Author Topic: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??  (Read 41766 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:52:29 am »
Maybe Easter is not that much a consideration in the BM movie, why?

Is it because it notes that our democratic countries are maybe becoming now islamic?

So that is a caution to us to keep it democratic?

Hugs!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:34 am »
My favorite (maybe) is the three crosses that signal the beginning of the film.. they're of course, really electrical wire posts that appear to the left in the screen as the semi-truck carrying Ennis pulls up in Signal.

I think it's a curse born of lit classes for me to look for religious symbolism in 'important' literature...brainwashed for 4 effin years. ::) ;)

Actually, I like the three crosses at the beginning of the film quite a lot, but they were one of the few symbols I did not recognize on my own...I think I read about them here first.  If they represent the crosses on Cavalry - the death of Christ before the Resurrection, then they are likely the closest symbol in the movie to an Easter symbol.

My favorite (maybe) religious symbol is the scales representing judgment.  (And I'm not adverse to repeating myself on this point  ::).)

We see scales in the background of Monroe's grocery store when Alma is considering the state of her marriage with Ennis dumping the girls on her at work because of calving.  Considered with her questioning Ennis for taking off work at a moment's notice for fishing, we can see her turning to Monroe.

More important are the scales in Alma and Monroe's kitchen when Alma confronts Ennis about Jack.  She has judged him and found him lacking as a husband and a father.

There's the nifty camera move (also discovered by someone else) when Jack appears to be weighing Ennis' excuses for postponing their trip - the infamous lake scene.

And the scales of judgment I like best are those in Mrs. Twist's kitchen.  The sparsely decorated house has a simple cross and in my opinion, Mrs. Twist is portrayed as a true Christian.  She embraces Ennis with complete understanding of his relationship with her son and offers him comfort and the gift of seeing Jack's room, where I believe she knows he'll find the symbol of Jack's love for him.

This has strayed a bit from the topic of Easter, but I think if you see it in the light of the Christian myth of Easter resurrection...how does the Apostle's Creed go (United Methodist version)?

"...the third day he rose from the dead;
    he ascended into heaven,
    and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
    from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead..."

And therefore I have brought myself back on topic.  :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:13:56 am »
Thanks Lynne... I think I have the same reaction to symbolism born of literature classes as you describe above.

I often forget the scales!  So, thanks for this explanation, they certainly seem very significant.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:18:12 am »
Maybe Easter is not that much a consideration in the BM movie, why?

Is it because it notes that our democratic countries are maybe becoming now islamic?

So that is a caution to us to keep it democratic?

Hugs!

You just don't miss a chance to play that islamic card do you Artiste? Shees!

It is because democratic countries are becoming secular, moving away from the need for organized religion.

Methinks you need a organized religion. Perhaps you should look into becoming a muslim, Artiste, you know, walk a kilometer in their shoes before criticizing???

Hugs!!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 12:09:02 pm »
Thanks Shakestheground!

I will reply to you first, and then to the others!! OK??

Shakestheground, you puzzle me by your post. Why?

I do not know why you act that way towards me. May I say that I do walk as you say since I have no choice!! Do you want some examples??

Awaiting your news,

hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:37 pm »
Thanks Lynne, and thanks atz!!

Boy, you sure describe brilliantly, may I say, your post!! I look forward to see those details, next times I will view the BM movie!!

To both of you and to others too: to me... Easter is there in the BM movie, but in many ways.

Other ways??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 12:13:22 am »
To both of you and to others too: to me... Easter is there in the BM movie, but in many ways.

Other ways??

To the 3 of you and to others too:  Easter is the BM movie in many ways??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »
I just wondered could this BM movie have been named simply:

Easter?

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:26:50 pm »
I just wondered could this BM movie have been named simply:

Easter?

Hugs!

No.

There is no resurrection in the story.

Personally I buy very few of the religious metaphors in BBM.  Proulx chose sheep - most importantly not because of any religious implication, but because the story is supposed to be about cowboy wannabes and nothing is lower to a cattleman than sheep and sheepherding.

I don't buy the 3 crosses thing at the beginning of the movie either.  Cross-hatching/cross beam - I forget the exact term - is a very common architectural structure.  The basic design of all telephone poles.  They couldn't show a telephone pole without the cross-hatching being on display.  It doesn't imply a cross or religion every single time, sometimes, there's just a telephone pole in the shot.

You find scales in a grocery store.  It's just a prop used to make the grocery store scene more convincing.  As for the Scales of Justice, Justice is a pagan god, not a Christian one, so IMO that doesn't really fit even if that is what BBM was aiming for.

Any religious implications I got were non-existent, neutral or negative - a "fire and brimstone crowd" that Ennis wanted to avoid at any cost, and Jack's complete lack of any knowledge of his mother's devout faith other than a song he can sing.

Yes, Jack carried a sheep.  He also kicked one in the ass, neglects them and offered to shoot and eat one. 

Not a very good shepherd religiously speaking or othewise.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 12:06:15 am »
Thanks dellalluvia!

1-
There is no resurrection in the story.

On the other hand, some viewers think that it is that or likewise. I do think that Jack is STILL alive and some other(s) did or do too... like I am thinking!!

2-
Personally I buy very few of the religious metaphors in BBM.
So there are some, MORE evbident ones?

3-
Proulx chose sheep -

Did she say WHY?

4-
Proulx chose sheep - most importantly not because of any religious implication, but because the story is supposed to be about cowboy wannabes and nothing is lower to a cattleman than sheep and sheepherding.

Who says NOT because of religious implications? It could NOT be her, since she mentions: religions, may I suggest!! Why does she quotes religions??

5-
      but because the story is supposed to be about cowboy wannabes and nothing is lower to a cattleman than sheep and sheepherding.

To that, who considers that as that? It is the culture of the area?? Of the cowboys? Their prejudices?

6-
but because the story is supposed to be about cowboy wannabes and nothing is lower to a cattleman than sheep and sheepherding.

To that, if we consider gay men below that of the straight men in USA culture, then us (since I am a gay man) is like that to the eyes of some or many OTHER Americans!! ?? Therefore, Annie guides us readers/viewers right away to DRAMA!! Something is NOT right in such society... tension, non-acceptance, etc., which will lead maybe to death... as to likely or maybe murdered because a gay man is different!!.... to a straight ??

Your other parts, I will note later if you like... and for now, I await your reply and that of others to guide me,

hugs!!