Author Topic: TOTW 09/08: Were Ennis and Jack particularly bad fathers?  (Read 21290 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 09/08: Were Ennis and Jack particularly bad fathers?
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2008, 09:49:55 am »
Yes, I still think Ennis was a good father.  He was certainly flawed too.  But, in a nutshell, I think he was a good father or at least much better than some.  And, again, back to the comparison with his own Dad and OMT, Ennis was a very good dad in comparison in my opinion.

Being providing money and being in love with a child's mother (or not) are not the only measures of a good father.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
Re: TOTW 09/08: Were Ennis and Jack particularly bad fathers?
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:22 am »
Yes, I still think Ennis was a good father.  He was certainly flawed too.  But, in a nutshell, I think he was a good father or at least much better than some.  And, again, back to the comparison with his own Dad and OMT, Ennis was a very good dad in comparison in my opinion.

Being providing money and being in love with a child's mother (or not) are not the only measures of a good father.
I agree with you,atz75.Ennis,and to some extent Jack,could perfectly have the image of their own fathers to mirror them-what is very common...-They easily could have repeated the same patterns as a fathers that they suffered as a sons.And,in exchange,they were worried about their studies and comfort in general and,in Ennis case,nobody can discuss his great love for his daughters.That's much more than both of them could say as a sons...
They had mistakes and faults-what made them more humans and easily identified with ordinary people-that come from their own strange situation and that,unfortunately,made their children other victims in a secundary place,that's true.When a couple doesn't work,their children also pay the consequences to a greater or lesser extent,no matter how easy want their parents make their living way...But,as you say,being or not in love with the child's mother is not what measures if a man is a good father or not-in any case,he would be not a good husband-.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:33:21 pm by myprivatejack »
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.