Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85501 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 12:10:48 pm »
The thought of that toxic cocktail of so many different drugs in his system all at once is just so upsetting to think about. 

I agree with Mel.  I feel angry at the drug industry, at irresponsible doctors, and just sort of angry at these circumstances in general. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

yb

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 12:12:08 pm »
I read this on another forum, Kim Ledger's statement:

We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child. Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them. Today's results put an end to speculation, but our son's beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.

While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.

Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year. Those recent precious days will stay with us forever. We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film. To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise. To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing. We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.

We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.

At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 12:12:34 pm »
So finally we know, it was an accident. What I don,t understand is, and forgive me for being dense, but HOW did all those combined drugs actually kill him? I mean did they cause him to have a heart attack, or just fall asleep and not wake up? Poor Heath.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 12:14:59 pm »
I for one am relieved

a) that they were able to determine a cause of death

b) that the cause of death was not heroin or cocaine overdose.  If only because the pain and scandal that would arise from it would be far greater than taking too many prescriptions.  Also, I may be wrong on this, if there was evidence of cocaine or heroin abuse, such as has been widely rumored about him, I think they would have found evidence of that as a contributing factor in his death.  But that is speculation on my part - I know little about heroin or cocaine abuse.

No, you are on the right track. I posted the same thing... the initial autopsy would have turned up evidence of chronic or even recent illegal drug use such as track marks and nasal damage. There also would have been telltale organ damage. PLUS any user of illegal drugs would not likely be found in a completely drug- and/or paraphernalia-free scene.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 12:16:08 pm »
"Our dear Michelle." I was so happy to read that.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 12:17:13 pm »
Reminds me of Anna Nicole..... :'(
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 12:19:03 pm »
I suspect that there were multiple doctors prescribing the medications, not just one. One of the early reports said that some of the prescriptions were filled in England, and others in the US.

Whether Heath was not forthcoming with medications he was receiving or the doctors mis-prescribed them we'll probably never know. Anyway you look at it, it's a tragedy.

Thanks, Leslie. I was thinking of that possibility, too, as I read down this thread.

Jesus H., that combination of meds was a recipe for disaster.  :'(

Poor guy. ...  :'(

I, too, wish they wouldn't combine the use of accident and abuse the way they do.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 12:20:47 pm »
My biggest worry through all of this was the concern that Heath might have been unhappy or depressed in the time leading up to his death.  Given the amount of prescribed drugs he had in his possession, I still worry about what led him to feel the need for them... again, I'm just purely worried that he might have been unhappy.

The family's statement that they recently had a nice, long visit with Heath is certainly reassuring in regards to this question.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 12:23:39 pm »
No matter which way you look at it: it's just too much stuff in his system.  :(

Poor Heath  :'(

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 12:25:13 pm »
I´m in shock again... poor Heath... ....