Author Topic: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??  (Read 41789 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2009, 06:35:25 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger!

I wish I had you to observe, see my paintings!
Indeed, you are very observant!
You should work for Lee!! ??

Since you say about the child who said:
     "Mama, I need crayons."           
Maybe that is where seriouscrayons
did think to create her nom-de-plume?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2009, 05:36:26 pm »
Front-Ranger, since you say:
       As long as we all keep in mind the fact that the Easter story predates Christianity by probably a thousand years or so!         

May I ask what is the difference between then and now?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2009, 02:31:10 pm »
Annie points out (almost going out of her way to do so) that the sounds and smells of his children remind Ennis of "fecundity and life's continuance" — which is what Easter and related pagan spring rituals are all about.

It's also interesting that Jack and Ennis, as herders and ranch hands, are in the business of fecundity and life's continuance since they care for generations of animals, ensuring their wellbeing and fertility (animal husbandry) — as in the grocery scene where Ennis must go attend to "all the heifers calving at once".

Offline Artiste

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2009, 11:05:07 pm »
Merci LauraGigs !

Your post is interesting!

More?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2009, 10:11:56 am »
Another scene which reminds me of Easter is the very end of the movie, where Ennis departs from the scene, but his view, the open window, remains, with the blue sky, the tan road, and in between them, the green green barley growing. It is a scene full of hope, which is surprising since Ennis has "lost" everything. He has no hope, not enough furniture, his lover is dead, he's divorced, he's just renounced a job in the Tetons, and his first-born child is about to leave him to go out and get married. Yet there is hope, because of the promise of Nature and life. There is hope for the future, and for future generations, and for us.

In between the closet and the window is a blue light reflecting the sky outside. Is it the spirit of Jack, a symbol, or an optical illusion? As usual, Ang Lee does not say, does not impress the sight upon us. It's just there, for us to take or leave according to our needs and desires.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:30 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger !

Since you say:
     Easter is the very end of the movie, where Ennis departs from the scene, but his view, the open window, remains, with the blue sky, the tan road, and in between them, the green green barley growing. It is a scene full of hope, which is surprising since Ennis has "lost" everything. He has no hope, not enough furniture, his lover is dead, he's divorced, he's just renounced a job in the Tetons, and his first-born child is about to leave him to go out and get married. Yet there is hope, because of the promise of Nature and life. There is hope for the future, and for future generations, and for us.

Are you saying that is too the result of Easter?
Hope and presence of life go together??[/
b]

Au revoir,
hugs! Happy Holy Tuesday!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »
Resurrecting this old thread in time for Holy Week.

The minister told us about the sixth miracle of Jesus last Sunday and I had to laugh... He gave sight to a blind man. He spit onto the ground and made mud with the saliva and earth. He placed the mud on the man's eyelids, told him to go wash in the pond. And when the man did so, he could see.

Since it was Palm Sunday, we also discussed Jesus' entry into Jerusalem on the colt of a donkey. An unbroken colt. Yup, Jesus was a cowboy, all right!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »
One of my fav pics.  But I'm not sure how Jack as a bull rider is anywhere near equivalent to Jesus riding on a donkey (If a "colt' was 'unbroken', Jesus wouldn't have been riding it).

Sure enough, Della. But Jesus commanded his disciples to go into the town and find a donkey that had an unbroken colt beside it, and bring the colt back to him. If anyone asked, they were to say that "The Lord has need of it." By riding into Jerusalem on the unbroken colt, Jesus was fulfilling one of the many prophecies about him that were made by the Old Testament prophets. It may have been Zachariah.