Author Topic: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??  (Read 41769 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But?? 

Religion is mentioned....

And, isn't the story about Easter??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

Re: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:50:54 am »
Why no Easter in the BM movie?

But it does in OTHER ways?

Hugs!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 03:46:37 am »
You're right, Artiste, that we don't really see Easter in BBM.  We get Thanksgiving instead.  A lot of folks smarter than me have provided ample evidence that Jack can be seen as a Christ-like figure, whose death was necessary, to give Ennis life.  In that sense, it makes a lot of sense that BBM is an Easter story  - one of sacrifice and resurrection.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:15:35 pm »
Thanks Lynne!

Wow, that makes sense what you say!

Wonder if we could think too in another way:
that Ennis is sacrificed so Jack can live??

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:33:20 pm »
I think it's important to note that both the holidays represented in BBM - the 4th of July and Thanksgiving- are nationalistic/specifically American holidays.  I think the decision to use patriotic-type holidays in the narrative may relate to the decision to make Jack and Ennis cowboys... in that one component of BBM has to do with re-confronting American myths and archetypes.

You're right, Artiste, that we don't really see Easter in BBM.  We get Thanksgiving instead.  A lot of folks smarter than me have provided ample evidence that Jack can be seen as a Christ-like figure, whose death was necessary, to give Ennis life.  In that sense, it makes a lot of sense that BBM is an Easter story  - one of sacrifice and resurrection.

I think this is very good Lynne.  BBM includes religious undertones in a pretty substantial way.  Maybe having religious holidays depicted would almost seem to be too much.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:38 pm »
Thanks atz!

Maybe having religious holidays depicted would almost seem to be too much.

To that, why?

Maybe because religions so far refuse gay men? Lesbians?

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:03:20 pm »
I just wonder if the filmmakers didn't want to become too heavy or heavy-handed with religious metaphors/subtexts/content.  It's an underlying element of the film, but probably not meant to be too much of a dominant/ surface subject or issue.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:25 pm »
I think it's important to note that both the holidays represented in BBM - the 4th of July and Thanksgiving- are nationalistic/specifically American holidays.  I think the decision to use patriotic-type holidays in the narrative may relate to the decision to make Jack and Ennis cowboys... in that one component of BBM has to do with re-confronting American myths and archetypes.

Good point. The religious references are a bit more subtle, such as Ennis asking Jack what the Pentecost is -- just hours before their own "Pentecostal fire".   8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:44:48 pm »
Yes, the religious themes are somewhat understated, but they seem to run through the film at various levels.  I'm not at all personally religious, but I think the deployment of certain religious metaphors is really very evocative and effectively done in BBM.

My favorite (maybe) is the three crosses that signal the beginning of the film.. they're of course, really electrical wire posts that appear to the left in the screen as the semi-truck carrying Ennis pulls up in Signal.

Also, as Lynne indicates, there's a long, complex argument to be made about the idea that Jack is a "Christ-like" figure.  He is always the one leading Ennis (physically and visually... he's in front of the flock of sheep and even as they walk to the bar at the beginning... Jack is leading Ennis).  Also, Jack does "walk on water" so to speak (a literalization of the song he sings)  when they're on the way up to Brokeback and need to cross the stream.  Jack is the one seen walking through the water.  Etc.  There's also the idea of Jack as a "sacrificial lamb" (the seeming connection between the sheep killed by "predator loss" on Brokeback equated to both Jack and Earl) that may be seen as playing into this metaphor too.  Further, at the end... the idea that Jack is capable of comforting or reaching out to Ennis even after Jack's dead (i.e. through Ennis finding the shirts) seems to extend this concept.

And, the fact that Ennis and Jack are shepherds (even though we usually use the more modern phrase sheep herders or ranch hands) is of course loaded with possible religious subtext.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:24:55 pm »
Thanks atz, thansks marge!!

Very interesting are your posts!

I remember religious images with persons and sheep. In the BM movie, of course there are persons (Jack and Ennis) with sheep!!

Remember when Jack carries one sheep over his shoulders??

More?

Hugs!!