Author Topic: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer  (Read 44039 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:49:42 pm »
2  There are places we can't return

To me, this has several possible meanings:

1 - The literal (BBM)
2 - The place of innocence, where Ennis was before he learned the truth about himself
3 - The place of idealistic first love
4 - The lives Jack and Ennis led before their time on BBM

I agree with Amanda. There are even more meanings. We all passed through a gay period in our lives, it's a natural part of growing up.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 04:25:05 am »
As English isn't my first language and I am not good with words even in my own language  I hope I'll be able to express what I feel.
The There are places we can't return to me it means the time up on Brockback was a time when they still had a future ahead of them, and above all they had the freedom to choose what to do with their own lives. Yes, the world was hostile towards their love (even if Ennis at the time didn't acknowledge it as such) but they had the freedom to make decisions, to take a different path if they wanted to. They were no wives (Alma was only a girlfriend, she and Ennis hadn't even slept together yet), no children, Ennis in particular didn't  have a family to report /to justify to, his father wasn't there  to frighten/threaten him any longer,  They had a chance, in my opinion a very big one too, and they missed it.
Brokeback wasn't just a place when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong and of imagined power, the power was actually there, had they been able to see it and grasp it.  Of course they did they best they could given the circumstances and with the knowledge they had at the time.   Later came the commitments, wives, children, and they could no longer return to that place of power. 
IMHO that's why Brokeback  is a place they can't return to.

Yes, I think  the 4 lines in the trailer encapsulate the movie pretty well.

I'm just popping in to say this is an awesome topic for a TOTW!  I'll weigh in tomorrow after I watch the trailer again (to refresh my memory).  I can't watch  YouTube at home because I'm on dial-up, so I'll sneak a look while I'm at work.

Also, was there more than one trailer?  Why do I feel like there were at least two?
I saw the Italian trailer on a DVD which I had the big pleasure to buy as a present for a friend, it features one of the deleted scenes, it's  a very sexy, bare chested Jack standing on a bridge. I am unable to watch the trailer here as my Internet connection is too slow.
BbM, I swear

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 04:42:38 am »
P.S. to my earlier post:

Prior to watching  BbM I hadn't watched the trailer, all I knew was that it was a love story between two men.
The consequence was that I watched it  'unguarded', the result was like an astonishingly  powerful wave  had entered my soul.
Sorry,  hope I haven't gone off topic ...
BbM, I swear

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 08:26:53 am »
2  There are places we can't return

To me, this has several possible meanings:

1 - The literal (BBM)
2 - The place of innocence, where Ennis was before he learned the truth about himself
3 - The place of idealistic first love
4 - The lives Jack and Ennis led before their time on BBM
I think you are right on all acounts.
Many of these apply to me after seeing the film.
I can't watch the movie anymore. Just seeing the trailer causes a physically painful reaction. My chest tightens up, my heart beat increases.
I feel short of breath. Actually watching the movie I cry from begining to end. AFterwards I am so depressed for a long time. So, I can't go back to BBM either.
Number 2 and number 4 apply to me. After seeing the movie and  coming to terms with what I am and what I had to do, my life was changed forever.
It is such a powerful movie for some of us.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

injest

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:29 am »
I think you are right on all acounts.
Many of these apply to me after seeing the film.
I can't watch the movie anymore. Just seeing the trailer causes a physically painful reaction. My chest tightens up, my heart beat increases.
I feel short of breath. Actually watching the movie I cry from begining to end. AFterwards I am so depressed for a long time. So, I can't go back to BBM either.
Number 2 and number 4 apply to me. After seeing the movie and  coming to terms with what I am and what I had to do, my life was changed forever.
It is such a powerful movie for some of us.

this is a stage a lot of people went thru when they FIRST saw the film, Rich....you had so much going on in your life that you couldn't really go there...

I know it is hard but truthfully the depression you feel is actually a little bit positive...it means (IMO) that you are in a place you feel safe enough to let yourself 'feel' it. You know on a subconcsious level that you DO have friends you can call. Just give yourself time and it WILL get better...

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 09:18:13 am »
I agree with sel on the meaning of "there are places we can't return,"

When Jack and Ennis were on Brokeback, they had no other entanglements or involvements.  It was like they were invisible in the world and the only thing that mattered was the two of them.

At the reunion that was all changed, they had wives and children and the responsibility to make a living to survive.  There was no way to return to that simpler, happier time.

I think their trips were an attempt to recreate that carefree feeling, but of course, they always brought all of their current baggage with them.  So that was impossible too.

I think it can also refer to other characters as well.  Alma can never go back to before she saw Ennis and Jack kiss.  Cassie can never go back to the time when Ennis pretended to himself to be in love with her. 

Life gives us only one choice -  go forward. 

As much as we might want time to stop, it won't.  As much as we might want to go back, we can't.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 09:31:09 am »
As much as we might want to go back, we can't.
Very Good point.
This reminds me of a line in a song I once heard.
It's called "Has Anybody Seen Amy"
The line says : "You can always go home but you can never go back"
It is so true....
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 09:59:01 am »
Very Good point.
It is so true....

Rich, I'm hopin it won't be too long before you find yourself in one of those situations where you wish time would stop, and it would just stay like this.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 10:26:58 am »
Rich, I'm hopin it won't be too long before you find yourself in one of those situations where you wish time would stop, and it would just stay like this.

Thanks Clyde. Me too!
I have had a one.
When I went to San Fransisco last year I wish It could have stayed that way.
Everything was new and exciting. I met my Brokie friends in person for the first time and I fell in love with the most wonderful beautiful man I had ever seen.
I wanted it to be just like that always. I feel like that everytime I am with my daughter too.
I know each day that passes she is growing more and taking another step toward adulthood and away from me.
So especially where she is concerned I feel that way!
But alas, reality steals our joy and our happiness sometimes and shows us that nothing is forever.
only bittersweet memories..

Offline optom3

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
Very Good point.
It is so true....

That is such a clever line,you can always go home but you can never go back.

Even at it's most basic level, leaving the parental home,you can go home again, but it is never the same as it was before you left.In many cases you go home as an adult and parent yourself.
I am going to pinch that phrase from you, and have it as my TOTW.
If it is any consollation, I still sob at even the music never mind the film.I really thought I had moved on and away from my impossible love,across the Atlantic actually.In truth I had not.
I have now sort of reached a stage where I am nearly cried out,following a full blown depressive episode,and in a country not my own.I know it sounds crazy,but if you allow yourself to feel the emotions and really let them out,it can be healing.

BBM allowed or almost forced me to do that.At first I tried to contain what I was feeling, then I just gave up.
I really hope you find some peace,and I do truly believe grieving is healing,even if it does not seem so at the time.
If you do not grieve for whatever,situation,person,impossible love,lost dreams a whole host of things,you can never be free to move on.
I even grieve for my oldest son, because he will never be the child he should have been.
Nearly his whole life since 5 has been psychiatrists and different meds.
So watch BBM again and sob your heart out,for days if necessary.

Because though it may be true that we can never go back, we can if strong enough move forward.I hope you get strength and peace.