Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185100 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8430 on: December 05, 2006, 01:16:48 pm »
Just a distraction ..

This gives new meaning to Ennis' legbone condition ..   ::) 8)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8431 on: December 05, 2006, 02:33:06 pm »
Just in case anyone missed it,

I posted an original novel on my LJ for those of you who enjoyed the original characters in "The Laramie Saga" and want to see what else I do.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/161282.html  is the index to "Your Skinny Girl"

In hopes that sometime, somehow, my original fics will catch on, I created a thread for it as well:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6610.0

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8432 on: December 05, 2006, 02:43:09 pm »
Will be checking it out Louise!   ;)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #8433 on: December 05, 2006, 03:20:27 pm »
Because I love this scene so much, something for the gallery, and a quote:

Ellery Cantrell was an imposing figure, well over six feet tall as he bowed his head coming up the stairs, and stretched to his full height, clapping Bill hard on the shoulder and thrusting out a large, square hand to Ennis, who rose and accepted it. He had long, almost jet black hair, offset by pale, light grey eyes and a pale complexion, like pictures Ennis had seen of Doc Holliday, the infamous outlaw. And lean, almost as beanpole thin as Ennis himself, his figure made sharper by the trim black shirt, jet black leather vest and coal-black denims. When he spoke his voice was as deep as Ennis's own.

and a vest for the wardrobe department:

Leslie

Here is Doc Holliday

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8434 on: December 05, 2006, 03:37:51 pm »
and somewhere, (it was probably actually in a film!) I was sure I saw a long-haired Doc Holliday.  And later I couldn't find a long haired Doc Holliday to save my life and decided to save the revision of the original description for the 2nd edit!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8435 on: December 05, 2006, 08:33:31 pm »
A few more good quotes, these are from chapter 10....

He was acutely aware of Ellery, not as a man, but as a symbol. Police. He had heard what police thought about queers, and here he was, sitting here just as nice as you please with the owner of a queer bar talking about a fight between a married man and his queer boyfriend. It all seemed surreal to him, and he fought down an urgent desire to bolt out of the room, as if a trap were closing on him.

and

Ennis shook his head, still seething from Bill's comment. One thing he did not want to do was give Ellery any reason to believe he himself was queer. That would get him into his truck and out of Laramie before Bill could get his hat on. But what else would he think? He was in the bar, the bar was for queers only, who was he kidding? He already knew. The hair on Ennis's neck bristled once more and he gripped his cup as though he might fall off his chair at any moment.

L

Excellent quotes.  Isn't it ironic that the symbol that provoked fear in Ennis then became a factor in providing him with a measure of safety and comfort. 

Also ironic that we have Bill (and Pete) to thank for bringing E&E together!

On a less philosophical note, as to the image of Ellery coming up the stairs, I remember Ellery telling Ennis that one of the reasons he knew Ennis was queer was because Ennis was looking directly at Ellery's crotch when he came up the stairs!   :laugh: 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8436 on: December 05, 2006, 08:36:32 pm »

On a less philosophical note, as to the image of Ellery coming up the stairs, I remember Ellery telling Ennis that one of the reasons he knew Ennis was queer was because Ennis was looking directly at Ellery's crotch when he came up the stairs!   :laugh: 

Marie

True ..  ;D and Ennis was all surprised that he had been caught staring at Ellery's crotch .. he hadn't even noticed he was doing it or had he?! 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8437 on: December 05, 2006, 08:41:07 pm »
That was one thing that caught Ennis out big time.

yb

« Reply #8438 on: December 05, 2006, 09:44:23 pm »
And that was one of the endearing moments between Ennis and Ellery.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8439 on: December 06, 2006, 06:29:52 am »
Just a distraction ..

This gives new meaning to Ennis' legbone condition ..   ::) 8)

LOL Wow Lucise, that is some legbone he has there!!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.