Author Topic: Why did Annie/Brokeback Mountain movie used men abused as children, why why why?  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Why did Annie/Brokeback Mountain movie used men abused as children, why why why? 

Offline Artiste

Why did Annie/Brokeback Mountain movie used men abused as children, why why why? 

Post as you please !!

Offline Artiste

This puzzles me !!

Maybe it does to you too?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS

1)who are you talking about? the characters Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist?

I don't think that either were "abused" as children.

Ennis' parents were killed in an truck accident, and his siblings raised him mostly. He was a victim of poverty, but I'm not sure how that can be thought of a deliberate abuse.

Jack was raised in a two parent household. His father was gruff and crude and enforced his lessons harshly, but abusive? I think that is debateable.
Is it abuse that his parents did not force him to finish high school? That comes closest in my mind to abuse, but I suspect that it was Jacks' decision to drop out.

2) are you talking about the Lureen and Alma characters?

I can't see how either were abused, in fact Lureen was probably spoiled as a child.

On the other hand, I have always wondered, with no real evidence, if Lureen was a victim of incest. Could Bobby be L.D.s child?

Now that would be bona fide abuse!   

3) are you talking about Ennis's two girls or Bobby Twist?

the girls seem to be treated well. now was Bobby abused?

Lureen seemed to neglect getting a tutor for his dyslexic reading problem, was that abuse? maybe

Offline Artiste

Merci beaucoup brokeplex!!

Your post reveals much. You are brilliant!!

A- I am very happily surprised to think that Lureen was possibly a victim of incest !! In the past, I did think that,
but I did NOT dare mention it before, because many were displeased that I thought that she was lesbian  !! ??

So, maybe that could be like a proof ??

B- It just now brings me to mind (to my surprise) that Jack was so sexually abused too... as maybe incest ??

C- Am also surprised that you think differently about abuse !! Maybe that or those concepts vary/ are varied ??

Au revoir,
hugs!  You merit more than one trumpet for your great[/b] post!! Good start !! Pray you'll add many too !!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Merci beaucoup brokeplex!!

Your post reveals much. You are brilliant!!

A- I am very happily surprised to think that Lureen was possibly a victim of incest !! In the past, I did think that,
but I did NOT dare mention it before, because many were displeased that I thought that she was lesbian  !! ??

So, maybe that could be like a proof ??

B- It just now brings me to mind (to my surprise) that Jack was so sexually abused too... as maybe incest ??

C- Am also surprised that you think differently about abuse !! Maybe that or those concepts vary/ are varied ??

Au revoir,
hugs!  You merit more than one trumpet for your great[/b] post!! Good start !! Pray you'll add many too !!

a) I have no real evidence as to the Lureen incest, just some suggestive elements in the film. As you know, I do not think that Bobby is Jack's child.And I think that marriage was one of convenience and a certain fondness that developed over time and then faded away over time.

b) Jack as a victim of sexual abuse? I don't really see even the suggestion of sexual abuse.

OMT was not a supportive father, he was very short on praise. Why?

I have to consider that if the Jack that we saw on the mountain is the same Jack who worked his fathers ranch, then OMT was probably justified in being harsh with Jack while he was working on family ranch, just as Aguirre was later on. Jack was kind of lazy and unlike Ennis he really wasn't cut out for ranch work.

Offline Artiste

Merci brokeplex!

Now, you are making me pensive... much more and that's good !!

1- I agree with you that Bobby is likely not Lureen's child !! I always thought that and still think so, much especially if she is lesbian (not to be negative against lesbians now); and if she was abuse in an incest way, than that is a gray light, making her sad !! And her actions are therefore coloured to somehow revenge is that it: her towards the incest abuser ??

2- I am starting to see Jack as a victim of sexual abuse !! Yes! Think about it ??

Later as I must check to see which movie is coming up (with toi 4 cheeked in it maybe) ?

Waiting for your news,
hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Merci brokeplex!

Now, you are making me pensive... much more and that's good !!

1- I agree with you that Bobby is likely not Lureen's child !! I always thought that and still think so, much especially if she is lesbian (not to be negative against lesbians now); and if she was abuse in an incest way, than that is a gray light, making her sad !! And her actions are therefore coloured to somehow revenge is that it: her towards the incest abuser ??

2- I am starting to see Jack as a victim of sexual abuse !! Yes! Think about it ??

Later as I must check to see which movie is coming up (with toi 4 cheeked in it maybe) ?

Waiting for your news,
hugs!!

maybe you should separate that issues of

1) Lureen as a lesbian, and

2) Bobby as not Jack's child

I think there is no evidence that Lureen was a lesbian, but there is some evidence that Bobby was not Jack's child and there is a suggestion that LD is the father of Bobby.

Where is the evidence of Jack as a sexually abused boy? You aren't talking about the OMT pissing incident are you? I hope not, that is so overwrought!

OMT used a crude method of teaching little Jack a lesson in hygiene, but to call it sexual abuse is stretching it way past the snapping point!  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

Merci brokeplex!

Since you are asking me for evidence, you are asked to hand some too please:
1- Where is the suggestion that LD is the father of Bobby ?? (Who is LD again?)

2- Someone wrote to me that children want to help the parent who abused them ! So maybe that is a clue that Jack had been abused ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Merci brokeplex!

Since you are asking me for evidence, you are asked to hand some too please:
1- Where is the suggestion that LD is the father of Bobby ?? (Who is LD again?)

2- Someone wrote to me that children want to help the parent who abused them ! So maybe that is a clue that Jack had been abused ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

LD Newsome is the father of Lureen Newsome the wife of Jack Twist. Hello!!! Artiste!!! Earth calling!!!

The suggestion that Lureen is the victim of incest and that LD is the father of Bobby makes sense only if you first accept that Jack is not the father of Bobby.

(see timeline problems of Lureens pregnancy and her first meeting Jack, Jack just can't be the boys father, can't fight the math - it is on another thread)

Look at the film and notice that LD takes possesion of the baby in the nursery scene and says that he is the spittin' image of his "grandpa", well if grandpa is the father then that is certainly true.

The whole issue of a marriage of convenience between Lureen and Jack makes more sense if LD is the father, because Jack is expendable in both LD's and Lureens eyes, it also explains some of LD's hostility. And it explains the payoff that Jack says to Ennis that LD is willing to make just to get rid of Jack. Jack is an inconvenient reminder to LD of his transgressions.