Author Topic: An Accurate Time Line of BBM - Let's Figure It Out Together!!  (Read 20803 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: An Accurate Time Line of BBM - Let's Figure It Out Together!!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 07:26:22 pm »

Hey Friend!

Thanks for posting that timeline!  It's so fascinating to see how different people have interpreted different events and the different clues people use to construct the timelines.

Your argument for the meeting between Jack & Ennis being May is definitely interesting.  I've not heard that suggestion before. 

I personally am still more convinced by the June scenario.  My feeling is that early May on Brokeback would look a lot more wintery... It seems to me that there would be many more indications of snow and traces of winter in such a location.  And, in talking about the concept of the "summer of 63", early May just seems too early to me. The more specific reason that June makes more sense to me is the reference to the Thresher in the short story. My impression is that the conversation between J & E that involved the Thresher took place relatively early in their acquaintance.  And, it's specifically says the "Thresher lost two months earlier... "  And, it's known that the Thresher sank on April 10, 1963.  But, an interpretation of the timeline of Jack and Ennis's friendhip based on that date is contingent on how far into their friendship one believes that discussion took place.  At least we know it was prior to TS1.

I'm also still enamored of the symmetry between June 5, 1963 (the meeting between Jack and Ennis) and Junior's wedding date (June 5).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 12:15:23 pm »
Hi atz 75,
   Thanks for your comments. My timeline, by the way, is for the movie alone in which the sinking of the Thresher is not mentioned. Indeed, it may be significant that Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, in adapting the short story, choose not to include that detail, making way, thereby, for the longer timetable for the summer of '63. But, as I say in footnote 1, the shorter timetable is perfectly workable.
    As for the likely weather conditions in Wyoming in the mountains in May - for that, I'd have to check with somebdy else. I have almost all the Call Sheets for the movie and can tell you that the early mountain scenes were shot on 21-23, June. But this, of course, is in Alberta which is considerably North of Wyoming.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »
Hi DE,
  I've sent you a PM on this one.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 05:00:14 pm »
I have just reread Jack's first postcard to Ennis and see that, in the timeline I posted a few days back, there's a mistake in the dating of their reunion. So, under 1967, it should read:

Sept. 24. Jack and Ennis reunite in Riverton.

Sept.25-? Wyoming campsite.

So please amend. Sorry about that.

Offline mouk

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 02:42:36 pm »
The divorce is on 6 November and (I think?) the Deceased card indicates that Ennis wanted to meet Jack on 7 November.

This can't be no coincidence - could it mean that Ennis is trying to reverse the clock, have a new beginning with Jack the day after the divorce (be it some 7 years later...)??

At the very least this looks like a pair of bookends

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:51 pm »
Bump

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 09:18:10 am »
I remember To/oP Bruce did a huge analysis of this over on IMDB years ago.  I wonder if this can be found here on BM somewhere?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 11:19:28 am »
He posted about 200 threads in IMDB Remarkable Writings Rewound but I didn't find it there, can you?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 06:32:55 am »
Well, I've sat here spending an hour looking for it, Lee, to no avail.  It's gotta be there somewhere.  Several people, including me when I was a BM newbie, chimed in, and we had a good debate, and it ended up being a beautiful document that could stand up to any scrutiny.  We were quite proud of it, I recall.

Maybe To/oP will do us a favor and chime in here.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »
I'll send him a PM.
"chewing gum and duct tape"