Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85568 times)

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
Re: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2008, 01:42:21 pm »
accidental overdose means that you take two instead of the one that is prescribed, or you take sleeping pills at the same time you take Nyquil, and the combination effect of these will kill you.  What seems to make the most sense is that Heath took a pain killer and a tranquilizer and did not get to sleep, and a few hours later tried a different combination, and then took the over the counter sleep medicine.  Some of those drugs stay in the bloodstream for two days or more.  Changing drugs before the first type has cleared the system can cause disaster.

Yes,yes,I understood what the phrase means by the meaning of the words... :)  but what I don't understand is that Heath could take more pills than advisable or prescribed by his own initiative,it was not his style...I don't know if this makes sense,sorry.But for me there's only two explanations:or he did it intentionally-I´m sorry,but for me it doesn't make him a worse person...-or the progressive accumulation of substances in his organism was what became "a clockwork bomb" in it...Don't hate me,please,but it's what I feel.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2008, 01:47:20 pm »
Yes,yes,I understood what the phrase means by the meaning of the words... :)  but what I don't understand is that Heath could take more pills than advisable or prescribed by his own initiative,it was not his style...I don't know if this makes sense,sorry.But for me there's only two explanations:or he did it intentionally-I´m sorry,but for me it doesn't make him a worse person...-or the progressive accumulation of substances in his organism was what became "a clockwork bomb" in it...Don't hate me,please,but it's what I feel.
from the report and his dad's statement, he did not take "more" of any one drug than was prescribed... he took a few different ones, at small doses, that just didn't mix well together. He most likely did not realize that each one was still in his system, because he did not "feel" them. He was also exhausted and sick, from all accounts.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2008, 01:47:28 pm »
or the progressive accumulation of substances in his organism was what became "a clockwork bomb"

I think it was what you say above. But that's me.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2008, 02:00:42 pm »
This is the first time I've ventured in to the Heath Grieving forum and I don't really feel ready to be here now, so I'm about to leave again.  I had an idea I shared via PM with Pete last night and maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I wonder if Heath could have had an undiagnosed condition like sleep apnea?

My logic is that he reportedly was having problems sleeping.  When you have sleep apnea, even if you do sleep, you never feel rested because you wake up throughout the night often without realizing it.  I don't believe sleep apnea can be diagnosed without spending the night in a sleep clinic nor identified via autopsy.

It does not ring true to me that even the long list of drugs in his system would have caused respiratory failure in a healthy person without there being an underlying condition.  All I have is anecdotal evidence - I have combined two of the drugs in his system (xanax and oxycodone) when I had my broken ankle and more than once I increased one or the other because I wasn't getting relief.  My mother takes prozac, ambien, xanax, and fentanyl in regular prescribed doses closely monitored.  She is a COPD patient and physically she is in awful shape.  Nonetheless, the TWO times she has had respiratory failure it was because of pneumonia/MRSA - i.e. a bacterial lung infection.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2008, 02:06:34 pm »
Lynne from what I understand Heath had problems sleeping because he suffered with insomnia.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2008, 02:15:30 pm »
This is the first time I've ventured in to the Heath Grieving forum and I don't really feel ready to be here now, so I'm about to leave again.  I had an idea I shared via PM with Pete last night and maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I wonder if Heath could have had an undiagnosed condition like sleep apnea?

My logic is that he reportedly was having problems sleeping.  When you have sleep apnea, even if you do sleep, you never feel rested because you wake up throughout the night often without realizing it.  I don't believe sleep apnea can be diagnosed without spending the night in a sleep clinic nor identified via autopsy.

What I heard was that Heath suffered with chronic insomnia not sleep apnea. I think it is a different thing, but like I said I'm no doctor so if anyone has better information please post it.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2008, 02:32:07 pm »
What I heard was that Heath suffered with chronic insomnia not sleep apnea. I think it is a different thing, but like I said I'm no doctor so if anyone has better information please post it.

Insomnia is where you can't sleep. Sleep apnea is where you stop breathing while you are asleep.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2008, 02:35:21 pm »
Sleep apnea is where you stop breathing while you are asleep.

And while sleep apnea does interfere with sound sleep, if you have it you don't realize that. You think you're sleeping OK, and just can't figure out why you're so tired in the daytime, as Lynne said. So a person with sleep apnea would be unlikely to reach for sleeping pills.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2008, 02:46:36 pm »
I understand the difference between insomnia and sleep apnea.  I'm just saying that the apnea could have been present unknowingly and been a contributing factor.  Wild speculation and grasping at straws as I said before...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2008, 02:52:50 pm »

Its really quite simple. Heath had a drug abuse problem. It matters not if the drugs are illeagle or perscriptions from many Dr's. An "accidental" over dose is just a nicer kinder way of putting it across to the public. I'm sure many of you have multiple bottles of pills in your home right? Would you knowingly take more than is perscribed on the bottles or do so without consulting your Dr. first?  You see many drug abusers will grab what ever they have at hand to try to get high no matter if its perscriptions or illegal drugs, glue whatever. Was he intending to kill himself most likely not, was he trying to get high? probably so, Was the death "accidental" as Heaths father states most likely yes. did they tell the whole truth most likely no because he knew what he was doing when he took the pills. So the term "accidental" is a big stretch for me in this case. I'm sure this is why Michelle Williams left him, she knew he had a drug/substance problem and didn't want the baby around or getting into all of his crap.