Author Topic: Your Funeral  (Read 15726 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Your Funeral
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 11:50:58 pm »
That sounds like a beautiful funeral Kerry. I like the words to the poem too. The whole thing seems very beautiful and peaceful to me.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 11:59:33 pm »
That must have been such a terribly sad day for you, David.

:-*  {{{ David }}}   :-*

I had my 41st birthday, about a week before my Mum died. She had been in extreme pain and was highly medicated on morphine for the last couple of weeks of her life. I was Mum's youngest son and we were always very close. Mum and Dad had always made a fuss of me on my birthday. I remember sitting beside Mum's bed, holding her hand and saying, "It's my birthday today, Mum." She just looked at me blankly, her morphine-doped eyes gazing into mine, as if to say "Who are you?"

Oh God Kerry, I had a similar experience. Mom was staying at home up until about three weeks before she died. The day we took her to the hospital for the final time, I came over to cook some lunch for her. Dad wanted to play golf. I remember what she had for lunch too. She said she wasn't hungry but I wanted her to eat something so I heated up a slice of pizza and a fish stick. When I checked on her later on she was nearly unresponsive. Dad had just arrived back home and we called the doctor and he told us to get her to the hospital. We sat her up in bed, she had wet herself and as I was dressing her she kept looking up at me with a very confused look on her face, one of those "Who are you?" looks. She was very frightened and confused but she never said anything. She just kept looking up at me with that confused look on her face. I'll never forget it. A few days later at the hospital she appeared to be getting a little better but she had leukemia so we knew it really wasn't true. But she was talking with us again and fairly alert. I had a really nice visit with her a couple of days before she died. She thought she was in a hotel, and she thought the hallway was a street. The next day she dropped into a coma and she died the following day. :'(

She died on September 22 2003 at 10:35 in the morning, and the funeral was held on September 25, 2003 at 10:30 am. This will be the 5th anniversary of her death. :(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 12:16:00 am »
You know where to come David if you need a hug........{{david}}
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:32 am »
Oh God Kerry, I had a similar experience. Mom was staying at home up until about three weeks before she died. The day we took her to the hospital for the final time, I came over to cook some lunch for her. Dad wanted to play golf. I remember what she had for lunch too. She said she wasn't hungry but I wanted her to eat something so I heated up a slice of pizza and a fish stick. When I checked on her later on she was nearly unresponsive. Dad had just arrived back home and we called the doctor and he told us to get her to the hospital. We sat her up in bed, she had wet herself and as I was dressing her she kept looking up at me with a very confused look on her face, one of those "Who are you?" looks. She was very frightened and confused but she never said anything. She just kept looking up at me with that confused look on her face. I'll never forget it. A few days later at the hospital she appeared to be getting a little better but she had leukemia so we knew it really wasn't true. But she was talking with us again and fairly alert. I had a really nice visit with her a couple of days before she died. She thought she was in a hotel, and she thought the hallway was a street. The next day she dropped into a coma and she died the following day. :'(

She died on September 22 2003 at 10:35 in the morning, and the funeral was held on September 25, 2003 at 10:30 am. This will be the 5th anniversary of her death. :(

My thoughts and loving support will be especially with you on the 22nd, my dear friend.   :-*   :-*
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 09:34:08 am »
I do like the idea of playing music that relates to the person, I think that brings their presence more to the occassion, and thoughts of good times often bring a smile, or some tears, but they are usually good feeling tears.

LMAO!  That means at my funeral, people will be hearing 70s disco, freestyle, and Madonna!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 09:35:19 am »
maybe instead of having my hands laid upon my chest, or at my sides, they can be placed by my face, so it looks like I'm vogueing.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 09:41:59 am »
I'm so sorry that so many of you have had such sad experiences, and horrible things said about loved ones. >:(

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 05:48:10 pm »
 :-* to all,

And David, I'll eb thinking of you in the next few weeks,
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 06:41:13 pm »
Hugs to you David and to your mother (who is now in heaven) !!

Offline keller

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 10:35:01 pm »
My first funeral was my twins, when she died at 20. She had told her friends (yes, they discussed it) that she wanted bright colors and sure enough that's what she got. I didn't know and I wore a purple color. Hers was very formal.

Both my parents were scattered at sea.

I want an informal funeral. People just sharing stories and connecting. Nobody worrying about what to wear, no church, since I'm pagan. That's the wake part. For the actual burial, burn me up and scatter my ashes in the forest, preferably near a stream. That way whenever someone sees a tree or is in a woods, they can think of me.

Although I don't expect a  lot of folks to show up for my funeral. My kids. My siblings maybe...