened to Heath.

However, as others have said, I'm not sure who would prescribe such strong painkillers as a sleep aid, when there are so many actual medicines for insomnia that work.  Had Heath been injured previously?  Maybe those were just leftovers from an earlier medical treatment and he recalled that they would knock you out, so he tried them.  No report has mentioned how old all these prescriptions were.

I assume we'll get more info on this as time goes on, maybe?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:08:29 am by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:25 pm »

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080207/ap_en_ce/heath_ledger

"...Kuhn said some of the drugs are long-lasting and Ledger could have taken them over a period of several days. The medical examiner's office wouldn't say what concentrations of each drug were found in Ledger's blood.

"What you're looking at here is the cumulative effects of these medications together," said the spokeswoman, Ellen Borakove.'

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2008, 10:22:44 pm »
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he wanted to believe, but there was nothing to be done about it, and if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it."

God bless you, Heath.

Amen.  :'( :( :'(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2008, 10:35:29 pm »
Experts said the combination of sedatives and the other medicines likely combined to suppress his brain function and his breathing.

That's what I figured. Your brain needs to tell your lungs to breathe... if you're numbing out those signals, and your respiratory system is also being suppressed...

:-\

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »
Australian ABC documentary ... study by a Sydney micro-cardiology research unit.

Just a thought, but there is a lot of assumption in the report that meds were the cause of Heath's death.
Are we jumping to a conclusion that is unfair to Heath?  Maybe the meds aggravated an underlying condition that was a time bomb, as the below report is about ?

It seems just too easy to follow the hype and think that Heath, who was bright enough to have achieved so much, would not have been careful. If he had been taking these meds for a while, wouldn't there be a good chance there were some earlier signs, and that he would ask his doctor about them when getting scrips ? We shouldn't for a moment think that he would be foolhardy, as some reports try to imply.  Anything to involve drugs and make the story sensational at Heath's expense ?
There seems to be a lot of such sensationalism. Great press fodder, but not necessarily true.

The following Australian ABC documentary, aired last night, is very interesting. It concerns a current study by a Sydney micro-cardiology research team of why so many seemingly healthy young Australian men (generally under 35) suffer various kinds of fatal heart attacks. The study has shown that they are surprisingly common, largely unexplained by autopsy, have been traced to certain inherited heart genes and are often seemingly brought on, or aggravated, by physical activity or stress. It has been called Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrom, similar to SIDS in babies, which has been shown to involve heart genes. (Incidentally, one of the young men mentioned in the report was named Heath ... that was a bit scary).

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s2156082.htm

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2008, 11:20:17 pm »
Watching "Nancy Grace".  She stated the DEA will investigate and make sure there was no criminal action around what happened to Heath.  Some of the doctors on her panel are in agreement with us here on how people don't intentionally 'abuse' prescription drugs.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2008, 11:48:25 pm »
I think most adults have several medical practitioners, don't they? Geez, my oral surgeon gave me Vicodin. My regular doctor had no idea, and I never gave it a second thought. Don't people get that? At that exact time, you would have found Vicodin, Effexor, antibiotics and my anti-seizure drugs in my medicine cabinet, prescribed by four different doctors, none of whom knew the other had prescribed the drugs. And there was absolutely nothing sinister going on... one was from my dentist, one from my oral surgeon, one from a neurologist, and one from my regular doctor. Happens all the time. Who knows how that would have looked if I'd died?

injest

« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2008, 12:04:59 am »
I have two different prescriptions of hydrocodone (different formulations) two anti seizure drugs, steriods, one with opium in it...

I am not an abuser....just too cheap to throw out stuff I paid for...

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2008, 12:09:18 am »
Keith Olbermann tonight also reported that a federal investigation is underway to determine how he ended up with so many prescriptions, and the NYPD will be involved to determine if a NYC doctor prescribed them, and exactly what pharmacy handed them over.  The first cheap shot on the latest developments comes from the always-deranged Glenn Beck:

"New developments on the Heath Ledger story today.  Apparently his cause of death was taking everything that was behind the pharmacy counter at Walgreens."
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2008, 12:12:36 am »
Keith Olbermann tonight also reported that a federal investigation is underway to determine how he ended up with so many prescriptions, and the NYPD will be involved to determine if a NYC doctor prescribed them, and exactly what pharmacy handed them over.  The first cheap shot on the latest developments comes from the always-deranged Glenn Beck:

"New developments on the Heath Ledger story today.  Apparently his cause of death was taking everything that was behind the pharmacy counter at Walgreens."
Three of them were from England.

As for Glenn Beck and the others, it's pure, unadulterated homophobia. They would NOT be reacting this way had Heath not been in BBM. Funny, they didn't treat Rush like this... and he WAS an addict buying drugs on the black market!