Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85505 times)

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »
Thanks, Leslie. I was thinking of that possibility, too, as I read down this thread.

Jesus H., that combination of meds was a recipe for disaster.  :'(

Poor guy. ...  :'(

I, too, wish they wouldn't combine the use of accidental and abuse the way they do.

there's the possibility of multiple doctors, but also the reality that doctors will often bend the rules (and suspend good judgment) for celebrity patients. But heck, even if I were to go to my doctor and say "doc, Vicodin did nothing for me... can I try something else?" he would most likely comply, naturally assuming I would stop taking the Vicodin. The combination of medications here screams of that scenario. "This one didn't work, that one didn't work... but maybe if I took them together..."

Heath, I swear...  :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:28 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:40 pm »
I feel angry at the drug industry, at irresponsible doctors, and just sort of angry at these circumstances in general. 

I honestly don't know what to say.  I'm furious, at who and why I don't know.  I'm all over the place right now.    

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 12:27:59 pm »
No matter which way you look at it: it's just too much stuff in his system.  :(

Poor Heath  :'(

EXACTLY. The longer you take them, the more you body starts to tolerate them/become immune. So you think they're not working and you take more. Because you don't feel what you're supposed to feel. But the amount of chemicals you're introducing into your body is still too much, even if you don't feel it anymore. He couldn't sleep, and they didn't work, so he took more. He just wanted to sleep.

THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 12:28:03 pm »

Oh God Leslie, seeing the words, Heath Ledger, and cause of death in the same sentence just breaks my heart.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 12:28:24 pm »
there's the possibility of multiple doctors, but also the reality that doctors will often bend the rules (and suspend good judgment) for celebrity patients. But heck, even if I were to go to my doctor and say "doc, Vicodin did nothing for me... can I try something else?" he would most likely comply, naturally assuming I would stop taking the Vicodin. The combination of medications here screams of that scenario. "This one didn't work, that one didn't work... but maybe if I took them together..."

Heath, I swear...  :'(

In other words--and this will not be popular on this thread at this time--Heath bears at least some responsibility for his own death.

I was thinking this. ...  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 12:29:34 pm »
Oh God Leslie, seeing the words, Heath Ledger, and cause of death in the same sentence just breaks my heart.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Once again, I'm with you, Souxi... the pain of seeing our Heath reduced to this stark document is overwhelming.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 12:30:27 pm »
So finally we know, it was an accident. What I don,t understand is, and forgive me for being dense, but HOW did all those combined drugs actually kill him? I mean did they cause him to have a heart attack, or just fall asleep and not wake up? Poor Heath.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I guess maybe the combination would bring on cardiac arrest?

Leslie?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 12:30:44 pm »

A close friend of mine died a few years ago of cancer.  During the latter stages, the district nurse would come in on a daily basis to administer painkillers.  He didn't have a home supply.  I honestly don't think my doctor would prescribe these under any circumstances.  

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 12:33:50 pm »
In other words--and this will not be popular on this thread at this time--Heath bears at least some responsibility for his own death.

I was thinking this. ...  :(
When you're exhausted, and you're ill, sometimes you'll try anything... and the fact that all the medications were prescribed gives a false sense of safety.

We don't know how much time elapsed between the ingestion of each drug. I wasn't suggesting he downed a handful of every drug all at once.