Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 84233 times)

moremojo

Re: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:10 am »
Wow, what an amazingly insightful post. Thank you so much Soluki... Welcome to Bettermost...
I concur...these are very wise words.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2008, 12:31:41 pm »
We all know and talk about Heath and mine the news for details because we care about him, and I, like the majority of folks here, care about him because he played a role in his career that captivated us - the role of Ennis del Mar.  There is no doubt that we are all disappointed in his death, in the main because we will not get to see him in any future roles once the films he made are produced and shown.  But also because we have come to care about Ennis, and we came to care about Heath.

And we all handle it a different way, but there are common threads of protectiveness, frustration, sadness, grief, and anger, and for some of us, and for some of the press, the anger takes precedence, but please let's take a step back and try not to step on each other's grief.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »
On my local news yesterday morning, when they did the "In the Papers" segment and held up the Post to show another article, and I saw that Andrea Peyser article in the corner. I put these things together in my head. NY Post. Andrea Peyser. Celebrity death. Those three factors, both alone and in tandem, said to me "IGNORE."

Which is exactly what I now intend to do here. If I wanted to read this kind of crap, I'd go back to the imdb board. Some people, like Ms. Peyser and her ilk, think cynicism about celebrities makes them look cool, smart and in-the-know, and the schadenfreude  they display over the death over a decent, talented young man is sickening. For any happy, well-adjusted person, there is no glee or satisfaction over another person's unhappiness/death. But for others, it's the only glee and satisfaction they know how to derive from life. It's how they can finally feel superior to someone they previously considered superior to themselves. "Hahaha, well Mr. Handsome, Famous, Talented Movie Star wasn't so perfect after all, was he? HAHAHA, gotcha!! Well at least I'm still alive, sucker! Now maybe you'll all see that I'm just as good as these celebrities... even better!! Pick me, not them!!"

Sad. Pathetic and sad.

Very well expressed, Verona, and dead-on accurate, I'd be willing to bet!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #273 on: February 08, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »
Yep.  Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down.  That's the vast majority of the media for you.  "It's interesting when people die - we need dirty laundry."  There was a song way ahead of its time (or maybe not - maybe just timeless).

The whole lot of them, with the exception of journalists like Keith Olbermann, Dan Abrams, and my God, even Joe Scarborough - who stand up and fight when what the rest of them do is hateful, self-serving, and WRONG - can go straight to Hell.  And contrary to their popular opinion, they won't be finding Heath there.

No more beans!

Offline Soluki

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2008, 01:15:53 pm »
By no means was I implying that the manner in which different people experience the same event is either wrong or right, good or bad.

Nothing is inherently anything.  People, things and any phenomena do not exist solely because they do.  There is only emptiness that is filled by causes and conditions both present and past, which if we take the time to view these phenomena in this whole way, then we realize that it is our own afflicted emotional response that causes us distress. 

To not view the event of Heath Ledger's death from a "whole picture" stance means that realism is lost and liberation from our afflictive emotions can never be gained.  Grief in and of itself is not bad or good.  As we grieve, we must ask ourselves what we are grieving for.  Acquisition of knowledge is not going to change our understanding of this  event.  It will only serve to support us in our misconceived views, and give credence to our afflicted emotional response.

The apprehension of inherent existence is the cause of all unhealthy views.  Afflictive emotions are not produced without this error.  Therefore, when emptiness is thoroughly known, unhealthy views and afflictive emotions are thoroughly purified.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 03:46:23 pm by Soluki »

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #275 on: February 08, 2008, 01:19:39 pm »
On my local news yesterday morning, when they did the "In the Papers" segment and held up the Post to show another article, and I saw that Andrea Peyser article in the corner. I put these things together in my head. NY Post. Andrea Peyser. Celebrity death. Those three factors, both alone and in tandem, said to me "IGNORE."

Which is exactly what I now intend to do here. If I wanted to read this kind of crap, I'd go back to the imdb board. Some people, like Ms. Peyser and her ilk, think cynicism about celebrities makes them look cool, smart and in-the-know, and the schadenfreude  they display over the death over a decent, talented young man is sickening. For any happy, well-adjusted person, there is no glee or satisfaction over another person's unhappiness/death. But for others, it's the only glee and satisfaction they know how to derive from life. It's how they can finally feel superior to someone they previously considered superior to themselves. "Hahaha, well Mr. Handsome, Famous, Talented Movie Star wasn't so perfect after all, was he? HAHAHA, gotcha!! Well at least I'm still alive, sucker! Now maybe you'll all see that I'm just as good as these celebrities... even better!! Pick me, not them!!"

Sad. Pathetic and sad.

I think this is totally true. And it is not only relative to entertainment celebrities...this 'kill the quarterback' mentality lives and breathes in all walks of life, particularly politics. We used to live in a society where we enjoyed seeing others succeed and felt pain when others failed. Even among people who were competitors, the notion of the 'loyal opposition' was in full swing and 'fair play' was the rule of the day. Now it's win at any cost...even at the cost of denegrading this man Heath Ledger whose positive aspects could fill the media pages and airwaves for a long time.

moremojo

« Reply #276 on: February 08, 2008, 01:20:13 pm »
Soluki, your views seem very Eastern, and they resonate with me. May I ask if you are writing from a Buddhist perspective?

Offline Soluki

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2008, 01:36:08 pm »
Yes I am Moremojo.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #278 on: February 08, 2008, 03:45:12 pm »
Well said, Chris, Bruce and Mika.

OK, Ross, so go ahead and hold him accountable. How exactly do you suggest doing this? Let's see, he's already dead -- what further penalties do you consider to be in order?

Ross, I'm not sure you're understanding what people are saying here. The point is that Heath is dead, it's tragic, he was young and talented and had a daughter and long life ahead of him. People are grieving, and whether or not we know -- or think we know -- exactly how it happened is beside the point.

The point im trying to make is lets not glamorize Heaths death.  Heath was a drug user hooked on drugs and THATS BAD! By clouding that issue for our own comfort and saying ooooh eee oohhh poor thing Accidentally took hand fulls of pills and died.  Instead of sugar coating this crap lets call it as it is and start saving other USERS from this same fate. Wake up People! Check out this link that has been posted here before it has a lot of truth to say.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/13543/1/THE-DEVIN039S-ADVOCATE-THE-DIRTY-DOUBLE-STANDARD/Page1.html

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2008, 03:53:14 pm »

I don't see, RossInIllinois, your point at trying to define and redefine "accidental" and confuse the point, leaving a cloud over Heath himself. "Nicer and kinder" than what? If a tree falls on your parked car, it's an accident; if you are driving your car and hit a tree because you answer you cell phone, it's still an accident.

I also don't understand the point about how people take medication. You may well be a perfect direction follower and can reach out to your doc in a moments notice if you have a question, but most people are not like this. Why do you think those little plastic boxes with days and numbers on them were invented? because most people forget when and how their meds are to be taken and lose track.

I fortunately have never been on anything other than aspirin for a headache here and there, but I have seen how meds work with people.

Even if Heath wasn't confused about when he last took the dose that should have lasted 8 hours or whatever and took them knowing they were over the prescribed amount, do you think it would have been the first time? you yourself call him an abuser; so he probably felt his body had a toleration it did not. That is not, imo, a reason to defame him, it's an honest and understandable mistake.

We all tend to suffer from a need for instant gratification. Got a headache, take a pill, and it should go away in 2 minutes. Can't sleep, take a pill, and cruise off to never never land in 2 minutes. When the medicinal aids do not give the instantaneous relief or desired effect, lots of people take more. I know many people who double the label instructions for tylenol or advil on a regular basis. Same with vitamins which is now becoming a bigger concern that they don't get flushed out harmlessly as once was believed.

even with dangerous pesticides. I know first hand that if a label instructions say one tablespoon per gallon of water, many, many people will double or triple it or more to 'make sure it works'.

so, I suspect Heath, having been accustomed to possibly over doing recreational booze and drugs thought nothing of taking an extra pill or two and thought nothing of combining the meds. I'll bet if he could speak out today he'd say something like "I would have never thought what I took would do me in". He desperately wanted to get rest and sleep; that's a pity. He was a good man and at worst, unwittingly made a serious mistake. I wouldn't label him with anything less.

Excellent Post!!! Thank You!!!